1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R.I.P. Nelson's Ledges

Discussion in 'General' started by fastedyamaha, May 18, 2014.

1. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Nelson's with a repave and all of the trees, etc removed to allow proper run off would be one of the most fun tracks around. Holy shit would it be fast.

Otherwise, it's a total shit hole. Besides wrecking in the kink, the worst thing that ever happened to me was walking that track! F'n scary!

Is Gingerman really getting a full repave this Fall? If it did, I bet the turn out there would be fantastic.

2. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Nick. I was just at BHF this past sunday to pick up tires from Farrell. ( and see a bunch of my local friends)

The place was nicely filled up with decent sized grids.

There is a momentum that CCS at BHF is just what everyone around here does, because that is what they do. It is close to two large metro areas and the money that comes with it. I would guess that many at BHF do not go much farther than Road America for any other races.

In my head I can see a awesome Nelson, the thing that is lacking is a bank account to do it. Its easy to dream.

It's too bad the winter hung on so long this year. I think the repave and layout modifications planned at Gingerman could make it a great and safe venue. ( + reversible)

The Corvette track may be just the ticket for the early season NC races, when snow is still a possibility in the Mi lattitudes

3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

If that's the worse thing that ever happened to you there, then I assume you never had to take a dump there during a 24hr. If so, good use of phrasing when you say shit hole....cause that's exactly where the dump went.

4. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

They have stalls now!

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Still, 10 years later? I don't disagree with you at all, given what they did - but it's been a long time. Can't you two get together for a beer and work it out? Or get some lawyers together and work it out? Or get me to call them, set them straight and work it out?

What do you see happening with Nelson on the current schedule? Even if they "fix" those issues, it will surely be another poor turnout. BHF, too expensive. Gingerman, probably the same (especially after the repave). NCM would be great - I assume if/when that's on a schedule for 2015, it'd be a combined event of some sort ...

Oh wait, this will lead into the discussion of having three northern-based tracks on the 2015 National schedule. Perfect!

6. tittys04

I would be tempted to make the long ass drive from DC to do Gingerman if they repave it. It would definitely have been more convenient from STL, but I would like to try it out sometime.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, doesn't matter how long. And yet again - it wasn't just the stupid shit Dick pulled on here about the faxes Chris sent. There were many other things. As long as they own the track and Evelyne owns WERA, WERA money will not go to that facility.

No clue about Nelson at this point, have to wait and see. I've given up trying to convince Evelyne to gamble on Gingerman, every time I get her to let me do it we lose a lot of money. Same for BHF - the issue there was turnout but also the cost is skyhigh for that level of track. They can get it because they're close to Chicago but it's not worth it for us.

2015 is going to be very interesting across the board.

8. tittys04

I saw you mention something like that on the book of faces too... care to elaborate?

9. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Now there's a great reason to have it on the NC region. Problem is that it'll probably be a SE region combined and those damn fools are fast. :)

Oh well, maybe we'll get a race weekend that is 55 and partly cloudy with a 30% chance of rain and all the SE guys will stay in their warm beds. To us NC guys that weather is balmy :D

As for Gingerman. I can't figure out why it would be a worse turn out compared to Grattan. Yeah it's not quite as interesting of a track, but for a NC region event, it's closer to the "home base of Indy/Columbus"

I'm not even counting the hope that Chicagoland will feed that race, since this is what passes for a motorcycle there :)

[​IMG]

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope.

11. tittys04

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just know we're working on some stuff, should be able to announce soon.

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I've heard about some of the other stuff that happened. Like I said, I don't disagree with you. I'd just like to think after ten years, something would give. I won't nudge any further though.

I don't mind not going to BHF. It was something new, but there are other tracks I'd rather visit for that kind of drive. As for Gingerman, I think it's worth another shot - at the beginning of the season though. I bet they would be willing to work with WERA to get their place on the schedule again.

Cool.

14. Crybaby™

Jerk :)

I guess that leaves it open for us to speculate wildly with absolutely no facts whatsoever to back it up. :D

OK. I'll go first. WERA either buys out DMG/AMA or just starts a competing national series with the help of "he who will remain nameless" It's already fully funded with huge purses and contingencies. And it will contain 12-15 races on the schedule. They will be piggy backed on many of the WERA regional events. Regional Saturday/Nationals Sunday.

Done and Done. Boom You all heard it here first.

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Can we change your post count to only reflect posts that actually add value to the conversation?

:D

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I've crashed at both (multiple times at Putnam :D) and I still won't miss NL if/when it goes away. Both Putnam and Pittrace are well worth the extra half hour travel time over NL for me. The 'Vette track is a reasonable 5 hours from me, closer than Grattan or Gingerman.

I've always said "if you can go fast at NL, you can go fast at NL"

17. Crybaby™

PSSHT. That would hurt eveyone here way more than it it hurts me.

Besides, someone has to put these amazing ideas into Sean's head.

You'll thank me when it's a reality in 2015 :)

:crackup:

18. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have RELIABLE information on the asking price for Nelson Ledges?

I have to believe a proper repave would be half a million dollars on top of whatever someone paid for it. Then there's the EPA stuff, the fact that the bathrooms are probably violating some health codes, and the tech shed/scoring tower is just waiting to collapse on itself.

I'm worried it's too far gone to be brought back.

19. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Since we're dreaming:

Plus whatever it costs to remove half of a forest!

20. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

This really saddens me. Nelson is 0ne of my favorites, it had "character".I don't think I've seen one person on here who liked Nelson.I'ts been called a "shithole" and proibably worse.I guess I'm oldschool, if you didn't like someplace or thought it was too dangerous ,you just didn't race there.I hope Nelson will come back on old friend. :(