1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ride Dunlops? old ntec vs current ntec

Discussion in 'General' started by FriedKalamari, Aug 4, 2015.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

and why is that a problem? you seem to be one of the only ones with an issue .. And are you even comprehending the INITIAL topic of this thread? The old UK ntec tire, that was $550 .. is todays Dunlop as good? If you think it is, you are being lied to, lying to yourself, or just stating something that is not true. It's not a secret! Ask any competent rider that rode them both, any suspension tuner, etc. (as i have stated many times).
    i have not one time said the current offering from dunlop is bad. Never. in fact it's clearly darn good! but as good as the old UK ntec ?? Fuck no.
    I just prefer people to get the right information... Think about THAT for a minute..

and for what it's worth, the original poster thanked me for stating this information..

2. MELK-MAN

and i'll leave you with this..
    In 5 pages, and 81 posts (and yea, many are mine :) )is there a single post from a non sponsored dunlop rider, stating that the new tire is as good or better as the old UK $550/set tire ? That tire was pretty friggin awesome. I must have heard that 150 times from guys i race with, suspension tuners, etc. and SAW the lap time differences when i raced guys that went back and forth..

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

so this UK tire.. It's pretty good huh?

4. BEi Racing

BEi Racing Well-Known Member

But THERMOSMAN told him.....:D

5. BEi Racing

I told you I had just done a back to back comparison last week and the US tire was better in my opinion. What the fuck does it matter if I'm sponsored by Dunlop. They are both Dunlop tires and you can't get the UK anymore, even if it was better. Anyone who knows me knows I tell it like it is.

You always remember the old stuff to be better....well except for those fucking Maxxis that tried to kill me every lap. :D

6. BEi Racing

Also, the first year that the US tire was a option to go along with the UK in AMA Superbike. There were tracks where the top guys chose the US over the UK.

7. MELK-MAN

I have mad respect for you and what you have accomplished Billy, but i still don't hear you saying the old UK tire is as good or better than the current gpa pro .. and i'm going on the record saying i don't know if there's ANY current tire that is as good as it was.

And just Thermosman? negative. Multiple suspension tuners, and literally a a couple dozen riders that i talk with on regular basis say the same.

I will give one example for argument's sake. Our AM champ here in FL region from 2 seasons ago was KILLIN it, literally won an overall race passing all of us experts in a mid-wt race once, and had lap times that had us going "we are in for a tough guy next year".. he was on the UK ntec. This kid is very talented. Won almost every race he entered as an AM and that is saying something down here..

He had hopes to do a couple pro events, and i asked him "so have you been on the spec tire yet? " .. he hadn't till Roebling at the beginning of the following season. It was a horrible sight. I literally felt bad for the guy..

He has YET to come to fully come grips with even the CURRENT tire. off his former pace (by his standard and is top 5 at his best as expert right now..). this is even working with Thermosman. He got him faster, but no way-no how, will he do the same lap times as the old UK tire any time soon.

I have had more than a few conversations with him regarding this. And he's faster on the gpa pro than the 211 that he first tried.. but it will likely be awhile before he is happy with the his lap times, and he got some tires this season, so is committed to sticking it out this year, but said he will likely try something else if he can't get faster on the gpa pro. I wish him the best, as he really want's to do some more pro events.

I could give at least 6 other instances just like the above story, with other riders of varying ability that i have talked with over the past few years in an ongoing basis to help out if i can .. but i won't bore ya with that.

8. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread, was looking for information on the current status quo of tires available now. Is there a reason why dunlop stopped creating this magical uk ntec if it's so widely acclaimed? You would figure they'd listen to rider feedback and be like ok we're obviously going backwards and now producing inferior tires to what we used to have, lets rewind to that uk ntec spec.

9. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

IIRC they weren't able to keep their UK production facility open.

They put a ton of money into their US facility and the current US NTecs are better than the old UK NTecs.

10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I've run dunlops, mi-shitilins, and Pirelli on A,B,C class machines and have never went faster than with the new dunlops. Dropped 1 second and tally and barber. Ran the rears for 3 races instead of 2 and won races against fast dudes.

They are a very good tire. All the tires are probably better than 90% of racers.

The dunlops don't do anything but grip.

35-37 front
    18-21 rear

Quit being bitches

11. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Impossible! Can't be true.

Oh and, that's hilarious.

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Subscribed.....

fixerflyer likes this.
  13. Have you been paying attention to the direction this forum is going, that's about all thats left.

14. 418

418 Expert #59

Damn, I can be a real dick sometimes.

:D

15. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

I have the hot pressures on the current crop of US Ntec slicks as 23R/33F, why are your numbers such different than mine? Also, which tire should I be on this season, IE- whats the current fastest tire?

http://dunlopracing.com/tires-products/usa-n-tec-slicks/

How much faster is the US Ntec than the GPA-Pro?

16. Those hot pressures are basically a generic baseline like "you can try this" sorta thing. But I don't know of any fast dudes who are using those pressures you stated.

As far as which tires you should be on, NOBODY can tell you that. That is something you will have to decide for yourself. Just because somebody else likes a tire or goes fast on it, that doesn't mean you will. Tires are like shoes, everyone likes a different build and feel. I could tell you Nike Air Max are the best, but they might fit your feet like shit.

I don't give a burning shit what anybody says, they are ALL good and they are ALL capable of winning races. For every person that says "____ are the best" there is somebody else out there going faster and winning Championships on something different.

Personally, I spent time racing on all of them over the years (Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone and even Continental) and arrived at the one that I like the best. I found the one that suits my riding style, gives me the feedback I am looking for and prefer, lasts good and has good grip. But you might not like the same feel/feedback as I do. Like I said, they are all capable of winning. It boils down to personal preference.

17. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pressures Robby. I assume these represent the range hot off warmers?

18. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

There are many variables. Dunlops don't love the cool temps so much. Racing in Canada means that I'll often have to drop pressure in the rear to help keep the heat in the tire.

Usually I run 34F and 21R but I've gone as low as 19R when temps are in the 40s and 50s.

19. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You will NEVER hear me say the stupid fucking words "cold tire pressure"

Just take that set of words and catch it on fire. I can't understand for the life of me ANY racer referring to cold pressures.

If you're racing and don't have warmers, then stop racing.

20. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I'm with Robby... the new, NEW Dunlops are good tires. (MA spec)

I'm also with Greg... the new Dunlops aren't as good as the old UK tires. They don't last as long, but they are almost $200 a set cheaper.

The simple reality is all of them are better than you.... so run whatever you want, but know that they will all do more than you can.

And FWIW, I'm running the Pirellis because I get more life out of them than the Dunlops.