1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barber Formula 500 Shootout!

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by charles, Mar 24, 2005.

1. charles

charles The Transporter

Ohhhh....hmmmm.... well, since we're on this path, here's my take on the Moto-Formula 500:

1. Triumph (unless a faster HONDA shows up?)
    2. RD
    3. RD
    4. GS
    5. RD

2. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Modest... Schmodest!! This is a pretty tough crowd we've got here!! I've raced against almost everyone at one time or another, but rarely on similar bikes and never all of them at once. Cetainly, I used to be right up there with the fastest in the country, but things are a little different now.....
    I never go anywhere to finish 2nd either, but I'm very realistic about my chances. Hopefully, by luck, skill, or whatever it takes, I can win, but realistically, I'd be THRILLED with a podium in this crowd. I mean, what are there, like 40 National Championships between everybody thats going???? (41 if you count the one Spargo missed because he was taking a crap!):Poke: :D Then we factor in the fact that my bike is still essentially a F-RD spec 350, albeit, with a full fairing and MAYBE some bigger carbs. (if I can find the time this weekend...) Oh, yeah, I know it's not much, but I've never been to Barber, and even though I'm sure I'll pick it up quick, I won't be as comfortable as just about everyone else.
    Enough backpeddling already!!! I'm gonna show and ride my ass off and I'll finish where I finish!!

CAN'T WAIT!!!:beer:

3. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

I'd have to agree. There have been GNF's , and AHRMA's F500's at Daytona and Ohio, but I'm not sure there has been a race of this level in quite some time, in anyone's arena. And what's cool about it is, this is not a national championship on the line. This is about braggin rights, at one of the most rider-intense tracks we go to. My hat's off to whoever can pull this off. I just hope nobody has a mechanical and it goes clear to the end as a fair fight.
    :clap:

4. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Hold the phone grasshopper, only when you snatch the bag of sand from my hand can you leave the Temple of baggers to walk the earth as a Master Bagger...

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain and his Faux bag of sand, his shit is deep but my boots are high! Maybe this, maybe that

:rolleyes:

Make no mistake "The Bike" is coming to lay waste to us all. With my overweight streetbike(and body, I'm fat as ever) with dragbars, I only hope I can keep him in sight.

And whats this showing up to practice on friday shit?!? Foul Ball... Any self respecting vintage racer so up just in time for a track walk at dusk at best. May you be forced to rebuild a topend friday nite with one hand behind your back!

Everyone drive safe and I'll see you there if the truck doesn't break down.

Bob :beer: :rock:

5. lizard84

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Come on, are you guys serious????

ouch:wow:

6. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

All I will add is that if the bikes ready, I'll be ready. I've never raced an RD, but if it is just a little more crude than an RZ, it should be fine. BTW, I wouldn't enter if I didn't think I had a chance at 1st. Time to ride "Spies" style I think. I wonder if bark busters could be fitted to the bike?

How's that for some smack biatches!! (ya'll have been too nice lately) :wow:

7. charles

charles The Transporter

Well, well, well...so here we go, finally: the clock ticks, just like in
    "High Noon," and the suspense builds... already we have some riders here making a case for winning...but, wait, do I hear the
    HONDA??? Buff??? (you rike basu-ball???) Let's do a tally of who's coming fer sure and get some predictions going...wonder if there's a purse for this Moto-Formula 500??? That's be swell, huh?

8. cspargo

cspargo Well-Known Member

I'll pitch in $10 for purse money to the winner. Anybody else?

Oh, an I'll keep my predictions to myself, thank you very much - Throw one cracked rib into my sand-bag...:cool:

9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I'm in for that.

BTW, I hurt my pinky finger typing on the bbs. This may slow me down some come race day. Where is Dr. Ting when you need him? :p

10. charles

charles The Transporter

Okay, I'm on also for the "purse money," except if it gets to
    several thousand dollars, Buff has to fire up the HONDA, that is, if it is what he sez it is...and I'll throw in a bottle of wine or champagne for the winner, unless it is Mark M., who criticizes my wine selections... and an official belly pan for Chris...

Come Monday, let's see some pre-race predictions, with some names attached to the brand...

11. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Predictions? I honestly don't have any. I could make some educated guesses as to who will come out there with more horsepower. But on a track like Barber, how much will that matter? Hard to say. Whose handling setup is best will matter more, and that's completely subjective. Talent? There's plenty of that. Most of these guys have shown that they can win if they aren't having problems. That's why this is gonna be so good. There are no foregone conclusions.

12. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

yes....clubman and the D classes

13. charles

charles The Transporter

Hmmm, well you're right, Carl... but it's worth a prediction anyway... I say we see a tight race between Spargo, Mark, Joe, Bob "The Doctor", Tim, Bob W., and Buff if he decides to unsheath the HONDA...the four-strokes might prevail here over the Evil 2-Stroke Horde, but count on the Horde to keep it very very close...if Buff throws a leg over the Honda, I think it is then a battle for second place...I get to say all these things because I won't be on the podium...what say ye?

14. lizard84

I predict the beer will be cold:beer:

15. Dave164

Dave164 Well-Known Member

I predict I will kick all your a****

oops, forgot I have not got a bike, cancel the last remark :D

16. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

WHY DONT YOU ASK SPARGO WHAT HIS LAP TIMES WERE LAST YEAR....

17. cspargo

cspargo Well-Known Member

I wish I was organized enough to have lap times...

18. evilhordewannabe

evilhordewannabe Well-Known Member

PREDICTIONS

As Carl said, Barber is not a horsepower track. Last year Bob Weber stayed right with Bob McCally even though Bob M.'s bike was faster in a straight line. At least that was from my perspective as I was following both of them. I think the track layout favors the 4 strokes just a little, but I think rider skill will determine the outcome, not so much bike performance, because the usual top guys seem pretty evenly matched. The cool thing about this race is you have Tim, Buff, Mark, and Chris who historically win races, as long as they don't break down. Normally they only have one or maybe two guys to really race against in their class on a given weekend. How will they respond to battling with 4 or 5 guys of comparable skill for the entire race? Then add in Bob McCally, Bob Weber, and Joe P., who I'd expect to be right in the mix. Just so you know, I only seperated these two groups for the following reasons: Bob M. has less experience than the first group, and I think that will hurt his chances for the win at the end of the race, but I think he will be in the lead pack. Bob W. is fat, and he is riding a heavy underpowered street bike, so he really is no threat. I know that's what he wants the competition to think right up until the end of the race, so I'll just stick with his story. Joe P. will be riding a borrowed bike. I don't think that would be a major drawback for him in a "normal" F-500 grid, but in this company, I can't see him beating these guys on an unfamiliar bike.
    With this many good bikes and riders going head to head, I think one of two things will happen. One guy will be on top of his game, and have the track down, and check out, while the top group slows each other down fighting for position. OR, with such intense competition, someone is going to make a mistake or break their equipment, pushing harder than normal. Either way, it's going to be exciting to see how it shakes out. Here's my prediction, assuming everyone shows up, and finishes the race, which I am not sure will happen.

1. Tim or Buff
    2 Mark or Chris
    3. Bob W. or Bob M
    4 Joe P.
    5. CHARLES!!!!!
    6. Todd

Really this is all jus to make conversation, and I honestly don't have a clue waht will happen, but we are going to find out soon enough.... :up:

19. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Re: PREDICTIONS

My Laps for last years Barber showed a 5 second lead at the end of the first lap I continued to pull away when my Con rod bearing let go at the pit entry ending the second lap, if that is right with me then ok I by me.. ;) Bob was having BAD chatter and other problems so it is not a fair comparison....

I personally believe it will come down to the combination of rider and equipment, Tim has the most time at Barber and he will certainly put that to good use, the Tri-500 is on rails, he will try and break the pack early, Spargo will be having non of that, Chris probably has the fastest over all package, including the fastest bike and when combined with his riding skill it may be more than any of us can overcome. If Buff is there he will certainly figure PROMINENTLY in the mix, I think he has a similar amount of time at Barber to Tim..

The balance of the field will come down to equipment, handling and rider,,, With Weber on the GS if he does not have handling issues is certainly capable and his bike is MORE than fast enough, you can't count out Joe P nor Mark M... again it will come down to handling and equipment, both of them have plenty of riding skill to take a slight underdog of a bike and but it on the top step.... I think I heard that Kevin Brown may be there to, he gets around Barber at a good pace and is on a Barlow bike so it certainly seems as if there will be 5-8 pretty top notch guys to dual it out,, so long as everyone keeps their respective heads and there is not a big wad up in the first couple of laps it should make for a great race.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  20. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

I am not racing (didn't get the 250 finished) but Pat and I plan to come over for the event - just to see the Formula 500 race. Now, Paul has to work so his TZ 350 is in my shop. Handling wasn't good at Roebling, haven't figured out the emulators yet, but any of that top group want to rent a bike? Maybe one of the under-dogs? (You have to be familiar with two strokes....)
    Lyn Garland