1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by MV, Feb 16, 2008.

1. MV

MV Well-Known Member

How many here believe State Dept. spokesman Sean McCormack when he says, "It's an attempt to try to protect populations on the ground", regarding the US blowing up a spy satallite thats heading for earth.

.............Or , the US is just showing the Chinese and others around the world , that we can blow satellite's up too?

I'm wondering if anyone is buying this bill of goods? I understand why we're doing it .....just feels like the old adage. "Dont piss on my leg and tell me its raining". I hear Star Wars music off in the distance.

Wera 171

(sorry if this is a repost...didn't see it )

2. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Most likely a bit of each...

Yes, we can do this too;
    No, we don't want anyone to be able to find any useful or interesting pieces;
    No, we don't want anyone getting hurt by falling "Cosmic Debris"

3. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

What are the alternatives to shooting it down?

4. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Not a snowballs chance in hell that we'll hit it. Lastest missile defense shield is a bust.

Satelite will fall harmlessly into th ocean, like all the rest.

5. Robert

So the US is gonna unzip it's fly, and China is going to point and laugh? :D

6. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which would be worse, having it hit by a missile while in orbit or
    letting it fall to ground and hope for the best. Either way, the fuel tank has
    a better than average chance of surviving re-entry and reaching ground
    again. The thought of someone finding and then fooling around with a
    beryllium fuel tank full of hydrazine isn't pleasant.

Either way, we should find out later this week.

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And the ghost of Ronnie Raygun is heard chuckling with the glee of dementia…

8. MV

MV Well-Known Member

:)

9. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Agree.
    Agree.
    I don't think anybody cares that much.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you're wrong you're getting a name change to know nothing.

We should also shoot down the satelite that carries MTv and raise the collective IQ of teenagers. Hopefully we just wing that one and it falls right on Chuckie's head.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

My first thought upon hearing the news. What would really suck is if they fail. Our boys must be pretty confident. Hopefully it will work better than the Patriot missile system.

12. Robert

I've read enough to think the safety concerns are completely bs.

Joint Chiefs of Staff Vice Chairman Gen. James Cartwright said if the hydrazine were released, it'd be over an area "roughly the size of two football fields [where you might] incur something that would make you go to the doctor."

So it's either to send a message to the Chinese, or to pimp up the program before the Obama adminstration tries to cut it.

13. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Thanks for playing, missile defense shield has been batting 0%....like what's going to change?

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You win, you get to shoot your mouth off. You lose, you get to shoot your mouth off with a new name. Win/ win!

15. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Hydrazine fuel my a$$. "Fuel load" is 2.1 lb of plutonium, weapons grade with enough protection to survive re-entry. Slated to land in unfriendly territory. Easier to blow it out of the sky where it will fall into the ocean than risk a spec op.

:Pop:

16. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Well the best alternative would be to determine that based on the decay of the orbit it will strike Canada then do nothing... Basically the same as shooting it down... :up:

If it is determined that it will strike Quebec we should all lament the fact that it does not have a nuclear payload.... :D

17. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Quite a bit of difference between shooting down a ballistic missile and shooting down a sattelite... But then again you have never let logic or facts get in the way of your limited perspective.. :up:

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Cite, please.

19. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Yes there is a big difference, like the know the shape and size of the satellite and they know the trajectory. It's still pretty hard hitting a target travelling 24K mph.

It's 50/50 chance they hit anything.

20. Strick

Strick Good to be king

They don't seem to have a problem docking with the space station.