1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ain't never been to Texas...

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by sturges, Aug 9, 2002.

1. sturges

sturges Member

Any pointers on Texas would be appreciated, like

gearing, compared to other tracks
    which course do we run?
    camping, showers
    hotels
    fuel comsumption, tire wear

It's interesting that WERA doesn't have it listed in there TRACK INFO section, and the TWS web page doesn't list the WERA event!! Is this a conspiracy to force me to drive to Texas for nothing?

thanks!!

2. TZ925

TZ925 I do it for His glory!

Yo Rich,
    As far as I've been told we run the 2.9 mile "outside" loop, counter clockwise. Gearing looks to be on the tall side and the front straight on the speedway looks to be nearly 3/4 of a mile long. The rest looks like lots of 3rd and 4th gear corners I'm guessing.

I'm to understand Joe Prussiano has the track record at 1:44.8.

Hope it helps.

Monty

3. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Actually Haner has the record at 1:42.8. I was there when he did it, friggin' awesome.
    As for the track, bring your brass ones, you're gonna need 'em.:)
    Gearing's the same as Road Atlanta on my SV.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2002
  4. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

5. That is the track. Go to rpmraceclub.com and hit their message board with your questions. They race it all the time and can give you the info you'll need. Also, I beleive that they have a deal with Best Western so they may be able to help out there also.

6. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

'ARMY' INTEL....

hey sturges...check out the link to 666's website.. there's a video of most of the track with Mark Junge on the B-bike. It will give you a ride though the first 3 turns and the last 3-4 turns...at least you'll get an idea of the track.:cool: ;) assuming Sam or Jim haven't disabled the link:D

7. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

hey I didn't type 666's in my post:confused: I typed A-O-D looks like jim's got some post editing program :eek: so what else has he edited:D

8. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Its Mongo goofing off -
    A/O/D becomes 666
    T/O/M used to be ***

9. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

It's not just Mongo. The Ministry of Information also has access to the censorship features of the BBS. ;)

And for a while Tom was &&& too, although I preferred being Asterisk Boy much more than Ampersand Boy. :D

10. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Just watched the 666 Junge Video...

Boy! Texas surrrre is flat. Not a hill in sight.

Are there lots of lowsides there on account of the zero-degrees of banking in the turns?

11. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Almost all turns are positive camber.
    One area of concern is the turn 8A (or 9 depending on how you count it) where you come back through the NASCAR wall that rolls back flat and has armco on outside. This is the turn that has Air Fence set up at it.
    Total elevation change abut 20' so yes fairly flat. If you want elevation change in South Central region Hallett Motor Racing Circuit is it.

12. RichDesmond

Re: Just watched the 666 Junge Video...

Wait till you see turns 5, 6 and 7. 7 is _really_ banked, top of 5th gear on a SS SV. No brakes, just shut it down for a moment and pitch it in.:eek:

13. WERA29

Everyone I've talked to says it's a really fun track and they like it. Well, everyone except for those 666 whiners. :D

There are also a lot of good local endurance teams that should make things real interesting. I can't wait to get there and race! :cool:

14. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

The track is a blast. Yeah, the WERA regulars will get a run for the money as the CMRA endurance series is the largest in the country (averaging 50+ entries EVERY race).

TWS is technical, a gonad check, and dyno all rolled into one. Lot's of fun.

Be sure to bring lot's of water, IT GETS HOT, DAMN HOT!!!

The no BS times to run are:

LW - Fastest 1:52's, Endurance 1:54's, and novice 1:58's
    MW - Fastest 1:49's, Endurance 1:52's, and novice 1:54's
    HW - Fastest 1:48's, Endurance 1:51's, and novice 1:53's

Yeah, John Haner, Ty Howard, Troy Green, Shane Stoyko, run 1:46's and below, but 99.9% aren't John, Ty, Troy, or Shane so don't try to hurt yourself.

Good Luck, and look forward to seeing you all there.
    Marcus

15. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

Re: Just watched the 666 Junge Video...

Hey Steve, you will find the area around TWS just like Georgia with rolling hills and pine trees. You must have read Due North's guestimations of Texas :D

Marcus

16. WERA29

Thanks for the info Marcus. I read the story on RRW about the heat at Oak Hill the other weekend and riders dropping like flies. :eek:

So does that mean we can leave the grill at home and just cook on the pavement? :D

17. RichDesmond

And TWS can be worse. End of Sept in '98 it was 104 with a dew point in the 80's and not a breath of wind. Hottest I've ever been. Last year in the summer it was 105 for an RPM endurance race. Those were the official at the airport in the shade temps, god knows what it was on the track.

18. WERA29

Are the Houston Texans in town that weekend? Maybe we could borrow all of their Cool Zone machines for the hot pits on Saturday. :cool:

I'd gladly donate my services and trailer to pick them up Friday night and drop them off Sunday morning on my way out of town. :)

19. john ross

john ross Well-Known Member

tape your nuz up because t1 will make them suck up, ask
    marcus..hehehe:

:Puke: :D

20. WERA29

I've heard that Tex has big balls and is a turn 1 master, even though he sucks hind teet on the rest of the track. :D