1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ride Dunlops? old ntec vs current ntec

Discussion in 'General' started by FriedKalamari, Aug 4, 2015.

1. FriedKalamari

FriedKalamari Well-Known Member

Just a little background: I recently put together a track bike after being away from riding for 4 years. I used to ride on an r6 with Dunlop slicks (KR108 ntec 195/65) and these tires were simply amazing. However, I never rode on any other race tire to compare to.

Fast forward to now: my bike (07' 600rr) came with new Pirelli Supercorsa SC2, and they didn't feel nearly as awesome as I remember the Dunlop ntecs. It could just be me, or the bike, but they simply didn't have the stickiness or feedback that I remember being blown away by the Dunlops.

My question: From my research it seems the old ntec slicks to not really exist anymore and have been replaced by what seems to be a GPA/NTEC? I was hoping some of you experts could school me on what I should get.

-Are the new versions as good or better.
    -Are the DOTs as sticky as the slicks?
    -Are the MotoAmerica versions legit? Many have takeoffs for sale.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Nothing imo has the feedback of the Pirelli's. They would send you an email a week before they went off.

That being said, I've raced with great success the CBR600 and they are a bit tricky to set up.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the new GPA Pros are pretty solid. last time i rode a UK slick, it was cold, the tire was a take-off, and the track was just repaved. so a valid comparison is impossible. but a new GPA Pro did have tons more grip, haha. IMO, US Dunlop has improved the spec tires pretty much every year since the starting supplying the national series. i feel like the latest has more drive grip on the rear and a little more feedback up front compare to the D211GPA, which was lightyears ahead of the D209. the latest compounds are great too. the 8477 rear is a great trackday tire thatll last forever. the 7455 is the go-to for club racing. and the 2662 is worth tons of time when its hot.

im on a CBR too. +1 to a bit tricky to setup. getting the bike to finish corners w/ the tall 190/60 rear is a pain if u dont have the shock length and springrate in the ballpark.

juan_restrepo likes this.
  4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I had the opposite experience, but then, I prefer the Dunlops - whether I prefer them because I understand their feedback better, or whether I understand their feedback better because I prefer it.. chicken or egg.

- New versions as good or better? Yes. A lot of legends have been written about the "UK NTEC" but I've ridden both, been at the pointy end of the field on both, and don't have any complaints.
    - DOTs as good as Slicks? Probably, but I haven't ridden the DOTs in a while so I don't wanna promise anything.
    - MotoAmerica version legit? Can't speak to that, but as far as I'm aware there's not much of a difference.

The Pirellis you tried, assuming they were modern ones (not some Dealership Streetbike Special), also offer phenomenal grip, for what it's worth. You wouldn't be losing anything if you stuck with 'em. If you like the Dunlop feel, however, the Pirellis are simply different.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Michelin

:D

:Pop:

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

anyone that tells you the new dunlops are as good as the old (but no longer available) UK ntec tires.. they are lying to you or simply don't know any better.

those tires were amazing, but were crazy expensive. i saw guys doing lap times they had no business doing on them .. and it was no wonder some guys bought up every one of them they could get when it was made known they were no longer being made.

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

:FL:

ok dude. you keep telling yourself that it's the tires that keep any of us from going faster.

8. FriedKalamari

Interestingly many people have mentioned the same thing about Pirellis.

Not to get off topic, but with regards to setup if you have any tips i'd love to hear. It's got an ohlins prlx and i'm getting a ktech piston kit up front. The front end was swimming under braking. I didn't have the best time turning the bike either.

Thanks for the insight. So it looks like you rode the DOT's primarily? I'm not partial to either, just trying to understand what all the versions are currently, and to know what I'm getting is as good or better than what I had. These guys have an updated selection it looks like http://stores.racetireservice.com

One thing about size that is crazy is the old ntec i had was 195/65, and it was amazing on my r6. Not sure if this is normal for people to use on 600's.

9. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I've done some stupid shit that asked a lot of a Pirelli SC front and gotten away with it.

I've also not gotten away with some of it, but that wasn't the tire's fault.

10. FriedKalamari

Thanks for the feedback. They Pirellis are def SC2 DOT race. They certainly are soft like everyone mentions, but I'm not seeing the feedback everyones talking about.

So since you've been on both the uk netc and current, you noticed essentially no difference?

Dude finally someone that get's it! This is the situation I'm in. Those were the first race tires I had tried. And all this time I expected that was what race tires felt like over street tires. Now I'm on to a different brand thinking Pirellis suck or something. Something tells me if I pickup a set of MotoAmerica takeoffs I'll still be disappointed.

BTW I recall they were just $380 or so? About in the same ballpark as others.

11. MELK-MAN

"dude".. I can safely say i know more about dunlop than you, if you don't know the former UK ntec was better (by a far margin) than the current dunlop. And potentially anything currently available... but, it was an expensive tire, and is no longer available.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  12. MELK-MAN

negative.. the UK ntec was over $550 a set.

13. FriedKalamari

Was there a US version ntec at the time of comparable specs on paper? I ask incase I could be confusing what I had.

14. MELK-MAN

do NOT confuse the Buffalo NY made tire with the now discontinued UK made Ntec tire.
    On paper are specs same ? Like the stated size? sure. Even the tread pattern was the same as the AMA spec tire (at that time) .. but the tires are a FAR CRY from one another. Seriously. Like 1.5 seconds a lap or more with top expert riders.

RightSideUp likes this.
  15. FriedKalamari

To clarify, the tire I had was a slick.

When I get home I'm going to dig up pictures and see if I have any of the sidewall.

16. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

The SC2 is really the hardest tire, I haven't run anything harder than an SC1 for the front.

I will add my vote for the Pirelli's having the best feedback by far on tires that I have ridden. I have only been on Bridgestone and Michelin Cup race tires though and can not comment on the Dunlop race stuff.

17. MELK-MAN

.. or the new michelin Evo front ? it's worth your time and money to try this tire.

18. 418

418 Expert #59

Knows errthang about Michelins...and now knows errthang about Dunlop's.

Are you like the world's tire expert? :D

19. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I bought a set of the UK's this year from 2013 but haven't used them yet. The rear says made in UK but the front says 212GP pro 4 made in France. Is that where the UK fronts were made or did I get a random tire? I can't wait to try them, I've never been a big Dunlop fan but I've always heard great things about these.

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

yep. i race C Superstock which requires DOTs and raced with MotoAmerica Superstock600 at Laguna last month. so the GPA Pro DOT is my go to tire. MotoAmerica Supersport does run the KR448/449 slicks so thats def an option for a 600 too.

IIRC, the 195/65 and the 190/60 are pretty close in width and diameter. Dunlop moved from 190/55 to 190/60 a few years ago and it def felt better right away even on a 600. Dunlop has most of their measurements here and its easier to see what tires are actually available. http://www.dunlopracing.com/Fitment_2015.pdf

if i were doing trackdays id go for the D211GPAs while they still last since they are cheaper, 190/60 8477 rear and 7455 front. hell, now that i look at it, the KR448/449 combo is the same lower price.

uve been away from the track for 4 years and u were riding on take-offs on a new-to-you bike. i wouldnt expect anything to feel amazing in a situation like that. comparing that to a great memory will def leave u disappointed. all the tires are good. u just gotta figure out how to use them well.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015