1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SNAP replacement - "Blue Apron" style food boxes

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by galloway840, Feb 13, 2018.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

My apologies if I actually did it "every time".....I'm a ball buster by nature and figure if I give you some shit, I'm indirectly busting D'ern balls somehow. LOL....:P

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

it’s interesting how many here think poverty deserves shaming.

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

It’s interesting that you view what’s been discussed as shaming poverty.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I have noticed it more frequently, that's for sure.
    I have gotten more vocal though, so...If I just shut my yap, you wont need to remind me. :D
    I will start accepting $20 cash to stomp on them for other people.

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Will there be video evidence? Ya know ... pics or it didn’t happen. :crackup:

6. CausticYarn

Sure. If you want to see some 50 year old balls getting smashed :D

7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Clearly, I didn’t think that one all the way through. :Puke:

8. CausticYarn

Most people don't.

9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If you are not personally ashamed of being unable to provide for your own family, I doubt that any external disapprobation is of much concern.

badmoon692008 and kangasj like this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The root of the problem is primarily having motivation to make a change. I'm not sure how you fix that.

11. nigel smith

We need to incrementally increase the difficulty of the path of least resistance. Additionally, the PC feel good bullshit needs to go away. Dignity and the dole do not belong together. If your box of free food hurts your feelings, don't eat it. There's your freedom.

badmoon692008, TurboBlew and kangasj like this.
  12. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I just cant see it that way. I could if all the poors were a monolith but they are not.

Its hard to blame the homeless lady I know who was beaten to stupidity by her father then her husband. She cant compete, nobody will hire her because she is brain damaged. I dont think she deserves shame.
    Its hard to blame the vet I know who carried a rifle but now is virtually ignored by the VA system while being feared by a job market that wants nothing to do with him or his PTSD. I dont think he deserves shame.
    Its hard to blame some of the children I see in my business who's only complicity in their poverty is what vagina they emerged from. I dont think they deserve shame.

I see a lot of poor people who dont fit the mold of being the root cause of their plight. I am not comfortable heaping shame on these people.

Mike Dillon likes this.
  13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Solution??

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The solution would be training employees of the agencies who distribute this aid to use their brains and make judgments based on these realities instead of defaulting to the lowest common denominator and taking all thought out of the decision process. Basically, the government workers should actually give a shit about their jobs.

Fonda Dix and Funkm05 like this.
  15. nigel smith

Shame is an internal thing. If you are incapable of feeling it when warranted, no amount of "temporary" help will change your circumstances. Whether you choose to shame someone is on you, not them.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm good with that. More reason to get off it.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And sadly they don't produce good yummy steaks :(

18. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

What ever happened to "beggars can't be choosers"? Even as kids we knew this. "Can I have one of your jelly beans?", "but I don't like this flavor!", "Beggars can't be choosers".

When my daughter came home from schools one day when she was 3 (Went 1/2 day to a church school 2days/wk). I asked what she learned today. Her response "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit". My reply, "I like your teacher".

That used to apply pretty broadly. It is now socially acceptable to be on assistance indefinitely. We keep making the programs easier and less obvious so as not to hurt any feelings. For kids at school, I understand this. For adults I don't, suck it up.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

This didn't start during the Depression, it is a result of LBJ's Great Society.
    I know what will work because I saw it before it was broken and witnessed what built the problems we have today.
    You keep feeding stray cats, you just get exponentially more stray cats.
    On a regular basis, you read about the ASPCA removing scores of sick and dying animals from inhumane conditions in some old lady's home, and it's always because she thinks she helping them and doing something good.
    The road to hell truly is paved with good intentions.

badmoon692008, kangasj and Fencer like this.
  20. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

IYC, there were soup or breadlines, civilian conservative corps, shelters, clothing for the kids, shanty town, and food riots. Welfare basically started as private and public endeavor (New Deal) during the depression.