1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Bama crackers and the Constitution.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SIX, Aug 25, 2003.

1. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

The north didn't care about slavery, the south did because they needed it...... how many cotton farms they have in the north where they needed hundreds of people to go out in a hot field and pick cotton by hand, and pick out seeds by hand????? None, they didn't need the type of hard labor in the north, so they didn't need slaves, so they wanted it abolished and didn't care what the south thought..... the civil war was about bleeding heart liberals thinking they were the only people in the country......

2. mad brad

mad brad Guest

just for the record. i think slavery is as fucked up as the next guy.

just correcting the notion that the civil war was about slavery. and the notion that only the south wanted/needed it. it was never the case. who knows what the state of affairs would be like if the south had agreed to pay the heavy taxes levied by the government.

i just get sick of the stupid daveK mentality that all southerners are bucktoothed idjits in a trailer with furniutre on the porch next to appliances. next they'll say the confederate flag is a blatant symbol of racism.

ignorance is everywhere, and it is widely on display by a couple of people from virginia, and one idiot from texas. :up:

3. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

Also for the record, slavery was fucked up...... but I would also like to point out the great quality of life increase all the ex slaves have, just look at liberia.... if you're a bleeding heart liberal, would you rather someone be a slave, being fed, and housed, or free living on the street, and shooting up each other as they die of starvation, ie, Liberia........

4. mad brad

mad brad Guest

another myth: slaves all came from africa.

bzzzzzztt. most came from the spice islands, and the carribean.

5. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Brad, reread my posts and you'll see that we actually agree on most everything. Tee Hee

They (Slaves) came from africa via the spice islands and carribean where they were used to harvest sugar cane, something the white europeans were not built for.

6. mad brad

mad brad Guest

built for? careful jimmy the greek. :p

7. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

8. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

What the hell is this? You guys obviously learned nothing from the union - non-union thread. :D :D :D

9. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Q: What do Virginia and Texas have in common?

A: They are both considered the south!

:Poke:

:D

Ya'll fun to mess with, beeeetch.... ;)

10. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

lol!

11. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

The reason for any war is usually not the business nor the concern of the soldier. But extend that thought to the average Joe on the street. In 2003, even with the benefit of 24 hour news, TV, radio, the Internet, the telephone, newspapers, magazines, etc., we can't agree on the reason why we're in Iraq. Imagine Bubba standing on the street corner in Charleston in 1861 - how did he get his news and form his opinion about going to war?

12. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

True, but we're not rounding up folks and sending them off to combat in Iraq, either. To the average person, the war in Iraq is a curiosity on TV (familys of current service personnel excepted, of course) and not something they're going to actively take part in, on any level.

The Civil War, on the other hand, took place in everyone's backyard. Armies formed up out of townspeople to go and fight it. Given that, folks had to have a reason to go to war. And I just don't see the average 1800's white guy deciding he's going to risk his life (and that risk was significant, given the medical technology of the day) to free black slaves in the South. To preserve the Union, OK. To determine the power level of the Federal Government, OK. But the whole "free the slaves" thing just doesn't make sense. Unless we're to believe that the folks in the mid-1800's were a whole lot more progressive than the people of today.

13. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Hey Brad,

Gobert = Sherman
    Hacking = Lee

:Poke: :D

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Close Bruce.

Mladin = Sherman
    AMA superbike series = south.

15. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I see

Let me try

Spies = Atom Bomb
    AMA FX series = Hiroshima

How was that???

16. mad brad

mad brad Guest

that's EXACTLY what i would expect some silly assholes to say when i ask them the questions that will shut them the hell up.

tools.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sorry, what was the question again? I missed it.

18. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too.

Mornin' Dave.:D

Oh, and being called a "tool" is right up there with being called a "butthole"

makes me giggle every time. :D

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've been called worse..... already today by Sam. :D

Mornin' Tex. :)

20. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Yep, slavery was the basis for the economic success of a small ruling percentage of the population in the South. This success in agriculture (re: money) was a basis for conflict, as you have said yourself.

so if they want to tax slave labor...then don't slaves have somethign to do with it???? :Poke:

Actually they did. They were not tree huggin sissies like the animal activists :D But they were concerned with it. The north had no need for slaves like the south in general, so the concept was not one that sat well with the majority. "house" slaves were treated like family in the north, work slaves were treated like livestock in the south.

Nope, the north fought in the interest of preserving what they had worked so hard to obtain from Brittian. Did you not read my other posts at all???

Tool.:rolleyes: