1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Carolina Motorsports Park?

Discussion in 'General' started by IL8APEX, Jan 24, 2023.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Roebling used to have a huge bump in the faster turn on the track which would launch people directly to the hospital, without needing to use a helicopter cuz it was so damn fast! lol CMP has also been repaved in the last couple of years so both are very nice and smooth now. Not sure what dirt you're referring to in T1....never had any issues there. It's more technical and challenging than Roebling, which is why I like it more. I'm not very good at CMP at all, but I do like the layout. I'm much more competitive at RRR, but that's cuz it's an easy track and everyone is decent there.

2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

the bump for RRR was supposed to have a cone over it for pit-in, but yea that's gotten me a few times too.
    the CMP kink wasnt fixed at repave and actually had back to back day helicopter rides the year it was fresh.
    T1 at CMP has dirt if you run wide because all the tires in the pits have sand on them when pitting out and that gets pushed out towards T1 if you were to blow the turn.

3. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Hey Joe, It was just me and Dave Brown in the LW Twins class last year, with a ton of the 400"s ...you can imagine how that turned out for me :oops:

50Joe likes this.
  4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Yeah that southern soil sucks. Every track in the south seems to have that problem where you drag a bunch of sand/gravel on your hot tires when you get on track. I guess at CMP it sucks more because as soon as you get on track you go through T1, whereas at Roebling you have over a 1/4 mile of shaking that off on the straightaway before the first turn. The kink though...I'm pretty sure at least one of those people who crashed hard and ended up taken to the hospital collided with someone. Lots of people try to pass in that turn and it's a fast fuckin turn, so if you mess up, it'll bite you hard. But there's nothing really wrong with the turn itself. They just need to put curbing on there so it's clearer where the edge is.

noles19 likes this.
  5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

my first time there was 2014. there was no cell service, and very little power options. being 45 mins from food or stores was tough. at least they've been actively making improvements to make it better. they have fiber coming to do a public Wifi there in the future.

6. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

RRR does have fuel options...they sell it out of the conex where fuel pumps used to be. You buy it by the 5 gal pail. Not all sure what you can get, but you can get it at the track.

7. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

CMP, as of last year, has new fuel pumps like Summit Point. The sand in T1 is there all the time, so at least it is predictable. @50Joe I ran my MT07 in Lightweight Twins SB and Formula 2 last year after the Endurance race and had folks to race with in both.

Jon Wilkens and 50Joe like this.