1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Licensing school/Mock Race

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Gorilla George, Jan 9, 2011.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

perhaps a thread with the various course flags pictured might help new racers.

2. E Bargy

E Bargy Well-Known Member

The mock race is not really a race, it is more of a "Stating Proceedure Rehearsal"

3. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

which is the same as a Starting Procedure Rehearsal. :D

4. Beat me to it :crackup:

5. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

One thing that really stuck out in my mind while taking the race school last Spring (with 2-Fast for WMRRA) was just how much emphasis they put on the difference of track days and racing. Obviously none of us have ever raced so the fact that they spent a lot of time trying to mentally prepare us for the close quarters and iffy passes (for a track day rider) was very welcome indeed as it really made the first couple races a lot less stressful as we were given fair warning of what to expect and what to be comfortable with.

The other major source of stress for almost all of us was practicing starts - who ever launches at 8500rpm at a track day or as a street rider? I'm an experienced rider but that one skill had me stressed out when I lined up the first couple times to practice them at the school. Like most skills, I found it good to first become consistent and smooth, and then work on increasing speed via higher rev's and more/longer slippage.

6. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

A little off topic. If a local drag track is nearby and has an open night, you can use them to practice starts

7. Yep, my first launch ever was in the Mock Race.

In the famous words of Ed Bargy "just go".

Nobody is going to win a Novice race on the launch. When the green flag goes up, just go. Don't worry about trying to get the perfect launch to shoot out of there like a rocket, just get the bike going and get on with the race.

Getting an extra 2' on somebody at the beginning will not have any outcome on the results. But killing the bike, popping a wheelie etc will.

You can't win a race on the start...but you can damn sure lose one.

8. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Who needs spell check on this site... Plenty out there to help you when you make a mistake.

HA :crackup:

9. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

The main point too is to have fun, keep it on two wheels and come back the next weekend. Race school is like a little sample of racing... one taste will bring you back for more....

:D

10. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Like crack, only legal. :up:

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, I was in that race. I was on the CBR900RR and my son on the orange MZ Skorpion.

I took the class 13 years ago at IRP and then again at Nashville this past September. Same thing was told at the beginning of both classes. The instructor said one of you guys will go down today.

13 years ago, guy goes down first time out (you know the guy, brand new suit, brand new bike). At Nashville, there were only 4 of us in the class. Sure enough, one guy goes down (pretty hard too).

Is there ever a class that somebody doesn't go down?!?

12. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Yup, great advice! I've already contacted the local crew at the 1/8th mile a mile away from my house to see if/when they have open nights so I can get in a few practice runs.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can just pull into hot pit on a trackday. Though a dragstrip is nice because you have a nice benchmark to guage your improvement. (60' and 330' times)

A good 60' is ~1.8 or lower. 1.6 is faster than 75% of the riders out there. 1.5 is flat out hauling and easily puts you in the top 5%. (for riders on a stock height/wheelbase bike).

14. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

On Ed's old site, the schedule contained dates for both the "Race School" and the "Advanced Riders School" I was told, I think by Todd, that the Advanced Rider school helped you become a better, more consistent and thus faster riders whereas the Race School was the same thing as the Advanced school but that there was a section that went over the racing stuff such as procedures and flags. Looking at Ed's site now and the schedule I only see "One Day School" dates. Which school is this? Can I get a racer's licenses here AND learn to be smoother?

15. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Doesnt matter as long as you take a piss before your track session. ;-) Sup John- the wera school is the way to go, its the best way to get your license and go racing, not the other schools. my 2 cents. Lemme know what your plans are this year!

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:stupid:

17. ToddClark

its all one in the same, Laz, even last year. The techniques Ed teaches apply across the board, whether youre going to race or not. When someone takes the school, they now have the option of taking the written test and mock race/"starting procedure" :D. If they opt out, then they just completed the "advanced riders school", if they take the test and mock race (pass and dont crash) then they'll recieve their cert to take to WERA, and theyve taken the "race school.

Whether youre doing trackdays or decide to go racing, all the same procedures and techniques apply .

18. ToddClark

an the answer to THIS question would be "yes". :up:

19. Karl_L

Karl_L Well-Known Member

Ed is the man. If he says "Stating Proceedure Rehearsal" then it's "Stating Proceedure Rehearsal" :tut:

20. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Yea thats what I said Todd. I just threw me off because I didnt see it called 2 different schools like it was on the old site. So after I complete Bargy school, pass the written and mock race then I get a certificate to give to WERA and then I get licensed?