1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'93 CBR 600 F2 Mods - Phase 1

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by JNSRacing, Jun 8, 2012.

1. tailgunn

tailgunn Well-Known Member

I see you have a clamp around the oil filter for safety wiring. I use a K&N filter on mine with a nut on the end. I feel a bit safer with it...part number is KN303 I believe. Nice bike; much nicer looking than mine. I'll be at Topeka on 7/7 for track day; red, black and white #961.

2. JNSRacing

JNSRacing Well-Known Member

I'll look forward to seeing you there!
    Yes, my K&N filter is indeed the same part #, but CMRA and CCS require the clamp, even with filters that have a hole drilled for the purpose! It's kinda silly to me, but whatever, I gotta do what they ask, if I want to pass tech, right? I thought MCRA also required this...are you just there for the track day, or are you running in that round of the I-70 Challenge Series?

3. bocomomark

bocomomark New Member

I've been following this thread because I have a 93 F2, so first off thanks for the good info. Secondly, I'll be at HPT on the Saturday the 7th, and would love to check out your bikes. I'll either have my F2 (beat up dedicated track bike) or my daily driver a Honda 919 (I'm in the middle of re-jetting the F2's carbs and am not 100% sure I'll be done in time.) I'll be in novice class.

4. JNSRacing

Sounds like there's going to be a pretty decent little gaggle of F2s at HPT.
    Is anybody else staying at the Capitol Plaza hotel? They've gotta cozy little bar on the first floor - I got to hang out there and have drinks with a group of the AMA guys, Jamie Hacking, and the Celtic racing team, the last time I stayed there - it would be cool to have some drinks and chat a bit, if anybody else is staying there...we're checking in at about 2pm to 3pm on Friday the 6th.

5. Twissta

Twissta Well-Known Member

I had a f3 rim with a 180 for years and never had any problems with it what so ever. As a matter of fact it was butter for me, so why do you day it is no ggod
    :Pop:

6. JNSRacing

This isn't much of an update, but I finally got the red stripe on the rear rim, so it once again matches the front...it's nothing, really, but having it unmatched was bugging me! :eek:

[​IMG]

Also, since installing the aftermarket fairings, and finding that the left-side lowers were a little "tighter" in the shift linkage area, I reverted back to standard shift - this weekend, I finally used my Dremel to trim the fairings accordingly, so I could reinstate the GP shift setup.

[​IMG]

You might note in the picture, that I had to replace the "taller" headed flange bolts that hold the kick-stand on, with some straight hex head cap screws, and then still grind down the heads a little more, in order to have clearance for the shift rod - I wanted to just use a couple of butten head allen cap screws, but at the hardware store I went to, I couldn't find any of those in size 10 - 1.25 thread pitch. At this time, I also bypassed the kick-stand kill switch, and shortened the wiring back to the harness, so I can make a quick removal of the kick-stand, for use at the track.

My Power Cup front/Power One rear tires will not arrive until Thursday evening, because I failed to get them ordered in time, this is a bummer, as I am off tomorrow, and would have the whole day to get the bike's track setup finalized.
    Another unknown variable, is that I am not at all sure when the shock, and other assorted goodies are going to come in, so, I'm not certain when I'll be installing those items - I'm hoping they'll be there when I get home today, but if not, then my next best hope is for Thursday - any later than that, and I will not be able to use any of that stuff for my first event, as we are leaving mid-day on Friday.

7. ecd2004

ecd2004 Well-Known Member

My bike is nowhere near as clean as yours but the hanger is pretty haha. Thanks a lot

[​IMG]

8. Twissta

hey bro since your racing why don't you take the kickstand off and jump the switch, when you get back home put it back to standard. you would have too splice the wires install some connectors and that what you won't have to worry about the kick stand at all...your stuff should be there soon...:up:

9. Twissta

hey bro I have some 95 springs and emulators already in stalled in my forks allows for awesome feel on track and street. let me know? The damping sleeve has been drilled and everything.....

