1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No-mar tire changer

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

Last one I changed for metal head was on the floor too, 150 rear for the cbr. That was a PIA. Looking forward to ease of use. And I got it for less than half as new with errthang included.

You guys do car/ truck tires too on them?

Balancing bike wheels I can do, what's the difference with wider car wheels? Can you do that at home with a static stand?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Shaneekwa would never give them back. :D

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yes... have done as large as a 31" truck tires. I did not balance those. On my 15" trailer tires I used the cones/static method. Worked well enough. Discount tire does "free" rotations/balance, near me, so I put on my helpless look if I dont feel like dealing with it. :up:

4. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if a 9 gallon airtank at 100psi wouldbe adequate for seating the bead on a 6.25" wide ZX11 wheel with a 190/55 on it?

5. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

If done properly. Yes. I normally use a 5 gal tank with 60-80 psi in it

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Lookup the brake cleaner / match trick on YouTube ;)

7. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake Well-Known Member

Thats pretty awesome!

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

So you just use your 'normal' look?

:Poke:

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

One of the things that I always do when setting the bead on a tire is to have the valve core removed from the valve stem. I also have two different air chucks. The one that I use for setting the beads is an air chuck with the internals removed. The air chucks have the quick connect fittings on them and when I'm ready to set the beads, I put the air chuck with no internals on the air hose and quickly slip it over the valve stem and hold it there until the beads seat. Of course, as soon as you pull it off the valve stem, you disconnect it from the air hose. Of course all the air that you just put in the tire to set the bead escapes too. I then put the valve core back in and inflate the tire in the normal manner.

The whole reason for doing it this way is that you get a lot more air flow to quickly set the beads. YMMV

10. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

I've got the Cycle Hill sold by No Mar and I've changed a hundred tires with it and it's still going strong. I have the hitch mount for my truck, it's awesome.

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've got a quick coupler I can use with the guts out but hardly ever have to do that on bike tires. Have to most of the time on atv tires though, they can be a bitch to start to seat.

12. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

A little lube on the inside of the tire helps when seating the bead.

13. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

I have the classic with the hitch mount, I use it primarily for flipping tires, I do believe I'm going to sell it and buy a pneumatic one though.

consumer38 likes this.
  14. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Mine already have a bit of lube on the tire bead from when I mounted the tire to the wheel. The "gutless" air chuck/core removed method works about 99% of the time. The exception is usually a very stiff sidewall tire. In those instances, I usually take the tire/wheel back out of the clamps on the NoMar and put the tire on the floor and push down on the tire. Rotate/push until you have made one revolution and hit it again with the burst of air.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Bumping an old thread, and quoting this post because I did this once (after a beverage or two) where I forgot to put the valve stem back in and those beads set faster than you'd believe :crackup:

If you're used to using spoons, how much easier is a no-mar? I'm a lazy SOB so would gladly spend the money upfront for something that will make changing tires as easy as possible, but if it's not significantly easier and less work than using spoons I'll just wrestle with them for the <10 tires I change per year.

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Worth every penny if you have the room for it....no comparison to using spoons.

I got lucky and found mine used for a great price, and he had all the accessories to go with it ie. wire wheel clamps, several tire clamps, their lube, etc.... Not sure I would have paid full price for one tho since I'm not actively doing trackdays any longer.

I've actually considered offering to do this for some pocket money, what stops me from doing it is LIABILITY.....any concerns about some knucklehead getting into a wreck and trying to blame you???

SuddenBraking and TurboBlew like this.
  17. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I bought a used No-Mar about 8 years ago. Easily made my money back on tire changes. Considering selling mine now as I don't get to the track enough to justify it any more.

18. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I'd probably say that the difference is comparable to digging a 50' long ditch with a shovel vs. renting a ditch witch. Seriously, once the tire/wheel is off the bike, it takes like 3-4 minutes to remove the old tire and have the new one on, bead set, and ready to balance......and that's me drinking some coffee and hitting on my vape!

SuddenBraking and consumer38 like this.
  19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What's a used one go for?

20. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I honestly could not tell you what I paid for it. I just remember buying it off of Jennings Gp classifieds and Andy White (RIP) brought it to a CCS round at PBIR for me.

t11ravis likes this.