1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ride Dunlops? old ntec vs current ntec

Discussion in 'General' started by FriedKalamari, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

For what its worth, when my son raced out here, the 7455 was about 1 to 1.5 seconds faster per lap.

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Good points.
    Not too worried about overall lap times....I wanna be able to keep up and play around with the fellas though.

I don't mind paying/chewing thru extra tires. Peace of mind and confidence inspiring is important, since it's been 2 yrs away from the track for me.
    If all else fails, I'll just pick up some Mitches at the Jennings tire shed.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

8477 on the 1000 and 7455 on the 600??

4. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

FYI... They don't carry/sell the Mich's any longer. Now D'lops.

You can try reaching out to Steve Breckinridge (ruckusracing).... he may be able to get you Mich's if needed.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  5. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

any of you guy use 2662? I drop about 1.5 per lap for a good 5-6 laps on a very rough track. in a 12 lap race that puts me at the front, now try and get by me hehehe.

6. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

That's almost all I used last season.

If I can keep up with your fumes this year I'd be happy.

7. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

Ok, I just bought a bunch of Dunlops from http://stores.racetireservice.com/ ... I call and left a message about wanting some info on the tires. I am not sure who it was that called me back, but the dude has worked with all the large race teams and spoke with me about tires for a full hour. It was the best source of information and "wisdom". He did not try to push the Dunlops or the expensive tires on me. He spoke highly of the Evo and the new Red Stripe for TD use. The guy made me feel good about the tires that I always ride and even let me know that the will fit the 600 as well as the 1000. Great guy, I just suck with names.

8. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

Found it: Steve Brubaker

9. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

You mean you guys actually raced on those tires? I figured you only mounted them for the marketing photos. They must have been paying you more than I thought. :D

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yup, if you were on the phone that long talking tires, and the guy at no point tried to NOT tell you as much as possible, that would be Steve. :D

11. gapman789

I ordered 2 sets and 1 extra rear of GP-A-Pros, 7455 med....Talked to the track today, and they said they may be switching back to Michelins already.
    Dunlop aint givin' deals to nobody, not even vendors.

12. BEi Racing

BEi Racing Well-Known Member

Yep. We raced the same street tires that you could buy out of the Parts Unlimited catalog. It was a interesting couple of years, and yes the money was good! :)

cajun636 and Rising like this.
  13. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Roger that.

I may be there that weekend. If so, look forward to meeting 'ya.

14. gapman789

Right on....15 or so are coming down from Cincy....It's a yearly pilgrimage...I missed last year (dad was terminally ill) so Imlooking forward to it.
    Im glad just to be driving....by myself....in my rig....with a trailer full of bikes....with no where to be but the track. No hurry to get there and no hurry to get back.

Robby-Bobby and Metalhead like this.
  15. Dude. It doesnt matter what time you have to be there, even if you have 8 days to get there. you should ALWAYS drive like you are in a hurry. :D

Robby-Bobby and BEi Racing like this.
  16. Ninja

Ninja Active Member

hwy2 canyon racer '05 GSXR1k with several sets of '13 190 211gp UK stored in cool dry dark place. Maybe it's time to try some Pros B4 I go ito my UKs ...

[​IMG]

17. You lost me at "canyon racer".

crashman likes this.
  18. KCLARK

KCLARK Well-Known Member

Interesting comment you say/mention about ZX6R's, I have a 2013 and wanted to know how soft a compound are you talking. I've read that the Pirelli DSC's in particular the V2 is a newer "harder" compound thats better (so im lost). Even tho the Pirelli's still come in the SC0/SC1/SC2 softness (most get SC1) but all 3 compounds ive heard are softer than any of the Dunlop fronts making for easier for bump absorbtion while giving more feedback. What confused me more than anything was after reading some WERA posts, many are saying the new Michelin EVO is the easiest tire to set up suspensions (feeback, grip, lap times) all better and some said Dunlops just dont work well on the newer ZX6R's. If i sound like im trying to milk some info out of you, I am and justr wanted some speicifics from what you stated in your quote.

19. That is basically what I was getting at. The Dunlops have a harder carcass and over the years many people have suffered with chatter when running a harder carcass tire on the front of the ZX6R's. The softer carcass tires help.

Yes - Pirelli's are softer. Some people like that softer feeling and the feedback it gives, the way you can feel the tires loading up, etc. Some people don't. Personally, I do. But not everyone prefers the same feel. For some people, it is hard to differentiate that "squish" or "loading" from the tire moving around. But again, it all comes down to personal preference. That is why we say there is no best tire, only a best tire for the individual. :)

20. KCLARK

KCLARK Well-Known Member

see im thinking going "too soft" will numb your feel, so yeah its iffy. to each their own,cuz everybody's feelers are different.