10. JNSRacing

That truly IS a mighty fine looking exhaust hanger you got there!! I hope you're likin' it! :D

11. JNSRacing

Yeah, for sure...that's what I was sayin' a couple of posts back - I already shortened the harness and jumped the switch, that way all I had to do when I got to the track, is remove those two 17mm bolts and the kickstand is off...along with 2 more pounds!! :up:

Yessiree bobber! Your shipment arrived on Tuesday evening, then my race tires and armored lycra pants, for wearing under my leathers, came Thursday evening - that's why I haven't updated here, because I've been working my tail off each evening after the day-job, to get ready for the weekend!! Thanks again, man, this was a life-saver!! :)

By lateThursday evening, I had the quick-throttle tube put in my starter switch/throttle housing, got the Twin-Clicker installed, and mounted the Two Bros header...the header lost me just over 3 lbs. and gained me some serious mid-range power, as well as a tiny bit more on top...the front wheel is now much harder to keep down, in more gears than before! :eek: I had to chop about a 1/2 inch from the final out of the header, and about the same from the tail end of the mid-pipe, to get it to work with my RS-3 oval can, but that was easy stuff. I ended up raising the jet needles one clip position, and finally got around to turning out the fuel screws an additional 1/2 turn, which has got my fueling just about spot-on...I might need to turn out the screws another 1/4 turn, but it's fine for now. I cleaned and oiled my K&N while the airbox was off.

I left the pre-load and ride height settings as they were on the shock, and went with Fox's recommended base settings for compression and rebound damping, which worked pretty much flawlessly - I encountered ZERO suspension issues, which allowed me to focus on re-learning a track that I haven't been on in 21 years...it went very, very well! Along with the Power Cup aggressive V profile front, in med-soft and the Power One med-hard rear, I stuck like glue in the corners all day long! It was fantastic! I absolutely love those tires!! :up:
    I went ahead and swapped that 46 tooth rear cog, for my AFAM 45 tooth, just to get a tad more acceleration - this also allowed me to shorten the wheelbase just a smidge, which, coupled with the slight increase in rear ride height, made turn-in very quick... just about perfect.
    I'll have more to add to this in a bit, but I just wanted to get another thank you to Twissta, for doing an amazingly kind thing, at the absolute perfect time!

12. Twissta

well from one racer to another and brother from another mother, this is what the racing community does for one another. Rather than let the parts sit around to get max $, which for this bike wouldn't make sense, so to bless another racer/rider with parts that served me well it was the right thing to do. How did you like the quick turn? saved you some money huh....Teh shock had been dialed in before I sent it to you....so as you can see i wasn't just talking....Glad you liked everything and :beer::clap:all went well

13. JNSRacing

Yes all did go quite well - I had a great day at the track, the first time hitting pit-out in 21 years, you'd think I would at least have some butterflies, but it felt like I was finally "coming home"!! No nervousness, just chomping at the bit to get on the track, and get up to speed. It felt perfectly natural, as if I'd been riding the track for years. For sure, I did have to learn it, of course, putting together different sections of the track with each lap - by the 5th out of 7 sessions, I was starting to go a lot faster, as I began to build my work on individual turns into complete "hot laps".
    I didn't start getting lap times until the 5th session, and my last two sessions were really coming together, where I improved by 5 to 8 seconds over my first recorded times. I wished I had stayed for another 7 sessions on Sunday, but I was shy on sleep, and needed to get back home. It woudl have been nice, since Sunday the temp only got to 86, whereas Saturday was 105 F all day long! It was scorching!
    I got taken in the straights some times, by much newer, more powerful machinery, but got held up by those same riders, turn after turn, because their line selection and cornering ability was poor, or at least not as good as what I was doing. All I know is this: I'm doing the wrong thing with my life!! I'm really looking forward to continually developing my craft, but feel like I've got some really good natural ability to work with. I'm not issuing any "challenges" to anyone, but I will say, that when I get on some newer faster equipment...lookout! I am coming to PLAY!!

14. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

bullshit. no easy way out now. issue those challenges. no more mr.nice guy :)

i'm the one responsible for rescuing you from the cbrsquidforum and turning you on to these wolves.

if you're going to race V7, you better get some thick skin (maybe you already have it) and bring a lot of beer....oh and get another bike. that one is too pretty. keep it as it is. you can get a fully set up turn key F3 for $2K-2,500. crashing does happen....and that bike is way too clean to crash.

what series did you used to race in 21 years ago? what bike(s) did you race?

15. JNSRacing

The throttle was great! It definitely gave me some efficiency, and saved my wrist from soreness. I just slackened the cables at the carbs, and put the tube you worked on in my housing - worked perfectly.

I'm very anxious to get this thing on the dyno, to play around with the fueling some more - I really do feel like I am super close to spot-on, but I'd like to see what numbers I'm generating, anyway.

Here's the header installed:

[​IMG]

The Twin-Clicker mounted:

[​IMG]

After removing the rear signals, tail light bulbs and harness, license plate and light, etc., I further trimmed the metal from the Fender Eliminator kit, to shave just a touch more weight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sitting under the shade canopy at the track:

[​IMG]

Haze was doing tech at the track, at least for the track-day riders, and offered to bump me up a group if I wanted, and I really should have taken him up on that, so I could pass in turns, and be able to really ring my bike out without being slowed down...thanks for that opportunity, Haze, I should have done it!

16. JNSRacing

CCS...Yams, FZR 750 and 1000 - this was the color shceme of the 750, I think - I thought it was a '90 or '91 I was on, but it might have been an '89, because I thought it was just blue and white...it's been too long!!

[​IMG]

I thought that bike was the most beautiful thing on the planet!! It was too expensive, and I didn't have much help, so I was saving to drop down to a 400, and give it a real go, but as I mentioned many posts ago, life happened, and I got detoured...for a VERY long time...I NOW regret getting away from it, MUCH more than I already have all these years.

17. JNSRacing

18. JNSRacing

Tailgunn, did you make it out? I never got a chance to try and find you, were you racing, or just participating in the track-day?

Which bike did you end up riding? I didn't notice any other F2's in Novice, just an F3 - I did see a mostly naked F2, but I thought it must have been running in at least intermediate, 'cuz I don't remember being on track at the same time that it was. I did talk to one rider who might have been on a gray 919 or 954 (can't remember which) about maybe seeing something coming off the back of the bike just before the chicane on the back straight...was that you?

19. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

Haze was doing tech at the track, at least for the track-day riders, and offered to bump me up a group if I wanted, and I really should have taken him up on that, so I could pass in turns, and be able to really ring my bike out without being slowed down...thanks for that opportunity, Haze, I should have done it![/QUOTE]

I didn't see you on Sunday, Yea you shoulda looked me up and got an intermediate sticker from me. I was kinda busy both days with control riding and racing both days. I won the lightweight race on Sunday. It was the best race of the weekend. Good to meeet you

20. JNSRacing

Well, there was some miscommunication, and I had been informed previously, by someone with HPT, that the Sunday track-day was only for National Guard guys and gals, so we didn't plan for the stay...I wished I would have, since 86 F would have been MUCH more enjoyable than 105 F!! :mad:

Also, I met a guy at the hotel Saturday night, named Khaled, who rode novice on a GSX-R 1000 - he said that day two was only $125. Later, I realize that day one was only $125 as well, but I paid through HPT, and was charged $185, and I registered with them and paid about 2 months in advance - this makes me a little angry, as I feel like they ripped me off, but, what can you do now, right?
    On the intermediate thing...it's been SOOOO long since I've been on track, I wanted to keep it cool, and stay at the bottom, but I really should have bumped up, I didn't realize I would be so comfortable IMMEDIATELY!! I know better for next time, my lap times would have been vastly different, if I could have at least passed on the outside of turns!

Congrats on the race win! :beer: I'm sure we'll see you again, either there or maybe at Kansas Motor Speedway, when the infield section is finished?!? :up: