1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 Carillo H beams. A bit longer than oem rods?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by regularguy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Not everyone's SV650 SBK's need that kind of maintenance. I know of more than a few top/championship ones that go well past full season, 2-2,500 miles between refresh/builds...

2. ed who?

Greg builds SOLID SV's and as i said, not all of us need to redo every 1000 miles..thats pretty high IMO. I know Gregs last way past 1,000 miles as well... but maybe Mr Sunshine is just SO hard on it, his engine builder requires it. Hell my R6's go TWICE that long with guys much faster/harder on them..

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

In your experience, are the faster guys always harder on equipment, or is it a matter of riding style?

As much as I bust your balls on other stuff, I know the riders that are on your equipment are no slouch, but that you also have some slower guys too. Genuinely curious.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

In my experience neither. I think it is mostly to people building it to much and pushing limits or not keeping up with normal regular maintenance, adjusting things and making sure everything is right all the time.
    We had motors with 4-5 seasons on them winning races, running endurance and some high milage. Other than crank snap from time to time you should have no problem if built right and maintained.

5. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

What type of maintenance is possible without sending the motor out to the builder? All I do is oil changes, anything else is a bit beyond me...

6. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

+1 - I just change the oil, try to keep it clean, started running air filters and don't bounce it off the limiter.

Also I was told to let the bike warm up on its own in the morning and get a good heat soak into the motor (none of that blipping stuff), then shut it off. Warm up shortly before your race.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I do that too. I also try to hold the rpm's up to 2500-3000 on the warm up as that helps with oil pressure.

8. TWF2

You can adjust clutch mechanism, sync cables on flats, lube cables, change clutch pack if needed, oil and filter, check valve clearances, change plugs, change plug caps or make sure they don't rattle, check wire connections, chain and sprockets, clean everything not just bugs of the screen...etc.
    There is plenty little stuff on sv's to go over on regular bases. Engine internals are not your regular maintenance.

9. Dave_SV

I was more concerned you were referring to engine internals, thanks for clarifying. I take care of all the items you mentioned and now I will be sure to keep the motor clean since it came back all nice and polished :D

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Same here. Go until each cover is hot....not just by water temp.

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Add check screws that hold in fuel injector. :(

12. TWF2

You should have no problem with internals. Like I said, they can run for years.
    You should see some stuff I get. I had guy pull up with bike on trailer it was total mess. I gave him hand full of quarters and sent him to car wash before I would let him unload bike :).

13. Dave_SV

Hahaha that's awesome, glad you didn't send my motor through the car wash ;)

14. ed who?

Spot on, i would have written the same for my riders/experience. Really does depend on riders, i have some guys that will use a R6 clutch every weekend and others can go 2 years. Same on transmissions, etc.. my #1 thing that i stress to all my engine owners/racers is OIL TEMP OIL TEMP... make sure that thing is hot before you rev/leave pits on it.. absolutely critical to have oil temp proper.

15. ed who?

#1 thing racers over look is SPARKPLUGS!

Not just changing them, but removing, CLEANING THREADS! Most todays combustion chambers the lower part of plugs threads are exposed in the CC...this then builds up with carbon, lead, etc and when you do go to pull plugs what happens?? they pull the threads and knacker the shit out of stuff... pull the plugs, give the threads a good clean and check the plug condition..hell you can iphone a pic to your tuner and he can at least tell you if it is ok to keep using...no sorry 2 stroke guys not happening on jet changes..lol.

my biggest easiest yet over looked advice is CLEAN!!!! keep shit clean..the oil..the air filter..the coolant...the engine itself...etc..

16. ed who?

ive been in trouble for throwing a wrench at a rider for cold reving an engine... we made up ;)

But yes ask anyone that has one of my engines and they all think im nuts, over protective parent... i am an absolute nazi on not cold reving engines and like others said like to keep rpm up...thou with most my bikes we run the idles up over 2k generally. Your water has a thermostat..it comes up to temp fast..gives rider false sense of "lets go" but you have to heat soak the cases/oil/internals... i tell my guys to warm up in the am even earlier than you need to, let it get to 90c+ and shut off..itll drop water temp fast but case/cranks/rods/pistons/oil all keeps warming up and getting comfy with each other..then before you head out..feel the stator cover...should be hot to touch (not with glove on of course)

Engines are SO easy to maintain yet so often not.

17. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

LOL...I would've liked to see look on your face when you gave him quarters.. :)

18. TWF2

You should have seen his face, asking does he really need to go to car wash :).
    I actually took him there and was sitting on side smoking while he was washing bike :)

19. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Oh shit...that would have been worth a roll of quarters just to watch.... :)

20. borgy

borgy Well-Known Member

What do you guys think is the best oil for a built motor? Mobil 1 syn, amsoil 20-50, spectro? I know they are all good, just curious to what some of the builders say.