1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ride Dunlops? old ntec vs current ntec

Discussion in 'General' started by FriedKalamari, Aug 4, 2015.

1. This is true.

JD40 and I talked about it in 2014 and he said there were times when in back-t0-back AMA tests (same bike, day, rider, track, conditions, etc) the US spec tire put down faster lap times than the UK tire. The difference is that the UK tire would likely produce a better overall time because the UK tire held its ultimate grip a little longer.

So if we were talking about an Endurance race, the elapsed time would be faster on the UK tire. But new for new in a single lap, the US tire had a little more drive grip and would produce better lap times at some places.

2. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Maybe he wasn't sure if you meant hot off the track or off the warmers.

jeffr1ey likes this.
  3. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

yeah, kind of what I was asking, but no biggie. i ran michelin last year and always set the temperatures after the tires were hot on the warmers. it seemed to work well. didn't really have the ability to check right off the track.

4. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Well for future reference, when someone gives you pressures for race tires that's hot off the warmers unless specified off the track.

jeffr1ey likes this.
  5. Bburns912

Bburns912 Well-Known Member

The new dunlops have a slight edge on the uk tires, I think the uk was a little more durable and not as sensitive to heat cycles. And depending on track/ conditions the new us Dunlop is about 1 second faster than the Michelin. I have a lot of data to back that statement.

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Speaking of heat. How accurate are those laser thermometer things you get at Home Depot? I have one, as well as a probe attached to my Klien multi meter that reads temp. They are both within a few degrees of each other. I basically use them to make sure the warmers are working right. I don't put much faith in the off the track temps, I slow down a lot on the cool down lap and by the time I get into the pits and on the stands....seems like it's been too long to get an accurate reading.

7. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah I was wondering that myself. My warmers get up to 155. The warmer itself.

8. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

I got a question,

I come from the land of 4 wheels touching the ground when racing but recently moved over to two weeks due to cost and a change of pace. How come when talking about tires everyone is like, "well run what ever tire you want" or "upon my testing I went with my tire of choice". Umm hello, whats your lap time data, what tires did you test, and whats the resultsof said testing?" I don't understand why the motorcycle community is so secretive? From the land I come from we post up test results with G numbers, lap times, feel impressions, and sometimes even suspension changes to fix the balance of the car. How come this community isn't like that?

I want real data between the Dunlop US Slick, Pirelli slick and the new evo cup/slick. Does anyone have atleast laptime data they're willing to share?

9. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I wish someone would do a tire shootout to compare cost vs performance vs life. That'd be handy.

drop likes this.
  10. I don't know about cars, but with bikes there are WAY too many variables that are rider dependent and cannot be quantified. THAT is why there is no "best" tire. Championships and lap records have been won on ALL of the big 4 (Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone).

Tires have different feels...and every rider likes a different feel. There have been many occasions where a rider simply could not get along well with a specific brand of tire. No matter what changes were made, he just couldn't perform his best on them...even though other people were going faster and winning Championships on the same tires. This even happens on the World stage.

Not to mention that the chassis of some bikes works better with certain tires. The ZX6R's often struggle with chatter on the front end with harder compound tires. Put on a softer compound tire and it helps drastically.

On bikes, the rider is much more of a factor. Every body movement has an effect on the bike and the way it handles. You also have to consider that different tires require different setups to extract the most performance out of them. You cant just swap tires, make no changes, then ascertain if that tire is better or not. How do you know if it is better if you didn't put in the time, testing and changes to extract the most out of it.

THAT is why there is no "best tire" and why we say it is completely subjective. There is a best tire FOR YOU, but there is not a single best tire in general.

baconologist likes this.
  11. It goes back to what I said in the last post. There are WAY too many variables. When changing tires, it can take several sessions, if not days to finally get a good setup that gets the most out of that tire. When you figure that, with the fact that some riders go better on different tires, and the fact that there are so many other variables (ambient temps, track conditions, track surface, bike make/model, suspension quality, setup time/ability, rider feedback ability, throttle control, riding style, etc etc etc) a test of that nature would be almost impossible to perform with any validity.

baconologist likes this.
  12. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

No way!
    This simply can't be true.
    I read right here on this board and in this thread that the Dunlops were junk!

13. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

ask 10 different riders about tire choice and you'll probably get 10 different opinions.. Just try them all and make a decision for yourself. this whole tire debate is like beating a dead horse.

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. Woodsrider

Woodsrider Well-Known Member

Tire lap times? Compare the Laguna SBK vs. for the last 3 years. 3 years ago Team Jordan on AMA spec bikes ran the wild card SBK there and went 1 to 1.5 faster on Pirellis vs. Dunlops. Then compare times from 2014 and 2015 and you see the same thing

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Chris Ulrich wrote a great article in RRW documenting his experience racing on the Pirellis in WSBK at Laguna. His commentary and times reflected the same things the Jordan team experienced.

16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Sooooo, if you were going to Jennings in less than two wks for 3 days, and ambient temps were around 60-65, and you had a '12 GSXR 600 and an 07 GSXR 1000...both well set up, and you haven't been to the track in two yrs, and you run a semi-fast advanced pace and been racing off and on since '94....what rear compound would you run on the GP-A-Pro's? 7455 med or 8477 Med+?

17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i managed to get good wear from the 7455 at Fontana this past weekend when the asphalt was 60-65 degF. i tried the 8477 back to back and the 7455 def had more grip even in those conditions. if u arent racing, u might be able to get 3 days out of one 7455 rear.

18. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Its a 3 day trackday wknd...errr... I mean, balls to the wall racing. There will be a green flag and checkered after all.

I'll be going back n forth between the 2 bikes. I'm getting ready to order 2 full sets and 1 extra rear...I'll probably be on the 1000 more.

Thanks man... I have the 7455 in my cart for checkout. Was just wondering about the 1000 chewing them up. Jennings is kinda rough on tires.

19. BEi Racing

BEi Racing Well-Known Member

8477. 7455 will be faster, but you will get a lot better wear out of the 8477 at Jennings.

20. BEi Racing

BEi Racing Well-Known Member

If you can get 3 days out of one 7455 on a 1000 at Jennings, you might want to think about taking up another hobby! :)

418, TLR67, Robby-Bobby and 3 others like this.