1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safety wire...

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by thiagoleal23, Jan 18, 2011.

1. :D

2. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

3. thiagoleal23

thiagoleal23 Well-Known Member

thankss guys!!! woohoo!! talladega here I come :)

4. randomwalker

randomwalker Well-Known Member

How would I safety-wire the front/rear axle if I also wanted to use axle sliders?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Angle through the side of the nut/axle.

6. six4six

six4six professionalgreasemonkey

are axles with internal hex on both sides with pinch bolts really neccesary to wire? It seems a little redundant if the axle and the nut are captured by the forks and the pinch bolts are wired.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes they are. With racebikes the main thing to remember is if it can come lose it will. I personally wire a lot more than our rules require. I'd rather not have a race ruined or a rider hurt because I was too lazy to use a little wire.

8. Commander_Chaos

Commander_Chaos Hillbilly Genius

The other thing to remember is that the guy at tech is well within his authority to insist that you wire something before hitting the track. Way easier to wire extra stuff at home than to get to the track and go begging for a drill. And bits. And a punch. And a vise...

9. Freddie

Freddie Member

What about hose clamps and how do you wire them.

Thanks

10. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Not required for WERA, but not a bad idea to do anyway.

I like to wire thru the last slot in the "tail", twist, and then wrap it all the way around the hose back to the screw head. No drilling required.

11. creator

creator Well-Known Member

Are banjo bolts required to be safety wired at front calipers, rear caliper, and at master cylinder?

12. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Nope.

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You might as well learn to do it now because sooner or later you're going to be doing it at the track in a hurry.

14. :stupid:

I have shit safety wired that isn't in the rulebook. After the bike is "tech legal", i will look around for other shit that i think could possibly work its way loose.

You have to remember this is for your safety and the safety of others. You should WANT to safety wire as much as possible, not because WERA says so, but because it is YOUR ass on the line at 15k RPM and 150mph.

15. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

+1 my first time as a newbie I would twist them...:eek:

16. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Saftey wire also provides visual confirmation that the bolt was tightened in the first place. It's not a guarantee but who would put in a bolt finger tight then safety wire it? I mean, it's possible to put on brake caliper bolts and say to yourself "I'll torque them later" then, blammo.

17. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

^^^
    +1

18. cwick

cwick Well-Known Member

has anyone ever paid to get their bolts drilled? this seems to be the "hardest" and most problematic part.
    If you've paid for full safety wire, what did you pay?

19. KBacon

KBacon Well-Known Member

I've seen places that will drill & safety wire your bike to wera spec for $100-125