1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washer dryer

Discussion in 'General' started by Derick, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

i need to buy a set. Budget is $800-1k (prefer closer to the 8 though). What ya got?

Shenanigans likes this.
  2. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

Not quite in your budget but I've heard good things about SpeedQueen .

Funkm05 and fastfreddie like this.
  3. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Speedqueen is your basic no-frills, no electronics, built-to-last washer/dryer. Buddy works for them up here in Ripon. It’s no coincidence that when my mom needed a new set for the cabin, this is what I had her get. LOVE them.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I've been w/d shopping. Speed Queen. I'll pay for it but there's a good reason, they are commercial grade. In other washers these days of comparable price, you're paying for the fancy electronics. I think Speed Queen says, "Fuck that shit, nobody uses all those features, so here's what we give you - simple operation with HD reliability and longevity."
    Their base w/d combo is about $1660. Go to an appliance store. Talk to them. They'll tell you why a Speed Queen is worth buyin'. (You're not gonna have to replace it or treat it with kid gloves.)
    In my case, I know I'm gonna be tossin' dirty, stinkin', rotten motherfuckin' clothes, boots, gloves, coveralls, etc. in there on a regular basis. Our current washer (came with the house, 10 years old) has already fucked up on a number of occasions. The worst being, blowin' off the drain hose, twice, cuz it can't keep a load balanced...shakes the whole fucking house! (And it's on the second floor. Can't tell you where all the water went, but you should see our kitchen ceiling. :rolleyes:) Loadin' bed sheets and/or blankets is an exercise in "I hope this don't destabilize." I watch the machine when I think there's a chance it will become unbalanced. That's bullshit...might as well go to a laundromat.
    Then there's the water control valve that went bad...a minor inconvenience compared to those other incidents. I don't think the brand is important, it's a Maytag, but the relevant consideration is that it's a bottom line, dime-a-dozen product that won't stand the test of time, or my patience. :D
    I wish I had a jug of Tannerite.

Speed Queen...read the reviews.

TurboBlew and Funkm05 like this.
  6. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Kenmore upright washer & dryer. Fuck those stinky front load pieces of shit. I bought the pair in 1996, moved 3 times with them since then and they are still going strong with no issues. Never had to repair anything on either of them. :cool:

Photo likes this.
  7. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Ask an appliance repair person with their own business. They know which ones have issues....brand or model specific. My brother operates his own app repair business. I'll see what he says and get back.

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

We used to have a fancy front load high efficiency washer. It sucked balls and stunk to high heaven no matter how many times I cleaned the mold out or treated with vinegar. Bought a Speed Queen a year ago and have never been happier. Our good friend has a an older one and she has three young boys so she does a lot of laundry and it is a workhorse. I would fully expect this thing to last 20 years.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

timely reply... just perusing a local joint. Im amazed there is so much feedback!
    https://www.setzers.net/products/Speed-Queen/spq/awne82sp113tw01.html

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Had one of the first front loaders, and yes it did get moldy when we didn't know we had to leave the door open after a wash. It still cleaned well. Now with the new washer, we leave the door open, use powder soap exclusively and just do a quick wipe of the interior seal, and it has been all good. LG so far has been good.

Dryer on the other hand..if you can find an old one, those are the best. The one that came with the house I didn't replace because those are awesome, and dry clothes much faster than anything new.

11. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Since you are local the best bet is to goto ABT. Best prices and they will work with you on price sometimes. Also 24 months 0% financing for 2 years. its a no brainer.

12. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I won’t be local in a few weeks. Will buy after the move. Looks like sears has some good deals

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Speed Queen are almost exactly like the old Maytags (before aquisition by whirlpool); I've heard they have the same chassis and many shared components . Rock solid, not efficient (water or power), and beat clothes up. A discerning buyer might say, bring it. They are almost certainly in it for 20 years, whereas your average korean model (high efficiency!) is good for what? Not 20. Maybe, very maybe, not 10.

14. minman26

minman26 Well-Known Member

15. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

The front load washer we have is going on 3 years old. Not a single issue. No stink, mold, etc. After each use we leave the door cracked open so it can dry. Every week or so I give the seal a good wipe down. I clean the filter monthly as well. We run some of those Tide washer cleaner tablets in it once a month as well. It's a 7 cubic foot (I think) so it's big enough to get a king size comforter in. It's got lots of features that come in handy (delay start, multiple rinses, quick wash cycles, etc.) No issues at all.

The front load dryer is the same; no issues at all. Lots of settings, it's quiet, does a great job on bulky items.

Both are Kenmore. Don't recall the price, but it was on the expensive side IIRC, but they also came with the handy storage stands as well.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Any experience with Frigidaire? Good bad otherwise?

17. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I’m starting to feel like I just need to pick something and be happy. The more research you do the more confused you get. This is almost like what kind of oil do you use?

V5 Racer, sharkattack and BigBird like this.
  18. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I resemble that remark. I tend to over analyze everything. Just when I thought my mind was made up and my research complete, I’ll read a few bad reviews and I have to start all over. Never mind that there are 100’s or 1000’s of good to great reviews, the 3 negative ones are the ones that get to me, haha.

Oh, and I only run Royal Purple in the washer and Amsoil in the dryer. Also, I use WD-40 on their chains as well.

BigBird likes this.
  19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Be happy that you picked something or be happy after you've used it? :D

To be fair, collectively, we pretty much all told you to go above your budget. If you need to pick something, do the research on the brands that fall within your chosen budget.
    I've always been satisfied with the brands that have been installed in the apartments I've rented, but I can't attest to their longevity and I'm pretty sure they weren't in your budget, either.

Remember, you get what you pay for. And, yeah, you open up a can o' worms when you start increasing the budget cuz, hey, if you end up looking at $1200, it's not that far of a jump to $1600 and...damn, now you've doubled the budget.
    Good luck! :D

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Whatever you get, it'll be better than beating your clothes with rocks on the edge of a stream.
    Probably.