1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Bama crackers and the Constitution.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SIX, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I'm off to Spanish class..Adios

man, its early....this isn't any fun. :(

Brad...I'll deal with you after my history class later:p :D

2. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

gentlemen this is mildly amusing....

3. mad brad

mad brad Guest

lame.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Brad, if you want a serious debate on causes and results of the US civil war, I'll have to do it later.

But a quick opinion: Slavery was not the only cause of the Civil War (actually you are right in that is was a relatively minor cause in the grand scheme), there was economic, philosophical and just plain cultural differences that let to the clash.
    I'm far from an expert on the civil war, since I haven't read or researched anything on it in years. This period in our history really doesn't interest me that much (which is surprising since I now live where the majority of the fighting took place i.e. Manassas, numerous NoVa battlefields and an hour from Gettysburg).

If you want, I'll be more then willing to play on this subject when my clients leave later today.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh yeah Brad, Sherman wants to know why you didn't call him back? He preparing for his march to VIR and wanted to know if you wanted to get up with him and Sam Sherman. ;)

6. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Quite interesting how so many motorcycle racers know so damn much about what the people were thinking back during the civil was. Hmmm some special history books that Lockhart Phillips sells or is there a section in Roadracingworld regarding history of the US? We've pretty much proved that history lessons in high school are slanted depending on who was doing the teaching. :p

:Poke: :Poke:

Let's face it, too damn many stories told from both sides of the fence.

I think we all agree that slavery was is and will always be a terrible thing and should have been abolished long before it was.

7. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Hey, guess what, they moved the stupid piece of rock last night.:up:

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

HEY BRAD!!! is this thing on? Testing testing one two three four.....testing.

9. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Screw you hippie.

Cival war was about Economics.
    Slaves were a part of southern Economics
    Cival war was not about "slavery", but it was partially about "slaves"

You could argue that the shiner I'm going to give you when we meet is a result of blood rushing to the spot traumatized...or you could say it is from 5 knuckles colliding with your face at a rapid speed.

Either way you get the shiner. :D

Bad analogy, I know. But it was fun thinking of smacking that melon of yours. :D

My original post should be edited to say that the North's biggest problem with ending slavery, was that slaves would come north. Many states passed legislation to aid in keeping the slaves down south. this supports my original claim that the north wasn't fighting against slavery. They were fighting to keep a Union created by the blood of their forefathers.

Did I mention screw you hippie? :D

10. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Oh thank goodness. Now the crushing forces of Christianity have finally been halted and we can go on with our lives. :rolleyes:

Wonder how many people read the ten commandments in the last month just to see what the big deal was. :D

11. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

The big deal was the the seperation of church and state.:Poke:

12. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

WRONG!! Its all about the Atheist/Satanic World Conspiracy (ASWC) taking God out of everything so Satan (Hillary Clinton) can run and win the Presidency!! Where have you been, loser???

Rodger

13. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Andoh yeah, the abolitionist movement had nothing to do with the Civil War. . . :rolleyes:

14. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

ROTFLMBO!!!

Finally, someone gets it!!! :D

15. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

the abolitionist snowman is just a hoax...:cool:

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, it was an ugly rock. Looks like a horrible waste of granite. The Artist should be ashamed of that "creation".

17. jessica_rabbit

jessica_rabbit Mayniac

If this is true... then why is it that so many of the Southern slaves stayed in the South... with thier previous owners... on thier previous owners plantations... after they were declared "Free" ?!? :tut:

That is just one ridiculous statement... The next time you go blabbing your mouth I suggest you read more than "Idiot's Guide to the Cliff's Notes of Southern History" !!! :Poke:

Also... just a bit of advice here... Don't speak on a topic, unless you "Know" the topic... It just makes you appear "Stewpid" !!!

18. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

You sound like one of those hillbillies that think slaves didn't have it so bad.

"heck, they got fed, and had good honest work, as much as they wanted."

as far as why did they stay... Jessica, ever hear of a share cropper?

Do you think so many slaves stayed in the south because they loved it so much?

If you step away from the hippies guide to the cival war you will realize that most of the slaves couldn't afford to do anything else, seeing how they had no income, no land, nothing that was theirs. Most stayed and did the same thing they did as slaves, but on a small parcel of land owned by someone else. It was a system of perpetual debt that very few escaped.

If you lost your job today and had nothing, would you walk barefoot 3,000 miles because you think people would be more accepting of you, or would you take the work offered to keep yourself and your family from starving?

Good day to you madam.

:D

19. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

What you should have said was...the north really didn't a damn about slaves anymore than the south did. It may have made a few northern folks (feel good) they were freed but most could have cared less. Civil war was fought for the same reasons most wars are. Money and power or Power and money.

20. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I was leaving that out, it might offend some northerners that believe everyone in their family was anti slavery. Heck, Ohio and a few other northern states actually passed laws to help keep the slaves out.

So few people realize that things like Jim Crow Laws, Seperate but Equal, Voting requirements (grandfather clause, literacy, etc.), and the like were in place in the entire country...not just in the south.

But I just got that from my cliff notes of the Cival war. :D