1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

Sean:
    was92V is correct. The R5 was inferior to the RD 350 that it preceeded. However, the rulebook permits the GP class bikes to be brought to "of the period" GP engine, transmission, etc, etc, modifications. So, I can build Paul a R5 to TR3 specs. That is Daytona 200 winning specifications. Air cooled cylinders, six speed close ratio transmission, dry clutch, four shoe front brake. He isn't a bad rider and I think he might have a chance at a Nat'l Championship on a bike like that. So would Scott McCain, Scott Revis. We might give some guys like David Rutherford a battle. (I don't know the other competitors.) Anyway, putting the R5 in 500 GP sucks. And I am a Yamaha guy.
    Lyn Garland
    PS: I also have a HD KRTT that fits the class and it never races.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seems like a lot of good reasons to leave things alone :D

3. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

A modified R5 would clean house. Limited mods or production based might be a good fit. Same for a drum brake only RD250 with stock pipes, might be a good fit. Dont worry diesel riders, there arent many chuckle heads out there that would even consider riding a stock piped two-stroke, other than me.

Along that theme, how about allowing AHRMA light wt. production bikes into 500gp? And Hvwt. Production bikes into V-2. That includes both bikes you are asking about in this thread.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure I want to start referencing AHRMA rules in our rulebook. I agree with the theory but the reality is then I have two rulebooks to enforce for one class - don't want to go there. I'd rather just list the bike and allow limited or no mods.

5. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

Just don't go booting the XS650 out of V3. That would mess up all my plans. :beer:

6. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

I Was There

A couple years ago at Roebling, a racer entered an RD250, fairly stock if memory serves me, an it ran so noticalby different that all the other GP350 and GP500 racers knew there was going to be some education done after we found it listed in our class grid.

I believe the results were that he got second and third places in the V1 and V2 classes...

7. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Not really....its a $150 motorcycle. :D

8. CharlieY

This is what I was getting at earlier with my comment about a stocker XS getting stomped in V3.....XS is currently a HWT proddy bike.....limit it in V-2?, but then again,it will run with SR500's in V2, so, here we go.

I'd have to see what else is LWT legal. I know the rules concerning LWT Honda 350's clash some with the WERA GP rules, in both directions....I believe LWTs can go bigger bore than WERA GP, but stock peg and seat removal are pluses in the other (WERA) direction.

Good info on the 2 strokes, R5, etc...thanx.

For the most part, I also agree with Ken.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. charles

charles The Transporter

Reading through this, I have to wonder about the Yam R5 issue: why not let it in and who, may I ask, is going to spend all the money required to bring an R5 to 'GP spec'??? There's only one guy I know who wanted to race an R5 in WERA, and he's not going to spend that kind of money on it. The R5 is not up to snuff to compete with the modded RD's, so what's the real deal in excluding it from 500GP? If the RD guys who posted here are so keen on the R5, then can I expect to see them on those super-hot R5's?

If the R5 is such the hot item that a few people here sez it is, then why haven't they been racing them for the past 20 years and cleaning everyone's clock?

10. CharlieY

Hey Chas (or anyone)...just for my info and learning experience....whats the difference between a DS-7 like David Hursts, that bumps into 500GP, and an R5?

11. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

100 cc

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The person with one now may not - but if it can be done, sooner or later someone will. Just because they can.

13. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

i think the real question that needs to be asked here is...

what's the name of the cherry picker that has an XS650 and wants to index in, and essentially, bump down to 500gp and run in a class that's - on a good day - made up primarily of 350 Honders that are already bumping up from their regular class. :D

if we guess his name can you confirm for us? :D

if it's a good fit in the class, i say let it run. we little Honda guys that bump up are just riding around filling the grid and hoping 'real' 500GP bikes don't show up and hand us our a$$ anyway. if it takes an XS to beat an XS in 500gp, i guess i could always sell my little Honda and build an XS. :)

14. CharlieY

...And thats it?....nothing with the ports or anything?...tranny same?...years same?

Just trying to learn something here....

15. charles

charles The Transporter

As far as I know, that's the only diff...piston port, same trans, etc. I think the DS7 was made only in 1972....then came the R5 later, but i'll leave it to the DS7- R5 experts...whoever rides those bikes should be paying attention here...

16. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Color. That's how you tell them apart.

17. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

The TX750 is a completely different animal from the 650. The Yamaha 650 was called many names, same bike, same engine. XS1, XS1B, XS2, TX650, XS650. The main changes over the years were styling, heavier frame, electric start, disc front brake. The engine differences are few, a couple of different rod lengths here in the US and with or w/o electric start.
    All the 650's went head to head when they were new, pushrod, OHC, etc.
    Triumphs, BSAs, Benellis, Yamahas.

James....it be me. 650 Triumphs are already there. That's why I asked. It's a 500GP class with 650 twins indexed in, not a CB350 class.
    No need for guesses.

18. drgonzo

Another point. I was looking for a class to race a STOCK XS650 in WERA. It is not competive in V3/4.
    My thinking on the XS is the same as the thinking that indexed the Honda 350 into 350gp. It's a cheap
    bike to race.
    Two strokes. If the 250cc DS7 is legal in 350gp, then why not the 350cc R5 in 500gp?

19. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

wanna swap a GP winning 350 Honda for a running XS650 or know someone that does? i've been wanting to do a bobber job on one for several years. :beer:

20. drgonzo

Don't have one to swap but I can help ya find one.

Back to the existing classes for the XS. Yes, It runs and V3 and V4. I know this.
    Those of you with 350 Honda's, is there much difference in a 350gp CB350 Vs. a V1 cb350, as far as performance and costs?
    I know there is with XS650's. I know what my bud Roy has put into his XS V3/Sportsman bike and the difference in power is staggering.

My bike and it's engine are swap meet items, never opened up other than to replace a clutch and oil filters.

If the answer is no to indexing it in to 500gp along with the brit bikes then the answer is no. I was just asking.
    I'm not even trying to stir up anything this time. :beer: