2017 WorldSBK Silly Season - You've Got To Be Kidding Me...

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Jul 26, 2016.

1. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Meh. I'll wait until another artical appears. Jenson Beeler is a fucking dumbass.

bleacht likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That might just be a test mule. New engine or even old engine with the new electronics in an old chassis.

Got to test your shit in steps before you roll it all out in one giant, new burrito of hondaness.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Lol asphalt and rubber is notorious for regurgitating shit he read elsewhere, twisting the words into his "sources" then trackday guys and coffe shop dorks think he knows his shit.

bleacht likes this.
  4. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Why yes. The world is silly with those street legal V5 MotoGP Hondas from the 990 era like "we" were promised these past, what, 8 years? So of course Honda will just spring a new age RC45 on us for 2017, with no spy photos, no patent leaks, and an extremely depressed superbike market around the world. They're sure to dominate WSB. /sarcasm

5. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

My guess is a slightly updated version that's still underpowered. If it weren't for wsbk rules regarding ride-by-wire I doubt that they would even bother.

6. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Honda is gonna kill off their sport bikes like they did their two strokes. 2018 will be Groms, CBR 300/500, a bunch of bikes based on a scooter and generators.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So what you're trying to say is that Honda is planning to do to sport bikes what Mongo has been doing to American road racing?

stk0308 and bleacht like this.
  8. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Imo Honda are screwing up. Look at what Yamaha has done. Successfully used MotoGP technology to update their line-up. The new R1's were/are selling as fast as dealers are getting them. The club racing scene is dominated by Yamahas. They have new and exciting bikes (time for a new R6 soon I hope). It seems like they're just too big now and have lost touch with the smaller segments. Cars and scooters I guess.

9. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Except that Honda will be more succesfull. In Star Wars terms, Honda is the Empire, Mongo is Jabba the Hut.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Honda's weird about that crap. They've always made shitty street bikes but used their influence to bend the rules enough to allow them to build winning race bikes. I'm not sure how they're going to do it, but they surely have something up their sleeve.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Shitty streetbikes? Since when? Honda has always made sportbikes that were more street than race and have always been popular as streetbikes.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I guess the most accurate description would be "shitty race replica production bikes that need a lot of modification to be proper racebikes".

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I'll agree they're not usually the best right off the showroom race bikes.

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Honda has a lot more than scooters and Groms. I believe the VFR and NCX models are selling pretty well.

15. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

As I understand it the 1200 VFR is a sales pooch. To heavy, to complicated, and not quite powerful enough to make up for it. The 800 doesn't have much for profit in it, and is out dated, and under powered.

They push the hell out of the NC lines, but I'm not sure it's really taking off like they want. Again, under powered, and over complicated(though the new clutchless trans is a lot better).

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They do - but the money worldwide is in scooters/groms/small bikes.

17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

when was the last time Honda or HRC actually exerted some influence in WSBK? when did they last have a real factory team over there? i dont know WSBK history that well, but id guess 2002. Honda aint Ducati after all.

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

How involved were they when Toseland won the 2007 WSBK title on the TenKate Honda?

19. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Absolutely disagree. Ducati has been way more influential in having rules changed to keep v-twins competitive in WSBK. If Honda had the powers you claim, the v5 engine would still be allowed today. I think it's silly that it's not since it's prototype racing. But I understand the desire to keep costs down by capping cylinder numbers.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Wasn't WSBK run by a different company back then? Now it's owned by Dorna, and Honda does have a history of throwing their weight around in GP rules meetings (Marquez and the Rookie Rule?).