1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by MV, Feb 16, 2008.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

2. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

We just sent a message to the world that we can take down ANY object in LEO from a mobile (ship and probably aircraft as well) platform anywhere on the planet. Every satilite not in a "stationary" orbit crosses vast expanses of international waters. Basically, nothings safe.

A gimpy satellite packed full of top secret gear was just a good excuse to put on the show.

3. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Same reason our ICBM's don't have this feature.. It would take an encrypted signal to trigger the destruct sequence... If it was compromised the results would be most unpleasent.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Makes sense to me.

5. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Even More.

The Pentagon said 1,000 pounds of unspent hydrazine fuel was frozen, said Jonathan McDowell, a Harvard astrophysicist who has worked on NASA research satellites.

If that were the case, it would pose more of a danger than liquid fuel, which would probably burn up on contact with the atmosphere. Hydrazine, which is toxic, can cause nerve damage and breathing problems if inhaled, and is listed as a possible carcinogen.

"If you imagine this big iceberg of frozen hydrazine coming through the atmosphere," he said, some of it could potentially remain solid before it hit the Earth.

But, he said, in his experience working with NASA astronomy satellites, hydrazine fuel would freeze only if it were consistently shielded from the sun. You would expect this errant satellite to tumble, he said, keeping the fuel liquid.

"Why was this satellite's hydrazine frozen when others aren't frozen?" McDowell asked. "I'd like someone to press them on this."

Questions linger on satellite shooting

6. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I wouldn't have wanted self destruct explosive on missiles. It would just be one more way to sabotage missiles. When we loaded test missiles they had self destruct mechanisms onboard.

Hydrazine is also a chemical that was used in some reactor plants for chemistry control. It was added in liquid form. My boat didn't use it. We used highly concentrated amonia. That's wasn't a good thing to spill on a submerged submarine. :wow:

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Let it go!