1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 Carillo H beams. A bit longer than oem rods?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by regularguy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

yep, thats why when i use busa pistons (like in busa's) we machine piston deck.

As RM says... 50-60 is so back yard hack a tune... good god..this forum never stops amazing me at times..

Best of luck.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

No experience with SVs, but that seems really high to me unless you're running rocket fuel or craaaazy duration cams?

3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Agree

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Mr Sunshine likes to replace cases yearly...:D

5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I'm not saying it's the correct way to do it, I'm just saying it's been done and it was very common back when Suzuki was paying for LWTSS. Guys would buy crashed bikes, cut the head, degree the cams, put their favorite MR whatever in the tank and go.

6. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Dont you guys have a monster long straight away at your track?

7. ed who?

at Portland but then again Mr Sunnyshine RARELY even races let alone at PIR... but YES your point is spot on Benprobst that why when i did SV650's from 99-03 we went pretty much undefeated and no where NEAR 030" off the heads... people like chris dont understand compression and how it affects top speed.... just CUT IT DOWN...i guess.. then again the guy works with company that thought Windows8 was better.. :crackup:

Not hard to make a winning prod/ss SV650 over 78rwhp without taking that much off heads...but again i love this forum at times..

t minus 3....2..... until Mr Sunshine cries foul and i have "lied once again"

lunch over..back to milling .028" off these R6 heads... :eek::eek:

8. benprobst

Lol, people always wonder why I tell them my road America motors are my slowest. :D

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Here we go with the "my dick is bigger than yours". :Poke:

Save that for the "post your dyno run" thread I started a while back..:up:

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Calculated, buretted, or estimated?

11. benprobst

None. Imagined. Just like everyone who has imaginary 95hp SV 650s.

12. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

Could you explain how compression relates to top speed? Explain like I'm 5, I never even thought about this. :bow:

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

HAHAHA:D

14. ed who?

:crackup: settle down.. i was pointing out that we NEVER ran that small a CC and had no issue with fast SV650's back in the day. I think its funny to read guys cutting heads down .030" thats all. If it works for you then all the more for ya.. like rick states too.. how are you getting these compression ratio numbers?

:beer:

15. benprobst

It's capable of being extremely in depth and complicated. And there is real math and experience behind the end result. But pretty simply compression is great for getting things going. Coming off of corners. Short bursts of acceleration. Dyno runs. However when you're at a long track you need to look at what the motor is doing. Of course the motor is an air pump. That's a simple as it gets. When you're trying to get that pump moving compression and big bangs help a lot. But when the motor is already moving. It has already accelerated both its internals and the vehicle it's pushing it turns back into an air pump. And once it's moving that fast for that long the compression actually works against you and the inertia you have created. At that point you just want the most efficient system of getting that piston to go back down after the power stroke without slowing the next piston down too much on its way up.

16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Zlock built Sunshine's motor so I guess Zlock told him he had 14:1 compression.

17. ed who?

no pretty sure he doesnt use ZLock. Dan & Dale Zlock great folks! IMO :up: they are more into BIG sv's.

I think Sunshines SV650 blew up like first weekend or such last year..i dont recall as i dont care.. "detonation" i think it was called :crackup:

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

U4.4 and 2nd gen cams for intake and exhaust, degreed to 104. Its not that much compression.

I've replaced my cases twice. First time was due to not balancing the rotor after pulling weights off. The second time was after breaking my crank under the rod. That crank had 6 years of rain and track days after 13k street miles. That's pretty good.

So no I'm not just breaking cases nor and I running rocket fuel.

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

My first build was a SS build and Dan did this one.

My second build was a lighter crank, stock bore flat top pistons and Zlocks race rods. Dan did the crank work, installed the rods on the crank, cced the heads for me and gave me a ton of advice on putting it together. I wanted to give it a go so it was great help. That motor did well.

The third build I ended up needing new cases cause I didn't balance the rotor. Dan did his case mod to it and balanced the rotor. I had Fuzzy do the build on this one (he consulted with Dan on aspects of this) He did some head porting and degreed the 2nd gen intake cams for intake and exhaust. We also put in Zlocks valve springs and retainers. This one lasted 17 laps as the piston hit the valve or the valve otherwise broke. We also removed one base gasket in this setup from previous setups so it appears it was a tad too tight. :)

The next build we went to 2mm over pistons, replaced all the valves with new ones, installed a manual cam chain adjuster and added the base gasket back in. This one lasted the rest of the year until I broke the crank towards the very end of the year. I believe it broke because I kept hitting the rev limiter due to being used to the Triumph and the SV spinning up faster than it with less of a rev range.

So Dan does all of my machining. I also use all of his parts and I listen intently to any of his advice. So you can say I use Dan alot.

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Dan CCed the heads for me and taught me how to determine the CR based on the pistons and squish I was using. So the CR is the static CR. I should care but don't care what the dynamic CR is.