1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

777 Missing

Discussion in 'General' started by mfbRSV, Mar 8, 2014.

1. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Has since been reported a fuel/oil spill has been found over a body of water. 3 Americans, including 1 infant, supposedly on board.

3. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Read about that last night. Was hoping to hear good news this morning. May they RIP.

4. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Why do you predict less than en posts? Why should there be any posts when there is no substantive news about the incident at this time?

5. I hate these threads. RIP :(

I flew with Malaysian Airlines for years. At one point i had about 200k FF miles with them. Some of the best planes, service and overall flying experience of anybody i have flown with. Right up there with Singapore Airlines at the top of my list.

6. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Because we never speculate on the bbs? :crackup:

7. I find it odd that they simply don't know where it is. I mean, the trip was mostly over land and they have a last known/reported location.

8. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

Another crew member looking for assylum somewhere?

Likely not, but since we are making speculation and assumptions and I expect it to be more than 10 posts so I'll do my share.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've flown them a couple of times and they're one of the better airlines. Damn, this scares the bejusus outta me because I'm out about to head out for the busy time of the year.

I can only hope they landed at some shitty third world airport for whatever reason.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

Current rumor is two passengers never boarded. Could have been a bomb in checked luggage (guess on my part). Regardless, I'm hoping for the best possible outcome, but it looks grim right now.

11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

An aircraft like that doesn't just disappear in this age without some catastrophe. They're all dead. RIP.

12. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Yup. I flew them from Kuala Lumpur to London a few years ago. Fantastic flying experience.

13. sdg

sdg *

The stolen passport thing does note bode well. I'll bet on terrorism.

14. KL is a nice airport too, that is where i flew into also. I used to fly from TRI to ATL to LAX to Taipai to Kuala Lumpur to Balikpapan, Indonesia (and back home the same way). Total travel time was about 5 days in the air (or in airports) every month. Did that for about 4-5 years. The attendants with airlines like KLM and even some of Delta's could learn a lot from the stewardesses on Singapore or Malaysian airlines. They make every passenger feel like a King.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  15. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

I hate to have to agree with this. An aircraft like this does not just go away without so much as a peep on the radio. Not sure if these guys are using CPDLC(text msg communication) out there but you can always key up on VHF or HF. That's some scary shit to think about, TWA 800 style. I also know of a Falcon 20 that randomly blew up over the Bahamas a few years ago. It can certainly happen.

Terrorism? Hard to say, but the 777 has an outstanding safety record to say the least. In about 20 years of operation, the only fatalities on the type were out at SFO last year. Pilot error on that one, to say the least.

16. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Though thats my first guess, whats the point of terrorism if no one knows about it? I would think someone would've claimed credit by now.

17. animal

animal Well-Known Member

Did you hear that two of the passports used were stolen! Some guy in Italy named Luigi reads the paper and see's his list as a missing passenger. Calls cops and sure enough someone used his passport that he lost in August of last year. Similar story for an Australian guy. Sounds bad but that doesn't necessarily mean terrorism or hijacking.

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:stupid:

19. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

RIP to all of them and thoughts go out to there family and friends

20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

You'd think so, except it's happened before. A few crazy Sikhs blew up that Air India 747 about 30 years ago. They didn't make statements. In fact, this reminds me a lot of that incident.

We all know airport security is a joke, I'm sure a very small group could blow up an airliner if they were motivated.

Wreckage and debris will be found soon. I'm sure the blackboxes will be recovered eventually. We may not have any idea what happened for several years, if ever. No one believes the story about TWA 800 even now.