1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washer dryer

Discussion in 'General' started by Derick, Oct 25, 2017.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

At least the "Spring Water Fresh" scent will be natural. :D

2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

To be clear, there is no parts sharing between SpeedQueen and Maytag. There is no overlap between the companies at all. SpeedQueen is manufactured by Alliance Laundry.

3. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

That just explained something I’ve wondered for quite awhile when the building addition plans for Alliance came across my desk. I was like, WTF kind of laundry place needs a building that big?

TurboBlew and Funkm05 like this.
  4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

They outsource some of the electronics, but everything else is manufactured on-site. They’re a significant employer up this way. Heck, they’re really the only thing keeping Ripon alive, anymore.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I would hope that by this point in the thread we've tripled the OP's budget.

6. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I've had problems with every GE appliance I have, all bought at the same time 8 years ago.
    Replaced the washer with a LG and never looked back. I just keep fixing the dryer.

7. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Not yet. While the recommended speed queen looks fantastic, that’s not in the budget. The leader currently is Frigidaire set at $899. So I’ve gone up $130, from where I started

8. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

If you can wait a couple weeks, the Depot and such will have nice sales on major appliances. Usually the sales leading up to Black Friday are better than actual Black Friday from my prior experience

Sent from a smatrphone

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

As others have stated, stay away from the GE. We had 2 boards go in our high end dryer. First one was under warranty. The second one we said time for a new dryer rather than spending $300 on another new control board. Love the Whirlpool so far.

I also just replaced a $120 part in my 5 year old GE Profile fridge for the ice / water filter. Enough of them go bad that it was an easy search to find the problem when it started acting up (makes a bunch of noise and the water slows or stops). Oh, and of course the similar part is only $50 in some of their other models.:mad:

11. fastfreddie

Definitely wait for the "big sales" days if you can, Black Friday and Fourth of July.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I can't think of any appliance that I or my parents owned that has been any significant trouble. Ever. Regardless of brand. We stuck with basic and have gotten at least 10 years out of everything, some go 20.

13. fastfreddie

Um, yeah...they don't make things like they used to. :D

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'll let you know as soon as we get some age on all the new stuff we got when we remodeled...I take what I said back...a little. We now have an ice machine, first one ever for us. It has not been trouble free.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Earlier this year my daughter moved out on her own in Dallas. I found a used set from an appliance place that had hundreds for sale and you choose what you like. He told me the older non energy saving/water saving units were the best. I got a set like that, looked like new for $350. Just basic Kenmore top load washer and front load dryer. I think it was 8 years old.

16. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Just went through this. While ultimately we ended up buying the one the wife thinks looks best, we narrowed it down by budget, features (more lack of some we didn't want) and ended up with a Maytag set.

Top Loading washer, non-glass lid, "stainless" basket, extra rinse capable, dials, not "touch" controls, full height agitator, fits in our space. Your budget is right wheres ours was. Maytag has 10 year warranty on some parts - I don't remember what, probably lid hinge and back panel, but it's something.

Things to note: Samsung is well built apparently, but when they do break, can be real hard to get parts for. Maytag and Whirlpool have same parent company now. Speed Queen is the "Rokon" of washers and dryers. Look like a throwback to 1977, but look like you can wash bricks. Would have been $1400 set for similar size.

For me it came down to "F' it, it's a $1000. that's really like one double trackday weekend, and I want this done right now." I'm sure they'll wash clothes for 10 years.

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Now, I have a Whirlpool and it is one screaming piece of shit.
    First repair was 3 months in when the pump shit the bed.
    The guy said there was dirt in it. Imagine, dirt in a washing machine.
    You set the controls for the wash cycle you want and then the machine just does whatever the fuck it feels like doing.

Oh yeah, and my wife is mad at me because the washing machine doesn't work right.
    I can't figure out why.
    I may need tannerite.

18. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

anyone have a Samsung or LG?

19. Mugen

Mugen Well-Known Member

Speed Queen is the best the market has to offer now. Every other domestic residential brand is owned by Whirlpool and Electrolux(Frigidaire). Stay away from top-loading washing machines. Stay away from LG and especially Samsung.

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

We have a front load LG. Probably about 4 years old. Had something keep kicking out codes with the door lock mechanism, I think that was 200 to fix. We had a Whirlpool front loader that broke down a few times over the approximately 10 years we owned it so, they were replaced with the LG's.

The biggest complaint we have with the LG, is how it cycles the water valves when filling up at the start of the load. Full on then off, multiple times times while sensing how much water to put int he tub. It is loud enough, it can wake you up.