1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buyer Beware: Frank Babuska Sr

Discussion in 'General' started by Ducti89, May 21, 2016.

1. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

Do you stand behind him with misrepresenting the bike(s) he's selling?

Text or email is often preferred in big monetary transactions to have this stuff in writing.

Neither you or your father are the ones that got screwed over in this transaction, I don't think either of you are in a position to dictate anything... And your "real men" comment...

Some would say that real men are honest in their buying and selling. Some would say that real men don't misrepresent something they're selling and some would also say that if an honest mistake is made real men will make it right.

Im not a plumber by the way.

2. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter if the builder built the engine or not.When you represent something,and sell as such,it's on you.15 years ago I sold a dirt bike that turned out stolen,I bought it at the mid Ohio swap meet.I always get a lisence #,this time I didn't,just a scrawled out receipt.When it turned out stolen upon my resale,the cops took the bike,I refunded the buyer no questions asked,didn't even think about not doing it.As for recourse,I had none,because I was too stupid to take an extra 2 minutes buying a bike,lesson learned.

R/T Performance and jschuster2 like this.
  3. Open your eyes and ears but we all know how paddock rumors are. If those people want to chime in I'm sure 1 or 2 wouldn't have an issue :). Not the first time an engine builder says one thing and gave another, this leaves the seller in a bad spot. These things get messy really quick.

Riders Discount and throwdown like this.
  4. Open my eyes and ears? I have been incredibly active on many motorcycle forums, facebook, racing and track day paddocks for 8 years, and have several friends that have had multiple bikes built and tuned by him. Like I said, this thread is the first time that I have seen/heard anything negative about him (it caught me so off-guard that I went back and read the post twice to make sure I didn't misread it). That doesn't mean the guy is perfect, nor does it mean negative rumors aren't out there. It simply means I have interacted with tons of people in various places, and I have never personally heard anything bad. That is all it means, nothing more, nothing less.

dylanes21 likes this.
  5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

this would assume that the builder was the one at fault in the first place, that the seller sold the OP what he thought was a 2mm motor. it's possible, but it seems more likely an honest mistake was made delivering the wrong bike. this of course also assumes what the OP is stating is true as well.. (not questioning it, just sayin)

6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I don't know any specifics here, but I would probably notice that my "built bike" could not run with a stock R6 and take that into consideration when selling that bike for a premium price.

7. I guess it is possible. But I would have a hard time believing somebody that used an excuse like "whoops, I accidentally brought you the wrong bike". I mean, that is a HUGE mistake and one that would be very hard to "accidentally" do.

When you also consider the missing Brembo parts also, it might be that he got the wrong bike. But it would be VERY hard for me to believe that it was an accident.

Grabbing the wrong key, or the brand of sugar, sure. "Accidentally" grabbing the wrong bike? Id have to call bullshit if somebody told me that.

8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Both the supersport and superbike had brembo masters, Chris.

9. Ducti89

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Time for a visit. You got shit-bummed.

11. Ducti89

The above is the superbike presented before it was brought to me. The seat i requested to be changed to a stock one (you see the after market one in the pic) as i prefer to sit in the bike.

Anyway, I draw your attention the master and adjuster....

12. Ducti89

13. Ducti89

Its not the best picture i have but note the markings on the triples area, specifically the "12P".

This is to substantiate the two pictures.

14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i agree on all counts.. I was trying to keep a "cup half full" mentality on this situation. (that there was an honest mistake on selling wrong bike). As hard as that is to fathom, the counter is tough to face as well..
    1) that a reputable builder sold a 2mm motor that was stock, and one would need to believe the former rider (who is mega talented) couldn't tell the 2mm was actually stock and that it was never on a dyno to compare the other bikes he owned at the time
    and/or
    2) the current seller knowingly sold a stock motor in a bike that was advertised as 2mm.

both are not pleasant to consider. I hope it was an honest mistake..

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Unless you have really super-duper concrete evidence of something nefarious by an engine builder, any engine builder, they need left completely out of this. I can give you one example where a new owner and bike came into my shop with one of "my" superbike 675 engines. Trouble is, I never built said engine for the previous owner, the engine # was not in my log book, and it made stock power. So be very, very careful bringing disrepute on somebody that may be completely innocent. That shit's not nice at all. As I said in that other thread, this crap happens ALL the time.

5axis, RichB, Canadian Bacon and 2 others like this.
  16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

There is no way that anyone with any experience could ride a bike and think a stock motor was a +2 superbike motor.
    The butt dyno would have told you something was not right on pit out for your first practice session...

17. Chip

Chip Registered

A couple of things....

- Stock Rods does not mean its not a 2mm motor.

- Has anybody check displacement?

- The builder has no control over the motor once it leaves his possession. If the original customer believes he was screwed by the builder, then the dispute is between the builder and the original customer. The seller should give the buyer his money back.

18. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I love your optimism my man. :D

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  19. Ducti89

The displacement has not been checked, although, Sr texted that Carillo rods were used.

At this point i will run the season out on the bike and refresh everything for resale or the next season.

20. Very true, could be a number of scenarios.