1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safety wire...

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by thiagoleal23, Jan 18, 2011.

1. thiagoleal23

thiagoleal23 Well-Known Member

Might sound stupid but its my first year racing and im just wondering if anybody will do safety wire on the bike?? I probably can do it myself but don't want to mess it up :/

2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

the nice thing about safety wire is the spool is very large, and you can cut and redo it a thousand times till your happy.

drilling your bolts though, can be tricky. search around here for lots of tips on it.

3. jiffyzx6

jiffyzx6 Well-Known Member

I believe you need to at least wire the oil drain plug, fill cap, oil filter, grips (just be careful with the wire, bend it down not up) and brake caliper bolts... I'm probably missing a few its been a while since I did my bike. its not hard and if you think it should be tied, Tie it lol it won't hurt. I think I went of off ama rules when I did mine... figured if its good enough for them its good enough for me

4. thiagoleal23

thiagoleal23 Well-Known Member

Thankss..... :)

5. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

I know you can read the rulebook but honestly i can be confusing. I think it would help some new guys out if someone would list out what exactly needs to be wired. I would appreciate that. :up:

6. bodie1331

bodie1331 Well-Known Member

Make sure to get a pair of safety wire pliers, it makes it SUPER easy and actually, kinda fun!

7. jiffyzx6

lol I'm as new as you are my first race is in two weeks. if I can find it ill post it unless someone beats me to it... and it is fun lol I got carried away with it and didn't realize it.

8. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

Oil fill
    oil drain
    oil filter
    front caliper bolts
    front brake pad retaining pins
    case cover access holes
    axles
    fork pinch bolts
    exhaust hanger and can and any bolt outside of lower. (Also any springs on aftermarket system from lower out)
    grips
    rear brake caliper bolts and pad pin
    Then you must RTV the oil galley's(on head and misc places)

Not sure i remember 100%,but when not sure WIRE IT lol

9. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

ok questions how do you wire grips? what do u mean by oil gallery? and what is case cover acces holes? sorry im a newb haha

10. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

Might be worth it to take it to a shop and have them do it.

11. jiffyzx6

12. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

The list in the rulebook can be kind of daunting the first time around but once you get it done you'll realize there isnt that much to it. Do what you can, take the drill, wire, and some silicone with you, and show up early. Ask someone at the track to look your bike over for you. Any experienced racer can spot something you missed pretty quick.

13. NoPower

NoPower Active Member

I would say try and talk to someone on here or your local sportbike forum thats in your area that has safety wired a bike. Offer to buy the beer and pizza and I am sure someone would be willing to give you a hand with the safety wiring.:up: It is not really hard to do and like it was said before... wire it up if it looks like crap cut it off and redo until your happy with it. Also maybe check youtube to see if theres anything about safety wiring there. Use a good drill bit to save yourself some headache:D

14. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

I'd bet you there's some place not too far from you that will do it. The guy I bought my SV from paid Washington Cycle Works to do the SV and I have to say, I would definitely consider that route myself.

I'm sure there's a race shop or ten in GA that can hook you up.

15. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

how much should it cost to wire up a bike?

16. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

i think ed bargy's site has a tutorial with pics?

17. Hfd1motorsports or Marietta Motorsports are two that come to mind (in the Atlanta area). You can take your bike to them and they will prep it.

18. Oh, get some good drill bits.

It will save money in the long run and much aggravation.

19. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

It's easy to do once all of the bolts and whatnot are drilled.

The big thing is to get quality drill bits and plenty of them, because they will break.

Once everything is set to go, the wiring part is fun and easy. :)

20. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

:p :D