1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to Hell....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Britt, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I agree with no one being able to prove it - however why do I need to even accept the possibility that there is a god? I didn't make that shit up, other people did.

I go back to my example of Hitchhikers Guide but really any work of fiction works the same - do you have to actively not believe fictional stories you've read or are they just that - fiction? I don't have to put one iota of effort into not believing there is a god. I don't have to put any effort in believing that Black Beauty wasn't real. If you're going to go way out there and say that possibly somewhere in some other universe that all works of fiction might be true, well, you've got me there. In that case god might exist.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Fiction could be real?

Cool...

Dibs on Ygritte!

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Hope this wasn't shared already. Thought it was interesting and mildly amused by the few who looked stumped.

Pride & Joy likes this.
  4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

See The Number of The Beast by Robert Heinlein.

fastfreddie likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The video is idiotic but funny :D

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Can the defiant forum atheist elaborate a little? :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The entire premise that billions of years of evolution is the same as printing a book for a start.

We know how things evolve. We know how books are printed. Neither is a proof of any higher being(s).

8. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Intelligent design != whatever religion you follow. I also think people who are truly atheist are as misguided as the religious. Both have called the game without realizing we haven't even begun to scratch the surface.What if the big bang was simply the beginning of this simulated existence and every bit of evolution and "thing" that came to be was only theorized by the designer? That'd be way more interesting to me as a creator than designing a massive universe, plopping a bunch of "mini me's" (god's image) on one friggin rock and making them worship me all for a chance to not become a part of satan's army. I mean, I guess if god truly needs the souls for his eternal war, shouldn't he diversify and maybe mine a few planets with people a little less inclined toward violence and a better shot of ending up on his team?

Rico888 likes this.
  9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I think you took the book analogy too literally.....

I think what that old man said in the very beginning is very consistent with what many atheists think/say about higher beings.

The irony was hearing what he said later, actually, I think it was a RIOT!
    And he, too, couldn't put together the parallel of what he was saying when he made his explosion remark and the ridiculousness of it.....lol

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lots of what ifs. But the what if that there is a god of any sort makes no sense. There is absolutely no indication there is a god. None. It is a purely human thing. You don't see animals or plants worshipping a god do you? Then again maybe that's why catholics say animals have no soul.

Anyway, there are lots of unknowns out there for all of us. I just don't have a need to attribute them all to some other being, I'm good with just not knowing everything.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why not take it literally? He chose the analogy, not me. The old dude was pretty right on, lots of people believe in religions purely because they can't accept it being over and done when you die.

The idiot kids are really funny. Especially all of the sudden becoming an atheist or believing in atheism. Not really how that works :crackup:

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So you like the mice and dolphin theory

13. Chino52405

Would it be taking it too literally to ask where the analogy stops? We can see that the book came from something because we created it, materials, design and everything. We can't say what created us so we ascribe it to an intelligent designer, much like the human designer who made the book. But just like the complex human designer couldn't have been created from nothing, a complex god must also then have a creator, no? At some point on the ladder, something came from nothing.IMO, it's way too human centric and dismissive of the massive universe surrounding us to claim knowledge that we're only one rung from the top.
    Not familiar with the mice and dolphin theory. Unless you mean the Simpsons episode where the dolphins are actually plotting a return to land to destroy humans.

14. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

My personal view has always been that God created everything. I believe the complexity of ANY life, even that of a single cell amoeba, is too complex to have "evolved". That being said, I don't care how it happened. If a seed was planted a trillion years ago that grew into what we are today, or if it happened over the course of a true 6 days, it doesn't change what I believe. The Bible makes many references to our view of time being very different to God's. I'm not going to bash someone because they believe in evolution. I've extensively studied creationism and evolutionism and find there are just as many holes in both. Both require faith. Stephen Hawking is trying to make the case for what happened before the big bang. I don't really care. I simply think that life is too amazing and complex to say it just "happened". Just as I can't wrap my head around time being non-linear and eternity, with no beginning or end, I can't wrap my head around life having no intelligence behind it. String theory, multi-verse, non-linear time, quarks, quantum theory, I've read up on so much of it. It still doesn't change the base premise that God created it all and we are simply too infantile to even grasp a minutia of his plan.

Chino said it too IMO without saying it in so many words. There is no possible way to say, conclusively, that either side is right. Keep an open mind, always. I prefer to keep an open mind. I could be completely wrong, or completely right. Either side takes faith.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

While I totally get why you feel as you do - atheism, actual real atheism, takes no faith. I have put absolutely no effort into accepting there are things I don't know and not believing in some higher power. I don't need any faith to not believe, it's not how it works. You absolutely need faith to believe. I just accept the world is at it is.

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

No. You accept the world as you perceive it, which is the best that any of us can hope to do.

17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Atheism (and agnosticism) are based on doubt rather than faith, no?...

18. Chino52405

I'd say that's true right up until the point an atheist makes the case to someone else that there isn't or cannot be something greater than us. To personally be an atheist is different than promoting atheism since there is no way to deal in absolutes on this topic. But with over 2,000 gods and origin stories in human history, I'm going to go out on a limb and say none of these are correct especially since they borrow so heavily from each other to almost be iterative.

19. Chino52405

I always identify as agnostic which really does mean "I don't claim to have any answers". Atheism to me says "No" to the possibility of an inconceivable entity of any sort being involved in our existence. But rather than say agnostics "doubt" since that is the perception of the religious, I'd say that agnostics acknowledge the unknowable. Anytime something "just takes faith", agnostics are out.

HPPT and Banditracer like this.
  20. Chino52405

Do you believe intelligent design and evolution are mutually exclusive? A lot of the science you cited deals with the human concept of time and has been seeking to understand consciousness in many ways since Einstein's observation of "spooky action at a distance".