1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which dirt bike is the better buy?

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Jul 24, 2020.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Oh, I understood just fine. What I was saying is that you can ride seemingly forever on one tank of gas. I've gotten four hours just puttin' around while exploring trails. Works out pretty good for a lunch break back at the trailer, then back to the trails for another tankful of mild play.
    I think if I wanted to, I could empty it in an hour, but something you said about being in shape might hinder me these days. :D

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

So the munchkin says to me this afternoon....Dad...is there a place where we can go ride new trails at? I think I shed a tear. Been looking at local OHV trails near here. Found a 23 mile trail system about an hour from the house that should be doable for the munchkin.

scottn, Kurlon and SuddenBraking like this.
  3. fastfreddie

Where are you located?

4. ClemsonsR6

South Carolina - Columbia area

5. fastfreddie

That's way out of my familiarity zone but, certainly, someone here knows of other, family-friendly, places to ride in your area when you run out of local OHV stuff.
    It's awesome that "kiddo" has such enthusiasm. It's okay to shed those tears. :D

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

2018 ktm all day and twice on sunday. I have two 2018 250xcf's and a 2019 250xcf. (same as sxf other than bigger tank, kickstand, 18" rear wheel and lil' different trans).
    I have put 270 hours on one, and just did the crank. over 300 hrs on the other 2018 and am just now doing a crank. pistons every hundred hours. (wood riding, not pro mx rider). if the yamaha was a 2018, and the yzf X model or even the yzf , then ya still need to get the yamaha a bit cheaper. $4500 isn't bad at all. I paid $5500 for one of the 2018's used with 40 hours, but it was pretty rough as it was a hard-enduro riders bike, this was over a year ago, so i'd still pay $4500 for it. the xcf's are much more rare to find.. but that Sxf would be perfect for what you are talking about doing. E-start is a must. (i think that yamaha W would have e-start but not sure).

7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Good info but he already bought the WR.

8. fastfreddie

Replace the crank? Is that to say if I did nothing but recreational riding 27 weekends a year (figure 10 hours/weekend), I'd have replaced a crank every year for twenty years? I ain't that stupid...I woulda sold it year one and never looked back. :Poke:
    :D

scottn likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

Drive a bit north to Enoree OHV trails, they are really rideable...

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

riding 4-5 days a week, it's helpful to have 4 or 5 bikes ;) ya just send one in to be serviced.. likely another is being serviced or waiting on a part.. still leaves 1 or 2 that are ready to ride. Even with my nice discount on a KTM, i'm into one for close to $10k after suspension, Rekluse auto clutch, solid rotor, header guard.. lucky to get a bit more than half with 80 hours or 180 hours. So for $1500'ish i send the crank out to have a new rod/plane bearing kit pressed on to the original one (new crank pin the rod rides on), piston and rings, seals and gaskets, labor.

11. ClemsonsR6

That's where I was looking to take her. Oh, and check yo PM's fool.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. fastfreddie

No wonder 4Ts get such a bad maintenance rap. KTM thinks they're 2Ts. :D

Did I mention 20 years on a 426 and not a single valve adjustment? Yeah, okay...overbuilt, indestructible, tank of a motorcycle, but my only disappointment ever was how easily the OEM hbars folded. :crackup:

13. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Just reading this thread. @ClemsonsR6...good stuff here.

I used to have two YZ250 2-strokes (2000 and 2001). After at least 100 kickstarts on my last trail ride, I sold the less-modified one of them and picked up a 2018 KTM 300 xcw.

Finally took the 2018 KTM 300 xcw out for the first time. What a blast. It still hits the jumps well. But I bought it for the e-start and its built-in trail-ready features (that a Husky or Beta would need aftermarket parts). That e-start button did not disappoint!

Might sell the other YZ since I'm not doing much MX anymore. Like @ClemsonsR6 wrote, it's hard to ride that 2T slow.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Betas are their own animal, but the Husky is basically a blue and white KTM, what does the 300 XCW have that the Husky doesn't for 'trail-ready features' besides still rocking the older PDS swingarm in 2018 vs the Husky's linkage setup?

15. Which one? Got my kiddo a crf 70 as he outgrew his Pw 50. Since mid March he’s out over 80 hours on dirt bikes and he doesn’t let them idle long. We trail ride a lot but I built a small “track” on neighbors property and working on jumping. He’s got fundamentals down and he’s not at the point the crf won’t cut it anymore. I know the ktm clutches are a pain but I still think it’s time to get a ktm 50. They are cheap used, especially compared to the used Crf 70/80 market as well as TTR’s. There is a few I found well maintained and fresh plus already have cost of rebuild parts in the budget. As soon as I can get some time to actually drive to go get one as there aren’t many very close I’m going to grab one. If he doesn’t like it then I’ll get rid of it even if it’s at a loss. If he does I’ll motard the crf but sure as heck not telling him that now.

16. Was wondering the same as I “need” a new either ktm or husky for myself as my older exc is going to be used for street duty. I have the budget to get a newer but used exc/ husky 300, some sort of crf 230/ TTr for riding with the kid. I’d rather buy even a 5 year old ktm or husky and have another bike to ride with the kid vs a new one. I don’t ride fast enough to need a new one, I’m slow but I’m also ok with that.

17. DmanSlam

Just read up on the Huskies. Apparently, a Husky and KTM are the same now. My comment was based on back when Husqavarnas were lost imo (well before the KTM acquisition). I seriously doubt the PDS has a performance advantage over traditional linkage -- BUT it's not a disadvantage either. I like its simplicity and ease of maintenance. The Betas are pretty bada$$ and I found one for a '20 for a great price. But that price advantage goes away when I added in the few aftermarket accessories I felt were obligatory for trail riding.

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

We need to get together and ride and you can try mine out. Bought a 20 300XC about a month ago and it is the best bike Ive ever owned. super plush and super smooth power, cant stall it if the throttle is open at all, just keeps chugging...

DmanSlam likes this.
  19. DmanSlam

I've only one ride on my '18 300XC-W but can definitely chime in agreement here. My YZ 250 2T (both engine and suspension are tuned for hare scrambles) will eat it up on the MX track but it's no match for the KTM on the trails. I forgot to wear my kidney belt; didn't need it for the KTM.

20. I have my neighbors new r1200gs this week. Seen pics of yours, love them. My old hybrid of years is still a beast. Not as good as new ones except maybe torque wise with stock bore but heavy rotating assembly that rotates in a bit lager circle :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020