1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

777 Missing

Discussion in 'General' started by mfbRSV, Mar 8, 2014.

1. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

This particular aircraft also had a fairly extensive wing repair done a while ago so this might be a another Japan Airlines, China Airlines type of accident (both of them crashed due to improper repairs, not on the wings though).

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But even if a wing falls completely off mid flight, there will still be some time for a distress call of some sort as the plane falls to the ocean. The fact there there was nothing, not a blip, makes me think explosion/terrorism.

3. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

What I was thinking when I first heard the jet was missing. RIP to all.

4. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily disagree with the terrorism angle, but if a wing tears off for whatever reason the aircraft immediately starts doing somersaults, then tears itself apart. There's no way you're going to do anything except a quick mental prayer before you're torn limb from limb.

5. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I kinda wonder about that. I'll bet there are a lot of sketchy cats flying around on stolen passports and other bogus documents. That may be a red herring.

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

How inconceivable would it be to drop below radar and turn off the beacon?

Holding out hope it was hijacked to BFE and those aboard are still alive. and explosion surely would have left some debris floating on the water.

Where else could a 777 land unreported?

7. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Not an expert but I'm fairly certain "turning off the beacon" is now something that can only happen in movies without significant disassembly of the plane.

8. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Don't know what equipment the 777 has.The plane I fly the transponder can be turned off.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. Im pretty sure they can't just decide to turn the beacon off and fall off the radar at will. There are several tracking devices on those big ass commercial planes. Everything has triple redundancy.

10. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

I can't even use my cell phone or computer without NSA know where I am.

People had their phones on you'd think?

So where is this huge airplane?

11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

In 450,000 pieces on the bottom of the Pacific. It took 5 days to find any wreckage of Air France 447. They'll find wreckage eventually. It might take years to find the black boxes.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Has anybody heard how deep the water is where the oil slicks were seen ? That's going to make alot of difference on how fast they're able to find it and bring pieces up.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

More details emerged on Sunday about the two passengers who used the fraudulently obtained passports. Both men bought one-way tickets issued last week at the same travel agency in a shopping mall in the Thailand beach resort of Pattaya, according to electronic booking records.

That's not suspicious at all...........

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Pretty shallow.

Mean depth 45M, max depth 80M. So for the metrically challenged less than 250'.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Getting on the radio would be the last priority is a wing came off.

17. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

80 meters is equal to 262.47 feet

:D

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What do you think you're answering? :Poke: :confused:

19. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Did you see the smiley?

I know it's from the other thread. rd's conversion was wrong.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Shortly after I posted the quick math I did in my head, I checked my fancy conversion app and got the figure you have above.

I was counting down the minutes before I got called out:D