2012 Rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Feb 23, 2012.

1. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Gonna have to call your bluf!

I'm guessing either you have a TX500 or you are assuming you have 8 valves in that motor!

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Sean....what are the XS classes right now, v-3 and bump to v-4?

Where are the KWC?....lurking in the shadows with their fingers crossed?:D

I'm betting a stocker XS goes down hard in V-3.....maybe consider some good limits and let a stocker run V-2 ??? That puts it on the track with 500GP anyway.

Where is Oldalowski?....how about Chapman or Padgett?

3. CharlieY

No assuming....100% positive...8 valve TX750 and 8 valve XS500.

4. videojack

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No clue what the current classes are. Just relaying a question as it was asked, didn't do a lot of research yet, figured I'd use you guys first :D

6. videojack

And, thanks for the consult opportunity.

Between more horsepower, a fifth gear, overhead cam, and a significant increase in reliability, having an XS650 in the GP500 heard will be a major game changer.

The addition of the Honda 350 twins was a major game changer too. It saved the GP350 class. But, adding the Hona 350 twins already saved the GP500 class with half the displacement!

7. CharlieY

Looks like only the 500's (TX and XS) were 8 valve.:(

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So overall it would be a bad move. Kind of thought that might be the case.

9. videojack

However... The XS650, like the CB/CL/SL350s are the most popular model in their class. They were produced from 1968 to 1985. They are among the most supported (aftermarket and OEM) vintage motorcycles out there. As time goes on, that will make a big difference in what is reasonably available to racers.

I believe that the XS650 should have a class where it is successful. I believe the same for the RD350.

10. videojack

Ouch!

That had to hurt!

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Isn't the XSX650 good in V4?

12. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Yes,it has won many v-3 and v-4 titles............

13. videojack

Abbadee, Abbadee, Abbadee, Abbadee, Abbadee, And that's all ... folks!

14. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I'll be 60 this year and unfortunately have no bike for the SR classes.I think the classes I run primarily are more competitive and fun at my age anyway: V5, Clubman, V5lw, and DSB. Even got some regional championships. Just like a fine wine...:D

So point is if you're getting too old to compete w/ the young whipper-snappers in 40plus, come on down to the modern small bikes and vintage. Even the 2-fiddy class is way cool for the mature crowd.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Just to add a little more confusion, the XS-1, which Sean first asked about, is the first version of the Yamaha OHC 650. It had a longer stroke than the later XS-2, which was renamed the XS650, which was renamed the TX650 which was re-renamed the XS650, again. The XS-1 also had drum brakes and was only produced for a year or 2. If it was allowed in 500GP, it would not be a bad fit, but as soon as people started sticking XS650 motors in and all that then it would be opening up a whole can of worms. I don't think it is worth the bother since it has other classes it can run in.

Ken

16. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Well-Known Member

I'm restricted to 30mm carbs, 4 spd. trans. and 34 mm forks. My Bonneville is a 1972. the 5 speeds were already out by this time, but mine was shipped to dealers like it was a left over 71. 500 gp calls for pre 72 models, production based. Over bore size has always been a question for me ( i never asked cause it's not an issue yet) the rules don't say ss spec. Just production based. I aslo wonder about boring carbs, as long as they start as 30mm production based.

17. Black46

Black46 Well-Known Member

Speaking of 250GP, are Yamaha CS3 and CS5 eligible since they are essentially the same are the YCS-1 the meets the pre-'68 requirement? It seems like that question has been asked before... :Poke:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What is "essentially the same"? Are they the same or are they faster?

19. was92v

was92v Active Member

My Opinion...
    When I raced Triumphs in V3 & V4 the XS650 (punched out to 750) was also in the class. An XS, with enough money spent on it, might ultimately make more power, but in general they are an equal match.

The 70'-72' R5 350 street bike is a lesser equal to the RD350. There is no reason they should not run in the same class, from an engine performance perspective. Compared to an RD350, they had a similar chassis, drum brakes, 5-speed instead of 6, and no reed valves. I've owned both (many) and the RD is a superior bike to the R5.

20. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

No they're not, the YCS-1 was initially a 180 from 1968, the CS3 and CS5 were 200's from the early 70's which makes them not legal.

And they are faster that's why AHRMA won't allow them in the their 200GP class, however they do run in 250GP.