1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which dirt bike is the better buy?

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Jul 24, 2020.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm not looking for a quiet and peaceful death. :D

t500racer likes this.
  2. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Well I just binged watched the first two seasons of Yellowstone the other day , so I was in that mindset . Not some Euro Trash Country . :flag:

3. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Not much quite or peaceful about big bore two strokes

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That's up near Frackville/ Shamokin? If there was a perfect place for a riding area (and maybe a race track) that area would be it. :D

Well, except for the coal fires and falling into a coal hole. :D

Dig a hole up in eastern PA and it's shale with some coal and just enough dirt to hold it all together.

5. fastfreddie

Nor big bore 4s. Mine's loud AF and completely stock.
    (There may have been some time-worn modification to the muffler packing, assisted by a complete dunking of the muffler and subsequent blowing out. :D)

motoracer1100 likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

Yup. It can be as challenging as you want to make it or as easy as a Sunday stroll. There's talk of adding a competition offroad course and, remarkably, even some talk about closing down Rt125 (The Little Dragon) for some TT stuff.
    Don't get me started on what lie just below the surface of my "lawn"...

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Thinking about it, Wasn't there talk of a track up there at one point? The developer pissed off the local PA political machine and got his dick stomped into the PA political quagmire or some shit.

Don't f@ck with PA politics. :D

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I try to shy away from sweeping generalizations, but in any possible permutation of this question involving a KTM, the answer is always the other bike. Which bike is cooler, faster, more orange, and so on, is a totally different question.

9. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

For riding with kids you do not want a 450sx, or any other motocross bike for that matter. I got rid of my KX250F because it wouldn’t go less than 10mph in 1st without feathering the clutch. The WR is a much better choice, but I ended up with a KTM 250xc 2-stroke. It’ll idle along at a crawl with no complaints.

10. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

WR FTW. The KTM is a track bike, unless you want to take the time to soften up the suspension for trail riding.

11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Well, the WR250 won out.

When I got there, the thing was NICE! Even had pro taper bars and heli-coils to raise the bars some and the dude didn't even know it.

I would have loved the KTM but I just think it is more purpose built than what I need around the house.

Picked it up for $3400 but it does need new tires, so all in, I'll be about $3700.

noles19, Phl218 and rd400racer like this.
  12. fastfreddie

Rausch Creek. Had the track layout cleared and level...then, I don't know. It was right at the intersection of I-81 and exit 107(?). That was 18 years ago.
    There is an offroad park SW of the intersection with the same name. Used to be an MX track on the NE side of the same intersection, same name.
    I'm guessing the land, being at an Interstate interchange, is more valuable for truck distribution warehouses and industrial development cuz there ain't jackshit else there. "Paragon" used to be a nice offroad park near Hazleton...it lost out to "development". :rolleyes:

It took quite a bit of arm-twisting to get AOAA approved, but it's been a success - much to the naysayer's chagrin. AOAA also borders RAC (Reading Anthracite Company). RAC sells riding permits, 20K acres, 650 miles of trails, but it is otherwise an active coal mining property. There's talk of a joint pass, prolly trying to iron it out as we speak. If RAC and AOAA can work together, there's a real good chance AOAA will push to build a dedicated road course and other (dirt) competition venues. As it stands, AOAA is still working on campground approval after 9 years.

13. ClemsonsR6

Here she is.

Attached Files:

scottn, Senna, ChemGuy and 1 other person like this.
  14. fastfreddie

Nice score! Don't forget to get a heat shield for that muffler!

DmanSlam likes this.
  15. ClemsonsR6

That and a baffle. Original owner pulled that.

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I've got (effectively) brand new Warp 9 wheels with 100% brand new tires (I believe Michelin Power Cups - not sure if 2 or Evo but can find out) that I had on my WR250. Not sure what they're worth, but I'd sell them for a lot less than that if you wanted them :D

17. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

Nice find!

18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new bike! Is it a WR250F? Those are supposed to be super reliable dual sports, great for all kinds of roads.

I'm not super well versed on all of the years of KTM's, but my general understanding is that if it has "S" in the model name it is more of a motocross bike, with a high strung engine and 4 speed transmission. They've never really interested me.

I'm a huge fan of my 2006 400(dirt) and 525(motard) EXC's. I have plates for both of them so I can go anywhere with them. The thing I love about KTM's is they feel like race bikes even when you're tooling around. I love a bike that urges me to ride hard.

Another bike not mentioned in this thread is the Yamaha XT 225/250, which is similar in class to a Honda CRF 230/250L. I bought one for a buddy to ride on the KAT and it was awesome. It really reminded me of my Grom in that it made you feel like a kid when you rode it. I'd climb all over town on that thing just smiling the whole time. It was so slow, but I didn't seem to care.

19. fastfreddie

If he pulled the baffle, I wonder if he re-jetted?
    Maybe you can find an OEM take-off that has both the shield and baffle? The shield w/ hardware is $180 from Yamaha and they don't sell the baffle individually. An OEM spark arrester is $225. :eek:
    I've seen aftermarket shields, they're less than $50. Based on their look and limited coverage, you're better off making your own...remember to use some form of vibration damping.
    Pulling the OEM baffle does make it louder, but it also gives a mild power increase...jetting is almost certainly required. So...
    If ya gotta re-jet, might as well get a lighter slip-on that's prolly only as loud (if not quieter) as the de-baffled OEM. FMF's Q4 comes to mind...

The real advantage to a shielded OEM muffler is if you fall on the right side and your leg is trapped under the pipe. Hot steel doesn't cool quick enough for it not to hurt...badly.
    Aftermarket pipes, miraculously, only seem to burn bare skin. :D

20. ClemsonsR6

You bastard! A set of dedicated dirt tires and street tires.....URGHH......NO, No, no......I can't....I won't......the wife would kill me.........No.

PM me a price.

Sabre699, Phl218 and SuddenBraking like this.