1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Carolina Motorsports Park?

Discussion in 'General' started by IL8APEX, Jan 24, 2023.

1. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

Soliciting opinions... I have been debating whether to participate in the AHRMA date in March 2023 at Carolina Motorsports Park, but wanted to consult the Beeb on this track to see if it's worth the drive down from Michigan.

Ever been? Have an opinion? Share!

-Tom

2. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

That's a long drive. I live about an hour from the track and enjoy it. It was repaved last year, has rental open air garages, free 110v 20amp power in the paddock (RV spots and power are rented). The bathroom/showers were kind of grungy when I was there last year. The track is relatively flat, so no roller-coaster fun.

IL8APEX likes this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

yes, do it

4. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Paging shenanigans to the help desk

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool track I've always liked but getting good lord expensive for what/where it is. Granted that part doesn't affect you guys too much.

6. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Good track, a little narrow compared to some of the larger national tracks like Pitt, has a good mix of technical and fast, many good passing spots on the brakes, some spot are single lined.

IL8APEX likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Skatin' on Alan Wilson's coat tails?
    Sounds like they need to up the facilities to match the track's layout if they've lost their minds about pricing.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Now for the stupid question - Motard friendly? I assume they'd run Sound of Singles / Sound of Thunder classes so I wouldn't be the only yahoo on one?

IL8APEX likes this.
  9. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

we made the trip for a track day a couple years ago from Michigan. it was worth it. fun lay out with a good mix of straights and tight technical.
    Shower house was ok better than the old grattan LOL

IL8APEX likes this.
  10. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Feels sorta like Gingerman. No long straights and a couple heavy braking areas. Keeps you busy! I like it, but then I liked Gingerman the one time I raced there.

IL8APEX likes this.
  11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I hate that place, I crash every time I go there

Waterboy, Phl218 and Buell1965 like this.
  12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

They have updated the facility massively since the new owners have taken over. repaved, added lots of staff to make everything run easier. added full hookup 100amp rv sites bathrooms are clean, new people at the concession stand etc. I'm sure it cost more than it use to and is more than tally and Roebling but it's way cheaper than the bigger facilities.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All of those things they make money on (the rv stuff especially as they directly rent them) or make it easier on them (their gate personnel will not sell or even check for our wristbands so we got little to no gate money last year, they stopped renting the garages directly and just charge us a flat rate for all of them so we have to then sublet them to recoup that money). The other updates are great but do not remotely do anything to attract enough riders to offset the cost increases. As for cheaper, not as much as you'd think. No it's not Road Atlanta or Barber but it's currently punching way above it's weight class - to the point Evelyne wasn't going back this year but chose to give it one more shot.

Like I said, I personally have always liked the track but they're trying to be like tracks in major metropolitan areas in what they're charging and doing and it's just not feasible in Kershaw. I hope we get enough rider support to keep doing it at least once a year.

ToofPic and Buell1965 like this.
  14. fastfreddie

I don't get these tracks that charge so much and have virtually nothing to offer spectators. You'd think they could at least toss in some bleachers.

Sabre699 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Then you'd have them charge a gate fee - and take all of it.....

16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

To point out to people reading I don't work for them so I won't speak for them and I hate how much anything in this sport costs so I hate any increases.
    But.. Most people complained about the pavement and wouldn't show up because of it so they spent millions and paved it and now it cost more but more people do show up.
    As far as it not being cheap it is the 3rd cheapest place Wera goes in the south east is it not? And they don't want to be Barber or tally they want to be in the middle which I think they are doing facility-wise and track wise it is much better than Roebling or Tally. they also have the majority of the calendar year full including a few weekdays weekly.
    The garage part I can see it being a pain for orgs that aren't used to it but it wasn't worth the hassle that riders were making it for them so now it falls on whoever rents the track.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

drove the 15 plus hours from New Hampshire. four times so how bad could it be? the repave helps A lot RV hooks ups go fast new fuel station is nice the food is not bad just a little out of the way. bathrooms are clean. nothing much around the track it's in the middle of nowhere, Camden is 25 30 away. track is a good mix of fast and technical the two 90s at each end of the main straight are out of character with the rest of the track . otherwise, it's fun.

IL8APEX likes this.
  18. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

great place to go if you like a terrible track layout, sand in t1, 45 mins from civilization, $35/day for 30a power, overpriced concessions, and only access roads are paved. that kink that causes airlifts to the hospital wasnt repaired after the repave either.

i've raced at 17 tracks and i think CMP is ranked 16.

IL8APEX likes this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Raced minis there in the half track layout many moons ago before they built it up. Liked it back then. Went back and did a trackday there once but it's been a very long time.

IL8APEX likes this.
  20. fastfreddie

Geezus. It's like we can't even win for losing...<sigh>