1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to health insurance...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Mongo, Nov 8, 2017.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I have no idea what you're asking as it relates to the discussion, you'll have to ask the entire question you want to ask.

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Only partially true. Doctors, hospitals etc aren't required to accept medicare so they can avoid being crushed...of course the pool of clients is smaller too.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, I caved and signed up again. Looked at it all and have way too many things tied to Evelyne to take a chance at losing it all if something happens to me.

So 50% higher rate for basically no coverage.

Now to look at what it takes to get my name off of anything major for 2019 then rethink no insurance....

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Did they get rid of the requirement to buy it in the new tax bill like they wanted ?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No clue, it's a moot point for my concerns tho. I could have paid the fine, however our money dude made an annoyingly good point about what would happen with bankruptcy and so on as tied together as we are on major things like the house. Neither of us has a real retirement fund of any sort so I can't chance the equity in the house. Hoping between that and selling WERA at some point she'll be good to go when I die.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was just about to post the same thing. I believe they did.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I could have told you that for free.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I could have too but being pissed off at spending more than 1/4 of my take home had a wee bit of influence on my thinking at the time :D

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I know how you get when you're determined to ride a dumb idea to the end because: emotion. So I stayed away. :D

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Emotion on this one but not normally, normally it's boredom mixed in with refusing to understand why people aren't thinking the way I do :crackup:

crashman likes this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

badmoon692008 and SuddenBraking like this.
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Damn straight. When I take my dog to the vet, one of the first things THEY bring up is the price of the procedure. When I go to the doctor, they flat out won't tell you. In fact, they usually have contracted with a third party company to go over my charts and figure out the absolute MOST they can charge me and my insurance by law. Saying it's fucked up is the understatement of the year.

13. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

That's why I sorta liked not having insurance the last year I had my business.

After talking to the doc and telling him I was paying cash . He would find the prices of what I needed before he even talked to me about tests, medication etc....

It definitely made me more aware of the cost and in some cases made me a better consumer.

14. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

My MRI on insurance: $3,850
    The self paid MRI that I got: $995

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That’s criminal

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

++++ In addition they should require the billing to be written in plain english. No more codes, 5 different columns of who pays what ending up with what you owe. This scheme is how the "non-profits" hide their income. Oh! We didn't make a profit because we charged $10,000 but the insurance only covered $2,000 so we "lost" $8,000"! Meanwhile they are building Taj Mahal hospitals like there's no tomorrow.

Foe example, I recently got a billing for my Mom. The Podtritrist (sp?) charged $2300 for clipping her toe nails. Insurance covered $237 and the bill was satisfied. Wanna bet the Doc took a tax deduction for the remainder?

badmoon692008 and Britt like this.
  17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've seen a couple articles about some docs that have started a no insurance, cash only hospital with all the pricing on a chart on the wall. can't remember where, I think Iowa , middle of the country ish anyway. Use google if you care. It was becoming quite successful and others were in the works I think. Health care without all the bullshit.

18. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Fixified.

I always use this example in my benefits meetings as a perk for a new audit firm we worked with. They would pay cost + 12%. This was a real life example from a hospital down in Chicago. MRI bill - $7000. Insurance agreed rate - $3500. Actual cost to perform - $432. Audit firm would pay $483. Don’t like it? Take us to court and prove why you should get more than a guaranteed 12% profit. Since 2007, they’d never lost.

This is/has been my biggest issue with ACA. It never even attempted to address the real issue behind medical ... the costs. It simply forced everyone into bed together so the insurance companies and med providers can rape us easier.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That shit will be the end of us one day. It's just not sustainable. You think the housing market crash was bad, wait until healthcare goes bust. It's TRILLIONS of dollars annually.

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Was the upper figure what the insurance paid OR what they were billed???

It's always been my understanding that it's part of the game those two play. Healthcare facilities KNOW insurance companies are going to undercut their bill so they inflate it accordingly. It's ALL BS and it needs to stop. Government (both sides) had how many yrs to fix it??? And yet here we are still. Hoping the Donald can simplify that sooner than later.