1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I need some input on a couple things so here goes -

First one - 70/71 Yamaha XS1 in 500GP. 650cc twin like the Triumph that is allowed. Seems okay, should it be limited in some manner?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Next one - Yamaha R5 in 500GP. Any reason the 350 isn't allowed? Too fast?

3. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Your starting to index bikes into a class that's pre 68. There already a class for those bikes............

4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I believe the XS is an overhead cam....triumph is a pushrod.

A triumph guy may know more, but I believe the XS to be a superior motor to the triumph.

Maybe the XS years you listed not as much as the later years....I dont know.

Is the yam650 a 360 crank or 180 crank?....

I dont know anything about the 2 stroke R5.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  5. Duck150

Here we go again....hi, I have a bike;can I run it in a class that it does not belong in just for fun.............

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Please actually say everything you mean instead a partial sentence. In the case of writing rules I need information.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Which is why I'm asking for input. Quit with the snide shit and try actually giving me some information.

I do find one thing funny. Aren't you the guy who asked me to revive an entire class just for you?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No idea but the OHC vs pushrods does definitely make sense. I didn't think it sounded right but wasn't sure.

9. Duck150

Why yes,I did ask for older mans class to be split into middle and heavy.That was feedback through racers to make the class better,but those two bikes have a class,v-3 and v-1 and v-2.The r5 is 350 twin two stroke much like the rd 350 and the xs will be to new and fast for that class.Also my writing skills on this board do sux....fact....Thanks for listing to my thoughts.....

10. CharlieY

Some decent specs in wiki.....

Triumph 46 HP at 6,500 RPM, 395 lb

XS is 50 HP at 7,200 RPM, 450 lb

I dont know either bike very well. I own a triumph, but its in pieces.

Looks like early XS had CV carbs stock, kinda similar to the CB350 carbs....I think. Those early XS had drum front brake too.

Doug, I think he means 250GP?...right?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thanks for the input. Makes sense.

The class I was referring to was 250GP...

12. Duck150

OK...I try to get it back up and going,Me and my son and Robin,and I do thank-you for trying....... Thought....can you add 55 and older in the senior class,there is a huge different in a 40 year racer and 55 and older......could be a new cool class.......

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope on the 55. No point in doing that other than giving out more trophies and honestly while it does seem on occasion lately that everyone gets a trophy just for showing up, that really isn't the point of racing.

14. CharlieY

When is your 55th B-day Doug, sunday, right? :crackup:

15. boogiesg

boogiesg Well-Known Member

Both the Triumph and the XS have a 360 crank. The Yamaha is a SOHC and the Triumph is a pushrod. The Yamaha is a 5-speed though. Triumphs are 4-speeds for the most part except for the mid 70's ones.

16. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Not so new!

Actually, the XS650 model goes back to the TX650 which was created in 1968. Only minor modifications to refine the bike into the XS650.

From Wiki:
    "The XS650 is a mid-size motorcycle made by Yamaha Motor Company. The standard model was introduced in 1968 and produced through 1979. The "Special" cruiser model was introduced in 1978 and produced through 1985."

17. Duck150

No, not for trophys,just to get some older guys out for fun.....we don't need no trophys when there is beer in the cooler.......................

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty sure the older guys who want to be out there already are aren't you?

19. Duck150

Damn Charlie.............you kill it for me you big dummie................

20. CharlieY

My 1974 TX750 is an 8 valve....4 valves per cylinder.

The TX and the XS crossed paths several times. My dad had an XS500, that was 4 valves per cylinder also...its still in pristine condition.

XS1 was the first of the breed, I believe.