1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V1-V3, 350, 500 bike? Anyone selling?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mike Kelly, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

OK, I about have my V6 bike ready and I got to thinking... what am i going to do on Saturday afternoons after Saturday morning practice. I guess I could walk the dog and drink beer all day (which still sounds like a good idea). But I had this crazy idea of getting an old V1-V3, 350 or 500 bike.

Here are my questions:

1. Suggestions on bikes for a tall, fat guy - 6'2" 260lbs - no two smokes
    2. How cheap can I get one of the above turn key? Selling yours?
    3. Tires for above - how much and how long do they last?

I like wrenching, but I like it more at home than at the track. If a bike takes a crap on me, I'd rather fix it at home so something semi reliable would be preferred if it exists (yeah, yeah, I know true racers swap motors out the night before the race during the van ride to the track in the middle of the hurricane while their driving and doing their taxes...)

I want old if I am going to even consider giving up beer all day, so skip V4 and V5 ideas.

2. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Guess you didnt hear but, if your not racing Saturday afternoon, you aint practicing Saturday morning anymore.

You might want to include two-strokes in you want list. If your looking for just anything to race Saturday, nothing is easier, cheaper and more reliable to race than a V-2 legal RD. Can bump up a couple times and still find someone to race with too.

I have two V-2 Rd's, the between race weekends race prep goes like this. Check the chain and tire pressures, and go race it. Did that all year last year with the RD350, that captured two regional championships. Now the 400 is ready and was treated the same way for the three rounds it saw, including the GNF for both. Piloted by Kevin Aysque.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  3. Mike Kelly

No, I didnt hear about sat practice. Damn, that sucks.

I'd rather drink beer than screw around with a two stroke.

4. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

quoted just for the sheer genius contained in that statement. :cool:

4 strokes rule. 2 strokes suck it. :D

5. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

You are much smarter then you look in person...;)

6. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

I like the way you think, Mr. Kelly...Ignore the oil burning lumpenproletariat, they obviously have no appreciation for the finer things in life, like beer, and coming back to the pits under one's own power...

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Hey Charles,

I think me and Chumpster have a new friend.

Ken (The four stroke visionaries are making their presence known)

8. mollydog

mollydog Well-Known Member

Mike: Why no V-4? I have a 1982 Suzuki GS450. Turnkey, track ready. Also about an hour from you, near Lansdale, Pa. Did I mention "Cheap"? E-Mail [email protected]
    Rich Andrews

9. phantom 309

phantom 309 Well-Known Member

You are a very smart man!!!!!!!!

10. Mike Kelly

Nah, it is too close in age to my 87 FZR. I want something made before I was born just to experience a different era of riding/racing. It seems the CB350 is a good pick? Just looking for some input on old bikes of which I know very little. 1982 just isn't old enough.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

uh oh....the 350gp grid needs more cb350's for sure!! bring it!!

12. charles

charles The Transporter

The entire lot of you, except for Mr. RingDingDing, are in need of intensive psychotherapy and various forms of involuntary shock treatments, except for Tim, who needs a full frontal lobotomy for hanging out in NYC dressed up like some elite Wall Street pimp looking for a bailout...

And I blame this pseudo-insurrection on you, Ken, along with your Chummy cohort. Shame on you for trying to upset the equilibrium of the planets, for crissakes, the entire universe is run on two-stroke power! It's all very scientific so it's a fact that you can not dispute. Everyone knows this.

Learn to get with the system. Resistance is futile, and the beatings will continue until we have peace and love.

13. Mike Kelly

14. Chumbucket

I remember that bike...Not sure about the V2 rules, at worst I'd think you might have to go back to a spoked wheel...

Under wheel types you run into this: V2 and V3 will use wire spoke built-up or cast wheels if they were OEM equipment on the production bike.

Not sure about the brakes...You probably want to review this: http://www.wera.com/rulebook/?x=1098#ch11

...until somebody that actually knows this stuff backwards and forwards chimes in...Neat bike...

15. Chumbucket

Fixed it for you, Charles, you can thank me later...

16. ringdingding

No beer is that good, wait, maybe Yuengling, no, no.

Ride any motorcycle or drink beer, sorry, ride any motorcycle wins.

17. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I see a "chink" in the armor....:D

And BTW sir....love that tagline!:up:

18. ringdingding

19. Chumbucket

Aw gee, Dingding, that's a heck of an offer there...Run the guy on his 350GP CB with your V2 "stock" piped RD350...

See how they are, Mike? Insidious I tell ya...

20. ringdingding

Whats the matter, chicken, bock bock.