1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 Carillo H beams. A bit longer than oem rods?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by regularguy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Yikes. mine just eats intake valves since I don't have airfilters, but I got 3 years out of the motor like that.

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The first choice rebuild the bike actually needed it.

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

????

4. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I've gone two seasons on a moderately built motor, that's about as much as I am comfortable. By that time it needs a valve job, rod bearings, rings and maybe a crank bearing on the flywheel side. However my seasons are a lot more than ten races.

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yeah I need to go back to school. :) I'm just saying that first rebuild I did when the motor was a SBK it really needed the rebuild and that was one season worth.

6. White98z

White98z Member

I have had a superbike motor in one my sv for three full years. Last week pulled and torn it down. Low compression both cylinders. Only thing really wrong other then new bearings need both jugs were need for clearance issues on front and rear of jug. But no other issues and been more then happy with it.

7. White98z

White98z Member

What r u hoping for numbers compared to your old motor?

8. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

I do not know what those pistons look like.. but you did say they are dished. So, (if the rulz allow) why not machine the top of the pistons and NOT use a thick base gasket. Yes you may need to notch the valve reliefs, but in effect you should get more compression that way. Just my $0.02 worth..
    Ron

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

That's an option..

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What work was done to the bike and on your dyno what sort of power did it make?

11. White98z

White98z Member

The motor was a full spears motor. Crank rods and 2mm over bore pistons. Fully ported heads, spears cams. First time engine was put together it did 86 on first build pretty sure it was close to 90 (with 4.4) on the last build. It ran very well just had a little bit of a charging issue. Should be back in the bike and on the Dyno again.

In those three years prolly did 30 full race weekends (with fri practice) and 3 times that many track days.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  12. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

This is correct and normal. Something isn't right with your combo sunshine. 10 10 lap races is two weekends of racing. If you have to rebuild 85-90 hp motors everyother weekend something isn't right. Once a season is great and ideal but normally shit still looks pretty good.

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I'm quoting my original engine builders maintenance schedule. I don't come up with this stuff on my own.

I'm not having to rebuild it every other weekend...once a year is the schedule. Just had an issue with one of the motors. :)

14. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Kinda. What you said was 10 ten lap races is a season and your motor is suggested to be rebuilt after that much milage. That's like 200 miles. Not including practice. So your motor builder is telling you to rebuild you 85-90 hp motor with high dollar bottom end every 200 miles?

15. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

SV racers are fags anyway. :)

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Guess so.

Edit: Or my memory totally horrible as its been 4 years since the first build.

17. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I was thinking that too but I'm not an engine builder.

Mine did 3 years and all it needed was intake valves but that's from no air filters. It's pretty stout as well. 92/48 on pump.

18. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

No cylinder scarring? I found that to be my problem without filters.

19. cooker1

cooker1 Well-Known Member

Cmon guys you are scarin me I am runnin stock 1st gen with 2nd gen cams and new rings lightened FW etc. I dont do too bad ! But then again I am an old guy !

20. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Builder said it looked OK. Initial thought was a problem with valves slamming into the seats but then he realized it was from running w/o filters.

In all fairness to build intervals, it is my understanding that faster riders wear out the equipment faster too.