1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Bama crackers and the Constitution.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SIX, Aug 25, 2003.

1. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

That "dickhead" just wanted to go back to the pre-1950's version of the Pledge of Allegance, the one with no reference to God.

It worked just fine for over 150 years so I think we should stick with it, rather than going with the Red Scare version.

2. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

what is so hard to understand about seperation of church and state????? that includes no praising of any god in any pledges to our country, and no ten commandments on government grounds.... there are plenty of prominent alabama war heros, or former politicians that can have something commemorating them in that spot, it's not like they have a memorial for EVERYONE somewhere, and that spot has to be taken by the ten commandments, why can't these people get this through their heads?

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Zeb, you know the answer.
    Some people feel that America was built on God, Guns and guts. Threaten to take any of the G's out and they feel like you can not be a part of their America.
    Others feel that America affords them the ultimate freedom of total freedom. Their rights are foremost. They do not feel God has any part in America and you are infringing on their rights when he is mentioned. Same with Guns. They forget their rights end where the next persons begins. Prayer has no place in school and this is true even if someone chooses to pray, or so they believe.

Where is the middle ground? How do we find a place for the "average" american who doesn't want to be forced to pray in school or that may not might if the neighbors kid chooses to?

Wild sh@t if you think about it.

4. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Actually, Florida would be a nice place to live if it weren't infested with grouchy retired Yankees. It takes y'all years to get 'em that grouchy- please KEEP 'em! :Poke:

5. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

Yeah...

Just becasue the "State" shouldn't sponsor a specific religion, doesn't mean it should go out of its way to PREVENT any sign of it.

What I don't get are the athiest and agnostic people who get all pissed off and raise a fuss about any kind of religous symbol or mention in government. When I was younger and knew everything :rolleyes: I was pretty much an athiest. If you don't believe something, then why would you care if there was a rock with a passage from the bible on it in a court house or a Buddest shrine in an aclove at a State run hospital?

As long as the government doesn't require you to belong to a faith to get along in life, why bitch unless you've just replaced one belief system for another?

6. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

OOOOGLOMPFFFFFF!!

:Puke:

:eek:

I agree with mtk!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Life as we know it is over!!;)

:Poke:

Rodger

PS: What mtk said.:D

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Phuck the atheist. :D

We should beat them all to death with bibles. :p

I'm afraid that the south seems to be more concerned with preserving the Constitution as opposed to the rest of the Nation with exception of religious issues. Actually, most people outside ofthe major cities are more in line with maintaining the Constitution. As far as I'm concerned the Ten Commandments should be allowed if tax dollars didn't pay for it. Just like the prayers and pledge of allegience should be allowed but not mandatory just like when I was in school(not everyone participated and that was fine). Don't know alot about the details in this case but the taxpayers probably did pay for that monument and I feel that crossed the line for separation of church and state.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My only problem was that it is a blatantly Christian type of deal, that is uncool because it leaves the feeling that the Alabama courts wouldn't find fairly for any other religion. Which is probly true to an extent but they should at least pretend they won't act like that. If they are oging to have one religions stuff in the courthouse then they should give space to every other religion out there - and that would of course be ridiculous so they need to remove the dang thing and get back to being an arm of the government - not a religious institution.

9. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I feel that this was out of line too. The thing was huge and the judge was being very defiant from what I've seen.

Do they still swear on the bible in the courtroom? ;)

11. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Well, I hate to start rumours and all that, but I heard that the story about Moses going up the mountain and seeing a burning bush, and being given tablets of stone with 10 commandments on them? yeah, well, I've been told thats a crock of shit and was made up by some drunk cleric in Jerusalem after he gambled all of his gold talents on camel racing.

...oh, but that one about Noah and his floating zoo is all 100% true fact.:rolleyes:

12. cscott

cscott DJ Kitty Baby!

I guess I'm the minority opinion here, but as far as I'm concerned they shouldn't have to remove the monument. The 10 commandments used to be engraved into the very structure of the national archives (this is where the constitution used to be kept at). I'm guessing that will not be torn down/covered over.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Probably, I'd prefer they use a copy of the constitution, or even better a listing of all the dead soldiers and cops...

cscott - It doesn't matter where it is inscribed - unless the powers are willing to give equal time to all religions they shouldn't have anything religious. It's an all or nothing kind of thing with regard to the government and religion. The founders of this country were all pretty much Christian which is cool by me - but they understood that America should stand for freedom of expression by all religions and the government as an entity should have nothing to do with it.

FWIW I don 't want the government posting copies of the Koran or any other religious text in government buildings. I also think that if they did the same protestors would totally, absolutely freak out and demand that it be removed (can ya tell I'm not a fan of hypocrisy?)...

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

To be serious on the subject:

If the court house had been built with the monument in it, or if it had added something of architectual value to the building then I'd say leave it alone (and it had a part of the court house for decades). But Judge Clown snuck the monument into the building in the middle of the night after the group pushing for it were told no.
    Yank it out, fire the judge, shoot the Demicrats and burn their houses.... wait, nix the last two but take the "monument" out and donate it to the local church and fire the judge.

Then burn their villages..... :D

15. cscott

cscott DJ Kitty Baby!

Mongo, I honestly wouldn't argue or side against what you just said, that is perfectly fair to me. But, I'm no fan of a federal court getting involved with an issue that, I think, should be decided by the state.

16. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Umm, no. Despite what revisionist history you may have been fed, the South fought the civil war because of slavery. The whole "States Rights" thing was just a PC spin on it.

18. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Rich is right. I'm from a formerly agriculturally-based Southern community. My father even had 30 acres of tobacco that he sharecropped out when we were kids.

Therefore, I inherently know the exact, real, non-spin reason for the Civil War. Whitey land-owners had absolutely no intention of picking cotton or pulling tobacco themselves in the hot, humid weather of the South.

Nope, they preferred to play "gentleman farmer," drinking bourbon, riding their horses, and occasionally, when the wife and children were shopping in Richmond or Charleston, bring their "Jayne Kennedy" up to the big house. ;)

As proud as I am of being born, raised and living in the South, I cannot for one second justify the enslaving of one group of people based on color. Face it, Buckwild and Glover are about as nice and intelligent people as you will find anywhere on the face of the earth. How could "State's Right" possibly have precedent over the inherent human rights of people like them? :mad:

Had the combustible engine and tractor with various implements including the air-conditioned cab and Johnny Paycheck 8-track tape been invented before 1861, there would not have BEEN a Civil War. Oh yeah, Mexican immigrant laborers, too.

Brad Wilson, let the flaming begin!!! :D

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Kind of interesting that less than 5%(correct me if I'm wrong) of the Southern people owned slaves but they all went to war for that very reason alone. Interesting huh? ;)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2003
  20. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Yeah, those five percent (the gentry) told the rest of the Southern whites: "Hey, if the Yankees take away our black slaves...errr, excuse me, our States Rights, guess who's gonna be picking cotton and pulling tobacco? Yeah, you guys, so get to fighting."

:Poke: