1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 WorldSBK Silly Season - You've Got To Be Kidding Me...

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Jul 26, 2016.

1. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

Laverty to factory Aprilia headed by SMR

2. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

It's funny that the "Laverty to Milwaukee Aprilia" release came out before SMR/Milwaukee sent out the press release about switching manufacturers.

Someone needs to slap a couple of their PR guys for goofing that one up :D

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Part of me is glad that he'll be on equipment that can win again, part is sad as he was just starting to find his stride in MotoGP and putting in a string of some impressive finishes on a damn 2 year old bike.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm not. I hope he is getting paid and paid BIG. Big checks, hot chicks and factory bikes, what's not to dig?

throwdown and cpettit like this.
  5. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Some never truly get to showcase their talent in MotoGP unless you're on a good bike. I felt it was odd he lost his ride at Aprilia the season he won 9 races. I'll be rooting for him back in WSBK.

BHP41 likes this.
  6. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

7. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Who knows what that thing is. Could be a testing mule, could be a down-market streetbike, could be a fake, who knows. I'll go on record to say that there is no way Honda doesn't come to WSBK without a totally badass bike for 2017. It may not even be an I-4. It's certainly not outside of Honda's modus operandi to build a pedestrian streetbike for the dealers, and a near-unobtainium homogolation special for the racers. They've not had a real RC bike in a while....

The Great One likes this.
  9. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

There are a lot of assumptions throughout that article, so I'll reserve judgement until we get some actual facts. Also, there was an interview with Michael vdMark out there and he talked about the internals being the main limiting factor when it comes to the bikes performance in WSBK. Some components that must remain stock, and the stock equipment just isn't up to par with the competition.

If you look at a 2015 ZX-10R and a 2016 ZX-10R, they LOOK like they are the same motorcycle, but we all know that they changed just about everything on the bike. That possibility exists here as well.

10. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Ummm, the frame doesn't look the same. Or the subframe. But then again, A&R is a lot like Soup, imo.

11. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

The 15 Kawi won the WSBK manufacturer title and Rea won the rider title. Then they did the big revamp. I'm sorry but I couldn't possibly draw a comparison to Honda here.

12. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Honda didn't do anything in 2016 and it looks like 17 might be the same. See the similarities?

masshole likes this.
  13. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Honda's current ride by wire throttle system would be illegal under next year's rules since it doesn't come stock on the current bike...

Bruce likes this.
  14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Their lines don't really match up to anything. The bikes are at different angles. Frame is clearly different, the case cover is different. The exhaust is different. Wheels are different. Fork is different.
    Nothing about whatever that bike is really matches the current CBR.

BHP41 likes this.
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

True.....maybe by killing off the 600RR it will free up enough resources to build a new RC.

16. precipitous

precipitous Well-Known Member

Clearly this has nothing to do with Melandri and everything to do with his wife.

If we get to see more of her during race weekends, I'm all for it.

[​IMG]

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Mighty mouse went and knocked her up....I think she's looking a little more homely these days.

18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

WSBK teams don't give a shit about forks, swingarm, subframe, etc. All they need is a good chassis and fly-by-wire now. I suspect that's all TenKate will get from Honda.

They do care about factory support too, esp for software. I doubt TenKate will get much of that ha.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well if that's the case then...

1) doesn't the current sen Fireblade have a pretty decent chassis to start with? and the current rules before the change allows Honda to use a fly by wire.

2) what was it about the ZX-10 that instantly had Rea annihilating everyone the minute he hopped off the Honda and onto it? chassis?

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

1. I forgot motor. But either way, a factory developed fly-by-wire system is light years ahead of what TenKate has been able to cobble together. See below. Even if they could do it well enough, they won't develop it as fast or as well. Rules change too.

2. I already said, factory support.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016