1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZX400

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Feb 1, 2023.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

About what I expected .
    I doubt it will take much to gain 10hp.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

For a 1st time rider or someone who just wants a spirited new bike to have fun on, without excessive performance..it's good.
    But below is my reality with it...
    411 lb "real" 60h.p.400 cc
    Vs 427lb 128.h.p. 750cc.

Screenshot_20230316-150556.png
    Screenshot_20230316-150111.png
    Few bikes I've ever ridden ,feel better than a 96-99 GSXR750..but if it even came close, it could do itself proud.
    But still a 400 cc machine ,IMO Should be hovering in @ a fighting weight of 370 lbs or less!!
    Bike pictured was 366 lbs and 140.h.p.

Attached Files:

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Not even a close comparisons .
    You chose a race prepped bike .
    The stock exhaust alone on the ZX400 is most likely in the 20lb + range .
    In race form it should be down 30-40 lbs .

4. This old Rz

I'd have to disagree I think it's a perfect comparison showroom floor to showroom floor there within 15 lb of each other after weight reduction they're still going to be within 15 lb of each other....
    Still a great bike though but the deal breaker for me is the weight a lightweight bike has to be lightweight not the same weight as a middleweight.....

motoracer1100 likes this.
  5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Little hard to do and keep price reasonable considering both bikes need same parts. Few pounds in engine and few elsewhere is about it.

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Purpose built RC200 is 333lbs .
    What is the last street bike you bought ?

8. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

I'd like to know why that article also cites 'European' specs, models and press releases like 8 fukin times..

9. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

As far as I know there isn’t a Euro spec. There might be one in the future but Europe is not getting this bike for this year.

I have never seen a press release about this bike specifically from Europe. I think there was a global press release and there was an assumption that it was coming to Europe but as of right now I believe it’s only in the Asian markets, Canada and the US. As far as the “full power” specs that have been floating around, that’s for the Asian market.

10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

11. This old Rz

That's kinda what I'm saying...
    I only know the weight of my bikes from manufacturing specs..but these are the weights of my current bikes as they sit ..I' have..obviously weight reduction regime on all but the RS & the Bullet..there all stock except for the JL pipes on the RS.
    The RS isn't mine.. I was going to buy it I just not too fond of the looks...of this model. I'd rather have my Daytona Special RD400 back...so returning this one.

I can't afford to make em much lighter..things get too $$expensive for my budget w carbon & magnesium.
    Yes . I was bored last night...lol

My RZ Frankenstein is 330 lbs w fuel.

The 97 SRAD is 367 lbs no fuel/ no bodywork

Rs250 was 340 lbs w fuel

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 is 373 lbs w fuel

86 VFR750 is 446 lbs...lol ...a I tried but a diet is futile

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

None of those are modern bikes.
    Since at least 2006 manufactures have installed catalytic converters .
    The one on my Ninja 650 was close to 20lbs . So you have to take that into consideration .

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

None of those are stock either...

14. britx303

I’d take a 400 lbs I4 Kaw-Yam-Hon-Suz over a 300lbs Royal Enfield any day!!!!! :p

Banditracer and JBall like this.
  15. This old Rz

Lol....that was just a example of a 1955-99 iron bike...weighing in LESS than the most modern 400cc bike you can buy.
    To me...that's just plain pathetic...lol and it really is when ya think about it .
    That Royal, frankly is my absolute favorite motorcycle....I've had some pretty awesome machinery in my time..but truth be told....NO BIKE I've ever swug a leg over gets more attention, I can't go 10 minutes without a thumbs up,high 5, or endless questions....And @ heart I'm a through & through motorcyclist..nutjob, I love just about anything w wheels.
    The bike..is just the pure essence of a riding experience....it allows you to absorb all the freedoms of wind in your face, at a pace that you can take it all in...It's beyond relaxing to take out for a ride.
    I don't think I'll ever get rid of it ..all the sport bikes would go before that..only the RZ would stay alongside her.
    Only a really trick Triumph bobber..could knock her out of the garage..lol
    But from a performance point of view yeah performance in no way can be included in the vocabulary of a description of the bike..lol

britx303 likes this.
  16. britx303

I had one for several years. Agreed it gets constant thumbs up when you are cruising on one. I’m just not sure whether those thumbs ups were for the cool factor or the astonishment that it was actually running :crackup:

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Stock? Awesome machine.

18. This old Rz

Lol

19. This old Rz

Screenshot_20230318-202110.png

Dude, it's one of the iconic 80s paint jobs red /white/blue. Gear driven cams..the sound!!
    I actually have 2. 1st one I bought sight unseen...but it was just a total mess cosmetically.
    So I bought another one..that has most of the modifications I was going to do...
    It has a custom:
    1.) Right side only Hi mount Yoshimura. exhaust.
    2.) Honda HRC /CBR style 6 spoke wheels conversation!.
    3.) Airtech solo seat.
    4.) Old skool Linderman suspension.
    5.) Fox Twin clicker shock.
    I have a ton of Xtra parts.....carbs are gummed up..it was sitting for 5 yrs....w fuel in the tank☹️
    Carbs on these SUCK to work on..lol
    Going to add a Airtech upper,
    As much Ti as I can afford...
    I can pull maybe another 15 lbs off her...
    Bikes great..it has 22k on the ODO.
    The VFR set the 24hr endurance record, demolished the GSXRs record...bullet proof Honda....
    I'm doing a basic "Fred Merkel" replica (picture).
    Why..because Fred was a Badass..and could beat all of them including Rainey...lol
    Not going to do a internet race replica "geek" replica..just the basics....just gonna keep it simple..it's a great looking bike ..it can attain 150 mph...that says alot for 1986. And fast enough for me.. lol

Razr likes this.
  20. 72westie

72westie Well-Known Member

It may weigh less then the newer 400, but that HP number is a little lower. 16.8 HP at the rear wheel on a 2001 Iron barrel 500. With a lot of work (and over 500 dyno runs) it hit 40+.

britx303 likes this.