1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safety wire...

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by thiagoleal23, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Commander_Chaos

Commander_Chaos Hillbilly Genius

I have a set of harbor freight pliers and they suck. They ceased to cut wire soon after I bought them and have poor grip. They also only turn one way. I end up using needle-nose vise grips to twist and wire cutters to cut.

I'll be treating myself to a good pair this season, probably from a vendor at the track.

2. CNI Dawg

CNI Dawg Well-Known Member

Finally gave up on cheap safety wire pliers :(

Got a set of Snap-On reversible safety wire pliers
    They work perfectly all the time with no problems

Ya they were expensive but they are SO nice !

3. primo

primo Well-Known Member

Can you please name all the parts that can be silicone and be ok with tech?

4. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Brake pad retaining pins and oil gallery plugs on the engine. I would really wire everything but the oil gallery plugs, but tech will accept the silicone on the pad retaining pins on the outter edge where the allen wrench goes.

5. primo

primo Well-Known Member

What about water and oil hose clamps? I see people saying yes you can and others no you can't. What is it?

6. CNI Dawg

CNI Dawg Well-Known Member

The rule book has the answers you seek
    See Chapter 8

http://maps.wera.com/rulebook/?x=1098#ch8

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You absolutely can wire them. However you do not have to.

8. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

9. Gorilla

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I can't belive that found it's way here. I was about 4 hours out of surgery to have my wisdom teeth removed when I did that for the RC51 guys. I should have stayed on the couch.

11. mag

mag Well-Known Member

still debating on how to wire the brake pad retaining pins (i have brembo brakes). the pins are so thin that there's not enough meat to drill through them. any ideas?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Silicone.

13. mag

mag Well-Known Member

i guess just put it around the part of the pin that sticks out from the caliper so that there's some around the pin and some on the caliper? cause the ones i've seen that use silicone, the pin is screwed in and is recessed/flush with the caliper. then the silicone is placed on top of the bolt head.

14. Gorilla

Unscrew the pin put silicone on the threads screw it back in.

15. mag

mag Well-Known Member

the pins on my calipers do not screw in, they slide in and are held in place with clips that provide tension.

16. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Post up a pic if you can. There might be an easy way to wire them.

17. primo

primo Well-Known Member

You talking about the 03 04 r6?

18. Just showed the Misses this web page. I asked her how this guy did on his safety wire job. She gave the ugliest face. :down:
    She's a jet engine mech, and safety and quality inspector.

First, do not safety wire neutral.

Lesson #2 if you're going to do a safety wire "howto" .. learn how to do a proper, neat and safe safety wire. The whole idea is doing it right to be safe.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Do it 4 hours after you come out of general anesthesia let's see how well you do it. :D

20. Heck no! She does the wiring on the bike. My work looks worse than those photos. She's since trained me to be better but, she still goes back over my work to do it the right way. Not to mention she does it all by hand. Thuggas don't need SW pliers.