1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to health insurance...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Mongo, Nov 8, 2017.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Self respect and personal responsibility are so outdated. Get with the times!:D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It priced me out but I though we figured out last month I wasn't middle class?

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Yes but you are also not willing to get on the dole, monster.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have issues obviously. I have considered the firing and collecting unemployment - but that's another thing that we've paid into over the years.

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

That issue is generally a positive character trait in my experience, I just had to terrorize you.

6. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I got a quote for Obamacare today for my family of 5 in Arizona

The cheapest plan is $2,017 a month with a $13,600 deductable

It's 25% more than my mortgage!

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Just smile and be happy that you are helping the bums and losers of society get in to a doctor for free when they have the sniffles...

brex and trussdude like this.
  8. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

How does his premimum pay for others?

9. joec

joec brace yourself

When I had ARMOR the ama racing insurance, I always told people if I get hurt badly to take to the nearest race track. Lol

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

How do you think they get the money to give others tax credits? The whole scheme relies on enough people paying the ridiculous premiums so that they can funnel benefits to the "poor folks" that they hope will vote for them the next election cycle.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

How does the guy who picks up the check at dinner pay for others?
    This is real simple stuff.

crashman likes this.
  12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Tax credits come from the government and funded by everybody taxes, even "poor folks" pay taxes. Premiums are applied to the individual insurance. If he didn't pay a premium then the insurance company would not be provided a tax subsidy. His premium does not pay for others "poor folks" insurance, his taxes does.

13. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

It doesn’t pay for the whole diner, it only pays for that table.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Do you really think 24 grand a year with a 13 grand deductible is the true cost of insurance for a family of five? By the way, the Supreme Court already decided that O'care was a tax so you both really are on the same wave length....;)

15. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I never said it was.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The premiums are calculated based on a specific pool, not on an individual level. People are forced to pay a higher than reasonable premium to bring in extra money to help offset the costs of the freeriders.
    And the whole taxes vs. premium argument. If you have money in your left pocket and your right pocket does it really matter what pocket the money comes out of? All I know is some people pay alot more in to the system so that others can pay less for exactly the same services.

TXFZ1 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It covers all of those the insurance companies must now take who lose them money every year. Pre existing conditions and the like that they don't charge extra for and are legally required to insure.

18. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I now see your point but there are more factors that determine a premium. For me even different cities within the state affected the amounts. I read there is a rider on the tax reform which will remove the IRS penalty for not having insurance. I wonder which would be better Medicare for all, IRS penalty, or people walking away from hospital bills after being treated?

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You can't do Medicare for all.
    Medicare relies on their size and position as part of the government (read go along with us or we will crush you) to underpay for services. Others pay more so a profit can still be made.
    All Medicare means no profit, thus no services.

20. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

So the government has never been a regulatory oversight for commerce?