1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Bama crackers and the Constitution.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SIX, Aug 25, 2003.

1. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Oh so it was the Labor Unions' fault not the Union Soldiers? :D :p

2. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

What's more interesting is all the Northern whites who went to war, risking their very lives, to liberate Southern blacks, and yet according to Jesse Jackson there's still a racist under every bed in the North and the South.

Go figure.

:rolleyes:

3. mad brad

mad brad Guest

the fact that ANYONE thinks the civil war was over slavery is rediculous. the north was perfectly happy with the south having slaves. they just wanted the profitable south to be heavily taxed, so that the industrialist north could get on their feet. when the south said no, and seceded from the union, then it became a problem. you guys need to at least know about the south before you go and talk shit.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The causes of “The War of Northern aggression” were numerous. To pin it down on slavery, taxation or not enough fiber in someone’s diet is comical.

But in the end, who really cares what the causes were. The South lost, the North won. The Union was preserved and now we are forced to listen to the descendents of the losers cry about it.

"Whaaa, Sherman should have been tried as a war criminal" "The North fought unfair" "Lee was never defeated". Nope, you were warned and you suffered the consequences, deal with it Cleatus.

5. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Actually, the South's wealthy 4% of slave owners owned about 80% of the region's wealth. In the South during that time, you either had slaves, wanted slaves, or aspired to inherit slaves. It was status. So yeah, it was easy to rally the troops to the "Southern way of thinking." Those who ruled the southern half (re: the wealthy) were in now way willing to give up their riches for Northern tyranny and rule. They came up with the bright idea of leaving the Union...that is where things got ugly.

If you read diary entries of Northern Soldiers, you will discover that their reasoning for fighting to the death initially revolved around the south's desire to remove itself from the Union, and create its own republic. Northern soldiers were fighting for freedom that thier fathers and grandfathers fought for in claiming the America's initially from the Brittish, and were not going to give up the nation to the South without a fight. It is very common to hear of soliders not caring one way or anohter about the "negros" when freedom was at stake. There were the die hard emancipation soldiers, but they were not as popular as you might of thought.

6. mad brad

mad brad Guest

especially since the emancipation proclamation was created after the war.

it was about money people. nothing else. there was NO "get rid of your slaves or else" ultimatum. it was the last thing on abe lincoln's mind. there wasn't a "let's go free the slaves" mentality among the union soldier's.

another common myth about the war.

oh, and nothing will be more of a crime than what general sherman and his band of criminals did.

7. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i suggest you shut the hell up until you at least read one book dave.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It is often written that Sherman was trying to destroy the South's ability to wage war. Not true. He was trying to burn the stupid out of the South's gene pool. Didn't work or maybe he should have burned some more.

Burning down the house, the south's house..... :D

9. mad brad

mad brad Guest

you are dead to me asshole.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I red lot O' books. Like "Tippy Turtle gets Turrets" and "Big book of pop ups of southern cliques". Oh, my favorite is "The little red book", you imperialist dog. :D

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Sorry to break the news to you but it is the same gene pool you swam in if you are an ancestor of the Colonials. :p

12. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

And if not, you're one of the damn immigrants whose families weren't even HERE in 1865! :D :p So butt out, it's not your fight!

13. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I don't know about that. South Carolina was threatening to secede as early as 1852. Their basis was clearly because they felt that their constitutional rights were being trampled on because they wanted to maintain slavery and wanted the federal government and the rest of the Union to butt out.

If Jefferson Davis would have just stuck to killing Mexicans the whole thing would have blown over. But no, he had to issue his resolutions to Congress in 1860 presenting the weak argument that slavery was a state's business and that the Feds had no say in the matter. In fact, he argued that the Union should protect any individual member state's right to slavery. That pissed a few people off.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Half were here since the late days of the 1600's and the other half had some members marching into France in the late 30's. :D

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I think my ancestors were marching into France. :p

16. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Yeah, like who hasn't marched into France at one time or another. :D

17. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

LOL! That literally made me lol!

:D

18. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

A little bitter still, eh? ;)

I saw an interview with one of the main curators of some Civil War Battlefield (it was either Manassas (Bull Run) or Gettysburgh, I don't remember) and he made the statement that at the core, the Civil War was ABSOLUTELY over slavery and it's affect on the south's economy. All those other things were just fuel to the fire. He commented that people (esp. in the south, but in the north as well) have been taught that it wasn't over slavery because of DENIAL, surely we wouldn't fight over our right to keep slaves....

Now I'm not sure if this guy is who we'd call an expert, but I'll venture a guess he is more versed on the subject than most of the folks here OR our history teachers...

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The French. Now if you had asked who has surrendered in France then the answer would also be the French.

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

What makes you think that. Does he have some magical source of information that the history books and teachers don't. He gets his info from the same place everyone else does... he just reads it more. :p