Irrational Car Purchases

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 17, 2016.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

One of the few cars I wish I bought when I had the chance.

2. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

I have no intentions of doing any tuning, at least in the short term. Anything I ever do will have to keep an eye on fuel economy as well. Any idea if an intake and downpipe would boost that? It certainly does in a diesel application, but I haven't played with gas motors as much.

Did you put a tune on yours with the exhaust changes, or does the ECM calculate for that on the fly?

3. It was truly fabulous. I wish I'd had more time with it. The best gearbox I've ever encountered, and it taught me how to steer with the rear in the twisties.

BigBird likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

The ECM adjusts for it, but you do not get the full potential of the DP. Intake doesn't do anything on the car, just a drop in filter is more than enough. Fuel savings with the DP...probably not, but that could just be me. Supposedly people get 30+ mpg, I get about 12-15...but I probably get more than 2x the enjoyment of those fuel sippers :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sounds about right. :D My A3 ridiculously low miles on it.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Pretty awesome. Wasn't so irrational after all. I can't think of a single play car that I ever pulled that off with. I bought a 930 Turbo in 87-88 time frame and finally sold it around 99-00. If I still had it now, I would have made a bunch of money. LOL

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

Did you pick up a new one?

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A few years ago. I bought a Cabrio for the wife and kid to enjoy. It's alright enough.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

I thought that was a A4 ;)

But yeah..S3's are really nice I hear :)

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Whatever I pick up as "my" car the kid will get in 4 or 5 years. So, M2, Golf R, S3 or even an S4 is pretty much out.

I was going to get her a Polo diesel with a manual but the EPA killed that dream with their crap. :D

11. Boman Forklift

Well.....that and the fact, I've never seen a Polo for sale at any local US VAG dealership. Were you going to go down to Mexico or Guadalajara to buy it?

BigBird likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I kept reading the "we'll get it soon" on the web. I didn't think we would but blaming the EPA for not getting it is easier and more fun than blaming VW. :D

But we're getting Skoda! Yeah, in just a few years, I read it on the nets . . . :crackup:

13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You'd look good in a Citröen. :D

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, don't tell that rotten french f@ck Papa but I secretly like a lot of the french cars. :D

pickled egg likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

I remember when I was younger asking my cousins, what the heck a Skoda was? Had to be late 80's, because the last time I was visited was 91-92 time frame? Even then, they told me it was a VW. I don't remember if it was like GM used to be, same car, different badge?

16. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

The most pathetic vehicle I ever drove was a Le Car. Girlfriend's parents.

At that time I was driving a 12 yr old VW Rabbit, so that's telling you something. :confused:

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They're cheap VWs. Pretty much the same underpinnings and guts, different bodies slapped on them. They're pretty alright, nothing to go all goofy over.

18. Boman Forklift

I don't know if the new ones still are now, but I remember thinking those old Citroens were butt ugly.

Also, remember getting my first ride in an Alfa Romeo Spider, in red, from a friend of my Mom's. He took me out in that car a few times, I always liked it. Curvy roads and the autobahn. I didn't know about Nurburgring, or I may have asked him to take me there.

I don't totally remember, but I'm guessing that Alfa was from the 70's, it didn't have the uglier rubber bumpers/rear spoiler we had.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My brother had a FIAT 124 sport spider. When new it was a hoot. I was just 20 at the time and we did some serious back road shennigans in that pile....probably rusted into junk 3 years later...never found out what happened to it. Now I see Fiat is bringing it (or a version) back to the States, wonder what the reliability on it is? Fiat's weren't known for long lives.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The new 124 is a miata with a Fiat motor and different body panels. Not bad looking at all. Built by Mazda in Japan.