1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to health insurance...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Mongo, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So, monthly cost $390 to $605, deductible from 6k 60 $6800. Still covers nothing until I pay the deductible.

I can't believe that for the first time in over 20 years I won't have insurance in 2018.

I wonder what happens if I get fired and run the numbers?

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So for 7260 you can buy insurance that pays above 6800. So as long as your cost stay under 14K you come out ahead. Sounds like catastrophic only at a pretty high premium. To bad the #@$#@ in DC did not just do a full repeal but instead choose to 'help'

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

aint no way I would pay that. Is that a joint (family) policy?
    Not sure how GA is but FL you get $10,000 medical with your auto insurance.
    So if you get sick/injured... do it around your car(s)! :D

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Ouch. Sorry to hear. Did you previously have an Obamacare plan or was it through work? Obamacare is entering the inevitable death spiral, it only gets worse from here. There are options for multiple small businesses to join forces and expand their risk pool, I’m fuzzy on the details but I know it’s an option. You can structure it such that the business doesn’t pay anything additional for benefits but you personally at least capture the benefit of paying from pre-tax income. You have a few more options than some would. Sucks to deal with though, I know it takes away time dealing with BS that you could otherwise put to destroying road racing :D

5. SGVRider

Yeah that should almost cover an ambulance ride assuming it’s ground only and checking your vital signs. After that you’re selling kidneys or declaring bankruptcy.

6. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Good news: no rate, deductible, or coverage changes for 2018.

Bad news: 2017 was already a shit sandwich.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

And the Democrats will be following it down like crows, squalking about how it is Trumps fault that the shit legislation that had almost no chance of success that they passed fails as it spirals in to the dirt. The truly shitty part is the lemmings will believe them because they did not notice the wheels starting to come off already when Obama was in office. The only chance of success they had was a full repeal and a brand new system but they fucked that up. My guess is that if they keep trying to "fix" the system it will collapse in flames and we will see single payer sooner rather than later.

8. SGVRider

Single payer was the objective this whole time. The Dems did a good job. They managed to set it up so they’d get what they wanted in 10-15 years. We’ll throw money at it to prop it up for a few years. Single payer will come. Whether it’s in the form of an honest program (doubtful) or some kind of fascist merger between the insurance companies and the government is yet to be seen. My bet is that we get single payer by backdoor crony capitalism and it ends up being much worse than either a completely government run system or the somewhat private system we had at one time.

crashman likes this.
  9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I think I found a better deal than last year. I have no income so I pay myself the min poverty level to get the tax credit. Last year I paid out around 3K for premium and drugs, this year I might be able to do the same for half. My big cost is a generic drug that most insurance won't accept. I have two no-name insurance that claim it as an generic. Will see, this was the same scenario as last year but I ended up paying almost full street for the same drug. Looking at 250 to 7.5k for deductibles. Crazy choices for me.

10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Explain this

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I retired before full SS age. I can get a IRA distribution which will count as income.

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

What it comes down to in the very end...is Money and CONTROL....if you can't see that...well you're an idito.

14. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Bunch of pessimistic naysayers in here. As long as the last guy in America who still thinks he should go to work keeps grinding away, the other 325,000,000 of us can enjoy excellent health care at his expense.

badmoon692008 and sheepofblue like this.
  15. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Totally new plan which means I have to read the whole thing and make sure there’s nothing ablout “timed competitive events”. My deductible is going from 5k to 6500 but the monthly rate is going down! 610.58 to 607.20!!!

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Whoohoooo!!! a 0.5% rate decrease. Success!!!!!

SnacktimeKC likes this.
  17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The crazy part is that you have to work so hard and play the system just to get affordable health care.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fuck yeah!

With that saved $3.38 a month, hitting the extra $1500 in deductible will be a cakewalk.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Water shots on me!!!

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Big spender.