1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

True... but

My idea is to have a multi-purpose weapons system. The beauty of the 300 AAC is that it uses the AR15 lower and mags. So shit hits the fan or whatever I have a 3 tier weapons system that I can swap out in seconds.

I have my AR lower, a 5.56 upper, a .22 LR upper and a 300 upper that are all sighted in, just have to be swapped to the lower and they lash on to my pack nicely.

300 for big game/longer range, 5.56 for middle ground and the .22 for close in/small game.

3 different weapons systems without the bulk of 3 different weapons.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Colt and S&W are two of very few companies producing all major components in house. Both make excellent quality rifles. S&W has more choices. Also S&W is the only rifle producer with the capability to forge melonite treated barrels. Check out the MP15 Sport. Melonite treated, 5R rifling, 1:8 twist. Everything you need and nothing you don't.

Review http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ger/-gun-review-smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport/

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Kinda have the wrong idea on 300blk for long range, its generally regarded as 200 yards and closer round. Guess it depends on what your definition of long range is. Its ballistics fall off pretty fast at longer ranges.

The .223/5.56 will take down whatever you need and any realistic distance you are likely to engage anything at. And is more stable for longer distances. Also has the benefit of being much cheaper to buy currently and practice with. "Most" AR shooters are putting maybe a few hundred rounds down the tube a year. At that rate, getting into other calibers is kinda pointless. Save the money that would be used for other rounds/barrels etc and run a couple carbine courses as I advised before. After that, you are still starting with a 223/5.56 so picking up a 300blk barrel isn't going to break the bank.

I get the gist that this is a "doomsday" type scenario, in which case, 300blk would make even less sense.

4. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

5. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

I have the M&P-15 .223 with all the magpul goodies and it's a fun gun to shoot. Next upgrade is a nice optic, which will be coming sooner or later

6. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

if i were to own one weapon and it were to be an AR type, it would be a .308/7.62 nato.

yeah, yeah, yeah...you can carry more .223/5.56 nato ammo which is good if you suck at shooting cuz you're gonna need it to take out anything of substantial size, kinda like the 9mm vs .45 argument.

if you will operate in an occluded area(woods, brush, etc.) a .223 will be accurate up to that first twig it will inevitably come into contact with on its way downrange.
    yardage isn't an issue with either but we're not talking about shooting groundhogs on clear, open prairie, are we?

armor? if you suck at shooting, caliber will matter.
    zombies? it's head shots that count.

why differentiate your targeting?
    why use an inferior caliber?
    go big, go for the head.

i have a colt 6601(5.56) and i have a rem 700(.308), not to mention others. in a scenario where i would need bug-out/defensive weapons but could only have one, it would be the .308.

8. TrackStar

I'm going to disagree.

I've been killing deer and elk for 25 years. A 5.56/.223 is pretty useless against Mule deer or large size game. Especially using bulk FMJ ammo.

Headshots are a joke. Low probability of a hit in normal hunting situations. Factor in drop, windage and angle of attack and you might as well get a sling shot out. Vitals are the shot and the 5.56 has too much yaw after impact to be reliable.

The 5.56 is a great personel round. People tend to get shot, fall down and lay there. Animals tend to run when they get hit. I've seen coyotes hit with a 5.56 at 200 yds run off with their guts dragging behind them. People wont do that.

For a doomsday scenario the 300 AAC is your better choice (in an AR15 platform) than the 5.56 for hunting. The bullet is double the grain for harder hits. It's been compared to the 30/30 for hunting and that caliber has killed more game than the others combined. With 300 yds and under being an average shot on a deer around here thats the better choice (again if your wanting to build on an AR15 platform).

Freddie I agree with you on the .308. Great round. I just wanted the ability to swap between 3 different calibers with one platform.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  9. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

OP, how much are you going to spend? The only drawback to the M&P 15 SPORT (this is the Sport model only) is that it doesn't have a dust cover or a forward assist (though you will most likely never actually need those). I built a JD Machine lower with a Noveske upper for about $1,000.

I would suggest hanging out on ar15.com, m4carbine.net or even calguns.net for a while before making any buying decisions.

10. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

STAG MODEL 3. I own a FFL, and is the closest Milspec, most accurate and well built AR rifle I've ever shot.
    Most fun Gun I own is an AR15 pistol. I prefer the side bolt without the charging handle so you don't have the stupid buffer tube. Loudest gun I've shot besides a .50 cal. At an indoor range, everyone stops what theyre doing to see what your shooting

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

12. TrackStar

+1 LOVE my STAG.

13. fastfreddie

i doubt anything on the receiving end has ever laughed about it. :D

14. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

We aren't disagreeing as much as you think we are. I was responding to the OP's first post with his intended use. Which basically sounded to me like he is looking for a range toy. In which case, might as well get a standard AR in the normal chamberings. Once he has some time handling one, learns how to use it and decides what his future uses are going to be, then by all means, go with whatever caliber that fits your profile. Getting another barrel at that point is pretty easy. But if this is his first AR, simply no reason to complicate things with other calibers at this point. Your individual uses are obviously different and you obviously have the knowledge to select whatever caliber fits your needs.

That said, I do agree that the 300blk has a lot going for it and makes up for a lot of the shortcomings that the 5.56 has, if you are actually using it for more than a range toy. I honestly think it will be the first alternative round that actually gains some traction due to the fact that it solves a lot of issues with the 5.56 but without the hassle of special mags, BCG's etc.

Freddie, I had an Ironridge Arms AR 10 in .308. That thing was fun as hell, accurate, easy to shoot and the .308 would be my choice as well if the world was going to end tomorrow. That said, it cost more to shoot, was too heavy for carbine type courses and I don't hunt. So I eventually sold it, but I regret it almost every day. I'll own another AR10 eventually though.

15. fastfreddie

i'm sure there are better platforms for a .308 than the AR but having one would be like showin' up to the mouse motor drags with a rat under the hood.
    everyone would know you were in a different class but they wouldn't begrudge your turn at the lights.

aside from a pump 12g, my .308 is the only manual action weapon in the arsenal. it just happens to be my favorite.
    if it were semi-auto, i'd be broke. considering i also have a barrett semi- and still went on vacation, i think that says a lot about my affection for the .308. :D

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Forward assist is not needed and wasn't part of Stoner's rifle design. Dust cover is not needed unless you are going to Afghanistan. The review expands on it when the guy throws handfuls of sand in the action, no malfunctions. You can close the bolt without a forward assist.

17. TrackStar

18. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

Looks as if . .

I am going with a Ruger SR 556sc (10 cap. mag due to NJ Law). I got it for a real good price and the gun seems to be loved by all reviewers. I look forward to shooting it. As for the doomsday scenario, I've got a Weatherby Mark V chambered in 7mm WB Mag, a Remington 700 BDL in .308 and a Browing semi auto chambered in 30-06. As such, I have plenty of knock down power. Plus, numerous shotguns. Funny, at the gun store they are now selling targets with pics of zombie heads on them. I had to laugh. Funny stuff. I'll let you know how I like it. Should be a blast to shoot. Finally, everyone knows that only a head shot works on zombies . . . . . I mean c'mon :p

19. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys!

Just great. I joined this forum due to my love for motorcycles and racing. Now, you have polluted my mind with firearms. The result, I have now shelled out $4200 on firearms. An AR 15 type rifle and an AR 10 type rifle. Thanks a bunch. Let's keep the topics to racing so that I am not completely broke.:eek:

20. Bluebeemer

Bluebeemer Active Member

I have A Rock River arms AR and Like it. Any Ideas where to get reasonable ammo for it. Ive been getting at it at gun shows.

Attached Files: