1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Careers to get into?

Discussion in 'General' started by JCP636, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

We already have our showbiz Carlton on here constantly asking us "What's My Move?" We don't need another one. :Poke:

:crackup:

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned engineering. I respect that suggestion, I R one, after all. Truth is good engineers are underpaid by a long shot. As a trade we never formed a trade organization to protect our skills the way unions, doctors or even lawyers did. The result is we couldn't demand salaries but had to settle for what was offered. As a professional engineer who ended up supervising a rather large maintenance organization, everyone (at least those willing to work OT) made more than me...even my clerk. I put in more time with all premium time being for free versus time and a half or double time. SO, if considering engineering I would recommend trying to avoid a big corporation setting.
    As an after thought....engineering does make a good foundation for other occupations. Good engineering skills are founded on good problem solving skills. The best doctor I ever had was an engineer first...could be we could easily talk sh*t in engineering terms. When I wrecked my knee skiing he described rotational torque limits for the human knee in comparison to DiN settings for my bindings. :)

kangasj, rcmike917 and Phl218 like this.
  3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Buy a Pepperidge farms cookie, or Snyder /Lance chip route.
    I know several people with those. Make 70-120 yr, work for yourself and only work 25-30 hrs a week.

Downside is getting up balls ass early a few days a week.

Steeltoe likes this.
  4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

one of my buddies at work says he knows a condiment/ice cream/vending machine dude in jersey that supplies like a million food truck guys and vending machines and makes a shitload of money. i guess the mark-up is insane and as long as you can secure enough routes/people its ridiculous good money. i woulda never thought.

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Race motorcycles.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

That sounds like in intriguing option...

7. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Teaching.

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

6 figure debt? Get used to being a lawyer and pay that shit off or it will haunt you for a long time. Too late to change now.

9. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

While I'm sure there are numerous options that I'm not aware of. This is sorta my line of thinking .

I would say definitely don't go the "trades" route. I've been a machinist for going on 27 years or so and while for my lifestyle I do pretty good the only six figure debt I have is my house.

Couldn't imagine trying to pay off six figure student loan debt plus all my other bills on my salary .

10. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, went back to school at 40 years old to get my ME BS , two semesters left until I'm done and have taken and passed FE exam as part of my course work. As I research jobs I find exactly what you describe. Honestly not sure where I am going with this ME degree but at least it opens new opportunities vs not have any degree and just 20+ years of management/manufacturing experience.

Mike

beac83 likes this.
  11. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Are you very mechanically inclined? Do you like to travel?

12. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Truck driving? Come on in..the waters fine!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaxs.png

or male nursing is also in high demand and pays well,especially travel nursing.

dtalbott likes this.
  13. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

JAG baby! According to TV you can be a lawyer/fighter pilot.

5axis likes this.
  14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lol beat me to it. Of course the see the world part is crap but you're already an attorney, why not consider it?

15. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I make a lot more money now than I did as an attorney. Also, I have some real estate investments that take care of my student loan payments, so that’s not really too much of a concern.

16. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Enough to get by, but not very. I can change wheels and parts on my race bike and fix random stuff around the house here and there. That’s about it. And yes.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  17. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Also, I’m not going into the military. It’s a great option for some, but I like my freedom too much. I also have long hair and don’t like taking orders, ha.

Phl218 and ToofPic like this.
  18. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Ah ok. Was thinking field service type stuff. We make decent money but you need to be pretty mechanically inclined.

Also, being retired military...you'd be surprised how much freedom you have. I've seen far less freedoms out here in the civilian world simply due to the stability the military gives you. I've seen professionals join for the fact it's a much simpler life (used to be a recruiter). Of course, I am strictly speaking about Air Force since that was my choice of service.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  19. That’s very lucrative if you start with an extremely lucrative bank account :)

flygirl likes this.
  20. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You take orders every day and hair has this ability to be cut. Awfully asinine knee jerk response to a possible option that could be the fastest way out of debt for only 3-4 years of commitment, or "job security" as some would call it.

StaccatoFan likes this.