1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safety wire...

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by thiagoleal23, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Commander_Chaos

Commander_Chaos Hillbilly Genius

Guys tend to do this as if they're going to a safety wiring beauty contest. Nothing wrong with being neat and tidy, but this is supposed to be a functional modification. BTW, if you want to see some nasty safety wiring, go to the National Helicopter museum in King of Prussia, PA.

2. cwick

cwick Well-Known Member

why wouldn't you do the oil gallery bolt? thats not the same bolt as the oil cooler unit is it?

3. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

There are several of them on the motor and most are very hard to get to with a drill. Silicone is acceptable on the oil gallery bolts and probably the least amount of headache. The oil gallery bolts arent something that gets taken loose on a regular basis, so in most cases they stay put on their own. The silicone is just added insurance.

4. cwick

cwick Well-Known Member

awesome. thanks for the heads up. i just finished all my drilling/wiring/siliconing only to find out that the oil gallery plug on one side was weeping a small amount of oil. so naive ol' me i tightened that mother until...i need a new one now.
    *** The oil gallery plugs are aluminum and don't need to be torqued down too tight. See your owners manual for torque specs. Mine call for 5 ft/lb. Too bad I didn't read that before I broke the plug in half.