1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Licensing school/Mock Race

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Gorilla George, Jan 9, 2011.

1. The main thing to keep in mind when taking your school (whether it is Ed Bargy's or WERA's) is to ride within yourself.

Your instructors have been racing for years and years and likely have many podiums behind them. You are NOT going to impress them.

If you crash, your weekend is over and you have lost your fees.

For obvious safety reasons you need to be able to ride at pretty good pace, but you do not have to run a Podium-worthy race pace to get your license. Too many times people crash trying to win the Mock race; you don't want to be "that guy". You need to illustrate the ability to properly control your motorcycle (and yourself) on the race track and around others.

Keep a cool head, run good lines and don't wreck or run off the track trying to go fast. Just be smooth, consistent and SAFE, that will impress them more than anything. :up:

2. WhiteKnight01

WhiteKnight01 Racer wahnahbee

But you would still have to run a "decent" pace right? How many laps are the mock races?

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I don't think there are any time or speed requirements for the mock race. You just need to be safe, predictable and consistant. If I remember correctly, I think it is 3-4 laps. The cool part is all the marshalls, cornerworkers, and regular racers will be watching and cheering, they know it's ur into into racing...good luck...:up:

4. BURGIO

BURGIO Well-Known Member

The mock race is one of the most watched races of the day. At Nashville the mock race was only 5 laps I believe, where all the other races are 10.

5. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

How many times does the school go on track? What time does the class start?

6. It all depends on how you define "decent". There is a defined % of the leaders pace at which the grid marshall can pull you off the track for safety reasons; i think it is 120%, but i can't remember exactly.

No, you don't need to run a top 5 or even top 10 pace to get your license. But for safety reasons, you shouldn't be 20 seconds off pace either...that could potentially be dangerous for everybody.

The Mock races are usually 4-5 laps.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

someone crashed out yesterday about 3/4 of the way through the class. Sucks for them. Consolation prize would have been a "Trackday Certified" certificate :D

I will say that the control riders for Bargy's school are fantastic and will indulge whatever pace you're capable. (hint: the faster you go the happier they will be) :D

Also Ed pretty much gives you the tools you'll need to be fast. No general "glossy mag" bullshit designed to appeal to engine braking street riders. In terms of information to tuition ratio... best deal out there! :up:

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I clocked over 100 miles at jennings. Typical trackday there is about 135ish.
    Class started about 8am on hot pit. Went till a lil after 6pm.

9. Commander_Chaos

Commander_Chaos Hillbilly Genius

When I did the mock race, they didn't say anything to us about finishing other than to not crash. I didn't push all that hard and finished mid-pack. It's for making sure you understand the rules, not identifying future champions.:)

10. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was wondering about the WERA school. I'm not going to be able to make it down for a Bargy school.

11. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

WERA Rider's School starts at 8 AM Saturday at Most tracks. You will get 3 on-track sessions with classroom sessions in between.

You must pass the written test. You'll have most of Sautrday afternoon to yourself once the written test is done.

The Rider's School mock race is usually the last event of the day. The 411 in Chaotic's original post is pretty good

Been a few years, so things may have chnged a bit. If so, Mongo/DaveK can tell me to STFU and I'll stay clear of here.

12. WhiteKnight01

WhiteKnight01 Racer wahnahbee

What does the written test consist of? Is it open book? ;-) lol

13. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Flags, track etiquitte<sp>, minute board, calls. That kinda stuff. You'll do fine

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  14. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I understand NRS @ Willow Springs is 3 laps and you must be able to lap under 2 minutes.

15. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:crackup: yes, yes they will be.

We also like to get out there and mix it up with you guys in the mock race too. ;) Show some of the guys that "think" theyre fast, what theyre gonna be up against with close passes on their first race weekend. :up:

Again great meeting you, Sat. YOU are going to do great out there. :up:

16. foster

foster Well-Known Member

I really wish the Bargy school was going to be coming a little further north. I don't even see dates on the website for Nashville this year. Is there another good alternative? Is there much technique taught at the WERA race school?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's not as in depth as Eds school but our instructors are good racers and will definitely help you out.

18. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Another thing to remember that licensing schools are not 'go fast' schools. They are there to assist you in becoming a licensed competitor.

Expect to be educated about race protocol, from start procedures and flagging, to what to look for in the rulebook (Class structure, safety wiring, etc.) and apply it to the weekend.

While most instructors will be willing to talk to you about how to go faster and maybe give you equipment pointers, that's not their main job. If you want to advance your riding technique, choose a school specifically designed to help you in that area.

Most of all, have fun!

19. foster

foster Well-Known Member

Thanks. :up: I plan on taking the school at Nelson 4/30.

20. Very good point Alexa :up:

The term "race school" is kinda misleading if somebody doesn't know any better.

It isn't a school to teach you how to go fast and/or race. You should already be at that point when you take the school and the point of the school is for you to prove it so you can be licensed for competition.

There are some out there that are more like a "school" (the Code R.A.C.E. school comes to mind), but that isn't the point of WERA's "school". Like Mongo said, the instructors are good guys and will help as they can, but teaching somebody how to race (or go fast) isn't their primary job.