V1-V3, 350, 500 bike? Anyone selling?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mike Kelly, Feb 17, 2010.

1. charles

charles The Transporter

You just be happy with that Chili Dog with Cheese (Cheese Royale?) while you watch true men race true racing machines (known to all as the 2-Stroker).

2. charles

charles The Transporter

Your wife is a lady of fine taste and acute perception of what is right and good for you. You know if you make her happy with that nostalgic 2-stroke sound...well, you know.

You will gaze, Mike, not look, mind you, but gaze at the lovely Siren of Speed in awe, I tell you, in absolute awe...and today, if not today, then soon, real soon, you will bring home that priceless 2-stroke wonder. From there on, you can be assured that The 2-Stroke Racing Horde will be there for you in your most profound moment of inner truth: that the beast in you is awakening...muhahahahahahahaha

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

With Plaster & Muriatic acid...:tut:

4. charles

charles The Transporter

You're the only one I know who drinks that mix! Please change over to something a bit tastier...maybe plaster and vodka, for example...

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Mike,
    I understand your needs and wish you well. I applaud your effort to keep your better half pleases, those of us that are happily married have been there. I do not fear the choice you are about to make, because in your wisdom, you have seen the future. That POS 2 stroke, while pleasant to look upon (not GAZE, Charles. That sounds a little effeminate, and given the bulk that Mike proffesses to possess, I don't think effeminate is a term that applies) won't give you a moments satisfaction on the racetrack. While I concur with Timmy on the hammer and the thumb method, I believe you can avoid the pain and skip right to the result. I suggest that you bring the RD to the track, pull the plugs and one cylinder, scatter and assortment of jets, fouled plugs and scored pistons around and then start right in with the drinking beer. You ave just gotten a 6 hour head start on how the day would have ended up, at only the cost of another case of beer. You can drink all year on the spark plug budget of an RD.

Ken

P.S. If you are ever at a race that I am at, 2 I am trying to bring 2 bikes to the races this year and you are welcome to run one on Saturday in a bump up class or 2.

K

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

Gentlemen:

I went, I saw, and I was saved from my impulsiveness and moment of temporary insanity. The demon's appeal quickly wained when I started to hear phrases such as below from the fellow attempting to rid himself of the 2 stroke albatross otherwise known as an RD. Let me paraphrase some of his comments as best I can...

"Well, it ran like crap when I put the chambers on there so I decided to have the top end done"

"I'm not a carb tuning expert, but I think it should be pretty close, although you might have to mess with it. I'm not sure if I have the air screws right, but I think they are close. This is a pretty common set up."

"I was running 32:1 so I am a bit rich on the mixture, but it was a fresh top end so I wanted to be cautious, so that is why the plug fouled."

I also noticed the rustproofing goo oozing out below the exhaust ports like so many a dirt bike I have had the pleasure of selling in the past.

And I think the final phrase that snapped me out of the spell of the dark side was the owner himself saying "I want to get back to a four stroke, like an XS650."

Although I might have still been swayed if we were closer in price, the racing gods were looking out for me and got me out of there without an RD. Now I am at home, standing by my original statement that I would rather drink beer than screw with a two stroke. I am in fact drinking beer and have no RD to screw around with.

And as a bonus, on my way home I decided to check out an estate sale of an engineer that passed about a year ago and I managed to pick myself up a metal lathe, small milling machine (and a shop smith machine for my father) all for a song, with more tooling than I know what to do with (or what half of it is). So my Sunday will be spent moving some fairly heavy pieces of cast equipment older than I. I figure if I get into this real vintage stuff, having a lathe and a mill will be priceless. So if anyone is in the south jersey area and needs a piece turned, I'll offer up my rank amateur machining ability.

Now if anyone runs across a CB750F, send it my way.

And Ken, thank you very much for the offer, that is very generous.

7. charles

charles The Transporter

He came, he saw, he went home alone.

The RD weeps...."Mike, how could you do this to me?"

8. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Actually I believe you can practice on Saturday, but you will have to Pay if your not racing on Saturday. (forgive me if someone already posted this)

I believe that 400F is the one Weber ran, raced against it many times, depending on its displacement it may be V-2 legal

9. kenessex

Charles,
    RDs always weep. It is usually mung and drool from the exhaust ports because they failed to complete yet another race.
    My previous post has me thinking. If I took a piece of carpeting and glued a couple of smeared RD pistons, some sand paper, a scored cylinder and a bucket of fouled plugs on it, I could just roll it out when I wanted to take it easy and people would be sympathetic and bring me beer.

By the way, as I was writing this I remembered how an RD cylinder head looks like the surface of the moon when a ring breaks into tiny little pieces and gets pounded into the piston crown and combustion chamber.

Ken

10. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

What was the guy trying to get for the RD?

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Well done. Bravo. Full marks.

An excellent decision, and a wise exercise of the Nancy Reagan approach: Just say no . . . to 2 strokes.

You have saved yourself a lifetime of agony, expense and misfortune. There are plenty of 4 stroke opportunities waiting for love, attention, enjoyment and fullfillment.

Also, congrats on the tool pickup. You now have the proper pieces to make the necessary bits that define a race special . . . .

:up:

12. charles

charles The Transporter

I am speechless.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

He started at $1500. He would take $1200. My limit was $1000. He moved to Chicago and was back here only briefly. He had some issues with his tennant that lived above the garage where he was storing the bike. As in she wasn't paying her rent and he was evicting her. He believes she stole the key out of the bike. So he was working on getting a key to get it started. So unless he gets that resolved, he wasnt able to start unless you messed around jumping the ignition circuit.

He indicated that he had shipped the top end to Spec 2 and that there were Spec 2 chambers on there. The bike had an indicated 9,xxx miles. He claimed it had 10-20 miles on the top end that was done last year. It had a crossover tube on the intakes from a banshee? It had some issues here and there, but overall looked like it had some potential. He had title in his name for it. I think the guy was a straight shooter with what he was telling me (or one of the best BSers I have met).

If you want the bike, send me a PM and I'll send you his phone number. He is located just south of Philadelphia.

14. kenessex

Mike,
    Nice pick-up on the tools. I suspect you could almost keep a 2 stroke running now by making mods and bits and pieces that seize, break or fall off.

Ken

15. kenessex

Mike,
    If you want to run V-3, why not go with an XS650. I believe it is considerably less work to get one of those on the track than a CB750. No matter how you look at it the CB750 is a top heavy, slow steering, overweight pig. While that may be an apt description of me, but my wife says I'm cute anyway, those are not admirable traits in a race bike. I think you can get an XS650 on the track safer, easier and cheaper than a CB750, and I bet you can turn faster laptimes on it, too.

Ken

16. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Same exact thing was going through my head...If Rich Oldakowski's is any indication they can make some serious yonk and they are very competitive.

17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

:stupid:

18. kenessex

19. ringdingding

Mike, I think you made a smart choice. Givin the owners description of the 350's running condition, I wouldnt have spent that kind of money either. And he couldnt even start it for you?

Also, with ported cylinders, and who knows what else, it just wouldnt have been the easy maintainence kind of machine it sounds like your looking for.

20. ringdingding