1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'93 CBR 600 F2 Mods - Phase 1

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by JNSRacing, Jun 8, 2012.

1. JNSRacing

JNSRacing Well-Known Member

I mentioned already, that I was thrilled with the performance of the Power Cup VB front, and Power One B2 rear tires, but in addition to the fantastic grip levels at the track, these tires held up really well, and will no doubt give me service for most of another track day, if not another full day entirely.
    HPT is a very "balanced" track, evident by the nice, even wear the tires show - these pics were taken after I "smoothed out" some of the "scuffing", with a day of commuting to and from work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the pics of the front, you might notice that I trimmed the front fender back even further, to try to minimize damage to the fender, with the taller race tire in the front...to my amazement, even with so little clearance, there was no rubbing of the front fender at all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JNSRacing

I was really diggin' the more aggressive look of the bike, with the increased rear ride height, and lack of mirrors, so I had to get a couple of pics before I reinstalled the mirrors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. JNSRacing

Cheetah Race Bodywork

Here's some pics of the new/old Cheetah race bodywork - I'm very much looking forward to the challenge of reparing the "battle wounds" and getting them all "prettied up". I'll definitely be looking for advice on this process, as I haven't worked with fiberglass since I was about 10, and helped my father mold a new lid for one of the hard panniers on his old CB750. And, I'm definitely not a paint man - I have very little experience with painting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first question I have, is what kind of stripping agent would be recommended, for getting the paint off, without potentially damaging the fiberglass surface?

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Sandpaper. I'd start with 80 grit on a d/a sander.

5. JNSRacing

Well, I figured sandpaper was a given in this equation! :) Are you suggesting that I should not use any sort of chemical agent to help out with the process?
    I know these questions may seem kind of remedial, but as I mentioned, I have no real experience working with glass.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yes, do NOT use chemical strippers.

7. JNSRacing

Got it...good to know.
    As far as selecting fiberglass material and resin, for performing repairs, do you have any recommendations, or is it pretty standard stuff, and mostly the same all around?

8. JNSRacing

I got all the pin-striping removed from the race bodywork, and did a little mock-up, to get an idea of what I want to do with the paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, it's time to start sanding them down smooth, in preparation for the repairs that are necessary, and the new paint job.

9. JNSRacing

I forgot to post this up before... didn't have many good photos to choose from, but oh well.
    This is a little after corner exit, I believe at around turn 6, at the point where I'm standing it up and gettin' on the gas.

[​IMG]

10. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

looks like you're sunday cruising brother. sitting up and all. where's the game face crouch?

11. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

he was too busy thinking of what pic's, he was going to post up to crouch KMC.

12. MaRacing

MaRacing v7,v8 racer and champion

13. JNSRacing

Really sauce?? You're bashin' me in my own thread?? Damn..tough crowd!!
    Now I don't know any of you guys well enough to know when you're screwin' with each other, or actually trying to be rude, but if your intention WAS to be a prick, all I can say is...there ain't no need for that, son!! :D
    At any rate, if I were really worried about what anyone on a forum site, thought about me and/or my accomplishments, I sure wouldn't get far in life!
    And for the record, I definitely had no thoughts of pictures while I was on track - though I did lose a lot of weight in preparation for this particular day, I still look terrible, in my opininion, and am currently on track to drop another 30 pounds or so, before my next time at this track...I'm really unhappy when I'm overweight at all, and how fat I had become over the last 4 to 5 years is quite a sore spot for me, the only reason I got a pic at all is because my gal wanted me to.

So, yeah, I was disappointed with what I could pick from, LIKE I SAID ABOVE THE PIC, since they were from the first few sessions, the first of which was single file around the track, and though I wasn't going slow, in any session, I definitely didn't really start wringin' it's neck until the last three of the 7 total sessions - I didn't even bother with keeping track of lap times until then. I did feel very comfortable right off the bat, but I wasn't trying to go anywhere near a race pace early in the day, especially since this is my first time on this, or any other track, in a little over 21 years.
    It's also worthy of note, that we couldn't pass in any corners, in the novice group, and so there was a group of us that had to sit up in the corners, on a very regular basis, due to slower riders. There was one particular gal, on a little 250 Ninja, who had a control rider quite a few times motion kind of angily even, a few times, for her to tag on the back of him, and GET OFF the fast lines! She knew how slow she was going, but never turned around at all, to look for faster traffic, and adjust her lines.
    I learned my lesson...no more novice group, though I will say, as the day progressed, there were a lot less riders on track, and in the last two sessions, I didn't have to slow down for anyone even once.

14. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

so was it you're stomach in the way or the slower rider's in the way? &
    i'm not bashing you. you better get thicker skin if wanta post here.

15. JNSRacing

That damn belly of mine sure ain't helpin' anything, but it's disappearing quickly! :p

No worries...skin's fine...as I already stated (doesn't seem like you read everything), I ain't sweatin' forum comments/opinions, and as mentioned, I don't know you fools!

16. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

oh i read your post's & i'm thinking to my self that you have nothing better to do with your time but to blog.but it's cool we are who we are,and your bike is way to nice to do track days.just my 2 cents.

17. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

sauce aint no lightweight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

thick skin....like miles deep and shit....especially around this crew

when is your next outing? what weight springs do you have in forks?

19. JNSRacing

Blogs make me nauseous...I've never posted on one.
    I sit behind a computer all day at work, so I've got more time for the occasional post then some, maybe... anyway, aren't you postin' on a forum site yourself? apparently that's who we both are, now, isn't it? :D
    I don't get all the "bike's too nice" crap...It's a friggin' F2, not a rare collector piece. You guys, of all people, should think these things should be thrashed - it wasn't built for sittin' still and lookin' pretty. Just my 2 cents.

20. JNSRacing

"Thick skin" is relative...it's a friggin' forum, after all, and don't get me wrong, I dig the forum, but thick skin ain't needed here...maybe in a prison yard?
    Same track - Aug. 27th, with Pridmore.
    .95kg/mm...not working out too bad so far.